Go to's from days gone by...

I used a lot of GTX Magnatec syn blend a few years ago. You can still get Magnatec of course, but I don't see the blend anymore.

I used Kendall GT1 because all the dragsters in my area used it. It came out of the can green!
Circle track guys around here used it and Pennzoil GT. First service station I worked for, the owner raced and used Kendall and got me hooked on it. It was my pick for anything I owned that was a hot rod.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210307-201503_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210307-201503_Chrome.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 12
Circle track guys around here used it and Pennzoil GT. First service station I worked for, the owner raced and used Kendall and got me hooked on it. It was my pick for anything I owned that was a hot rod.
I used Kendall GT straight 50 wt in my new 1975 Kawasaki 900 Z1. 🏍️Pennzoil 10w30 in my other vehicles and I remember the Pennzoil had the exclusive Z7 additive.....it said so right on the bottle!🤟

I used Kendall GT straight 50 wt in my new 1975 Kawasaki 900 Z1. 🏍️Pennzoil 10w30 in my other vehicles and I remember the Pennzoil had the exclusive Z7 additive.....it said so right on the bottle!🤟
I'm trying to work a deal on some late 80s GT1 20w50 right now. It would be great for the old ford.

The last few days I've been thinking about brands of oil I used to use that are no longer being marketed and sold. In the late nineties and early to late 00s my go to for shop oil was Exxon Superflo when it was on sale at Auto Zone and the red bottle STP oil that dollar general used to sell, because it was cheap and pqia test showed it to be a good serviceable lube. Plus both came in cool red bottles Haha. Anyway, what was your go to that is no longer around?

cam2.jpg

I used ARCO Graphite in a 1978 Mazda GLC. I kept it 7 years, got tired of fixing rust, and sold it to an office mate, whose wife drove it for years. Had many miles on it when they finally gave it up. A mechanic who was changing some seals cussed the oil, asking " what the **** is this nasty stuff?" I had one quart left and since it was the right viscosity, used it for gear lube in my 1985 Civic Si. It shifted much better. And it did leave a film of graphite on EVERYTHING.

Wolf's Head was an independent until Pennzoil bought them out in the early '60s. When I started at Pennzoil in 1985, there were still a couple of truck bodies in service that were said to be from old Wolf's Head trucks.
Even though they were just a few miles apart, Wolf's Head was mostly run separately from Pennzoil. It was sold through independent distributors, whereas Pennzoil was sold through distributors and in direct operations.
In the mid '90s, direct Pennzoil operations started selling about half a dozen WH products in quarts. It sold quite well as a less expensive alternative to Pennzoil.
After Shell bought out Pennzoil, they spun off Wolf's Head, saying as a regional product, it didn't meet their strategic vision. It was replaced with Formula Shell, with which I was never able to sell as successfully as Wolf's Head.
I still have a few Wolf's Head trinkets around.

Long time members of this site will not find it surprising when I mention that my go to oil was the green formula of GC 0w30. I was so disappointed when that disappeared years ago. But I'm equally impressed with the 5w30 ESP Formula M1 that I run in my Corvette. The tweaked formula of this oil isn't quite as good (on paper anyways) but still pretty great.

Back