Go to's from days gone by...

By the about the early 90's I had settled on a Castrol blend in 5w30. I believe it may have been called Syntec? Did many miles on a Sentra SR20DE and an Altima, both purchased new. Also occasionally used a "Turbo oil" version of the same. That one was highest rated by the likes of Consumer Reports.

Exxon Super-Flo from 1990. Over 30 years ago.

F8BCF166-D3BE-4B7C-A538-0A986E11463C.jpg

Because Dad had an ESSO/EXXON Gas Station("Put a Tiger in Your Tank") from '55-'79, he had stashed cases(24 quarts) of Uni-Flo, SuperFlo etc. Yup, this is when cases of oil had 24 quarts. Dad also kept ATLAS tires, coolant, belts & hoses and ESSO/EXXON ATF.

These ATLAS product above, were proprietary to ESS0/EXXON. And Dad kept quite a stash of Purolator(white can) oil filters from the '70s, which is what we used at the station. Once they were all gone, we bought Havoline oils and LEE or FRAM oil filters for sometime. Keep in mind that this was in the late '70s, early '80s.

Last edited:
I used a pretty good amount of Superflo. When I couldn't get it, I switched to Sears Spectrum for a while. Later, I used Western Auto private brand of oil, too. All on sale, of course.
I was using Superflo from Walmart when they first came to town, it was originally around $8.00 for a 5 quart jug, when it went up to $10.00 I thought that was just robbery!

Tim Richmond was a cool guy and heck of a racer!

Tim was a natural fast, fast driver....

People think anyone can drive a car fast... Not remotely true.

When 0.3 tenths makes a huge difference... The driver makes the difference.

Tim was fast at Indianapolis... Rookie of the year he ran it. He even rode back to the pit lane on the car of the 500 winner Rutherford.

Tim was fast in Nascar too. He could win road courses and short tracks and superspeedways.

Back