Go to quick lube place or keep running oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's tougher to ask around than you think.

For the asking and driving alone it pays to get whatever few tools are needed.

Don't dump oil onto any parking lot.

My daughter uses an oil change shop nearby that allows her to watch the work. Those are the only oil change shops I recommend. She brings her own synthetic oil and filter. They rotate tires - look at a few fluid levels and top-off if necessary and charge her $35. Just an oil change is $20, for she doesn't want tires rotated every 5K.

Shop around. Odds are, you won;t have to check more than 2-3 places. Shop non-national chain oil change places. They operate as independent-owned.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Shop around. Odds are, you won;t have to check more than 2-3 places. Shop non-national chain oil change places. They operate as independent-owned.

The local VIOC ctrs employ local people and you get to watch what they're doing but to your point, I can't imagine it'd be hard to find a family run shop that charges reasonable rates for a spill and fill. Yelp and the local BBB might be good resources to begin with..

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BucDan
Originally Posted by Donald
I avoid the quick lube places. Find an indy shop. Change it at Walmart parking lot.

Lol, wth. Has anyone ever done that? If so, they never say anything?

I have actually lol.
Anyway most AutoZones will allow you to do minor work on your cars in their parking lot

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
She used to find spill & fills for $15 all the time. But not anymore.
Maybe these operators now know her as a repeat cheap bargainer.....lol

The local Good Wheels place that i refer friends to has a blend oil and filter change for $18.99

Local monroe muffler and brakes I can walk to often has Valvoline oil change specials $14.99

I would run the oil longer rather than have a quick lube place touch my car. You'd be surprised how stout modern oils are, especially with your large sump capacity. It'll be fine especially since this sounds like a one-time situation. I know you just downsized, but the tools needed to change oil can be purchased surprisingly cheap... filter wrenches, drain pans, box/ratchet wrench, rubber gloves... maybe a screwdriver or small wrench to remove shield/access panels. You don't need ramps, use a driveway/curb arrangement, set the brake and lay down an old towel. If you're looking to have someone else do your oil changes for the long-term, find a local reliable garage (not a quick-lube or dealership)... you bring the materials, they do the labor. This is probably the next best alternative to doing your own oil changes. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back