GM's new 10 speed. Guarantee's a fun ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: ZX11Rebel
Isn't this "GM" 10 speed the transmission that was actually designed and patented by FORD in their joint venture?

Yes it is. They've been talking about it for years now, this is its first real world use. Rest assured, it really is a joint venture, as GM brings a lot of slushbox expertise to the table as well as Ford...

GM did invent the thing. No surprise they can contribute a lot of resources.

Ford is also not the first company to use their transmission technology. BMW, Ferrari, Jaguar, Rolls, Bentley, etc.

Ford also bought a bunch of Hydramatics in the 40' & 50's for their Lincoln line.

I don't build near as many "Race Prepped" Powerglides anymore, 2 speed TH400's are the hot thing right now, Stock TH400 cases take more power than stock Powerglide cases & a lot easier to find. Though I do keep 3 or 4 Aluminum Powerglide cores around.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Silverado12
The Gas Monkey Dart actually had the Hellcat engine w/powerglide. The Roadkill Charger had the complete Hellcat drivetrain and lost the race if my memory serves me correctly.

I'm not familiar with the episode but wouldn't the Charger weigh massively more than the Dart?

Yes, even BEFORE they started modifying. The Dart went on more of a diet than General Mayhem did. Gas Monkey built their car to win the drag, Roadkill built Mayhem to have all sorts of fun.

That's sorta the whole point of the discussion- if you JUST want to win the quarter mile, more gears in the gearbox don't necessarily help. But if you want the car to do very well at the drags, cruise 85 on the toll road and get 20-something mpg, and run a decent road course all without swapping rear gearsets, changing convertor stall speeds, etc. then more gears works great- its more practical and flexible. The Powerglide for drags is a one-point optimization.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
The Gas Monkey Dart actually had the Hellcat engine w/powerglide. The Roadkill Charger had the complete Hellcat drivetrain and lost the race if my memory serves me correctly.

I'm not familiar with the episode but wouldn't the Charger weigh massively more than the Dart?

Yes, even BEFORE they started modifying. The Dart went on more of a diet than General Mayhem did. Gas Monkey built their car to win the drag, Roadkill built Mayhem to have all sorts of fun.

That's sorta the whole point of the discussion- if you JUST want to win the quarter mile, more gears in the gearbox don't necessarily help. But if you want the car to do very well at the drags, cruise 85 on the toll road and get 20-something mpg, and run a decent road course all without swapping rear gearsets, changing convertor stall speeds, etc. then more gears works great- its more practical and flexible. The Powerglide for drags is a one-point optimization.

Exactly. The Powerglide was the right tool for the job at hand, win the race.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

Exactly. The Powerglide was the right tool for the job at hand, win the race.

Perhaps. The problem is you are running two cars of very different weights. With the same engine, the heavier car is going to lose. That's how drag racing works. The same car, multiple runs with the ZF and then multiple runs with the 'glide would show you the difference between the two transmissions in that application. As it stands, how do you chalk the victory up to the 'glide when it was in a lighter car? You can't.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: dailydriver

Is the new, actual M2, going to be offered with BOTH?

Nope; it either gets a six speed manual or the seven-speed dual-clutch transmission. If I had the coin for an M2 I'd definitely want three pedals.

That's what I meant, unless you were being facetious.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
You mean there are still racers NOT using aftermarket cases for Powerglides?

Several, Lots of guys want Trans Brake, Reverse Manual Valve Body Powerglide in their 500-700hp weekend bracket racers, They don't need a aftermarket Case, 800-1000hp A Case is recommended.

Stock TH400 Cases will take 2000hp (With a aftermarket Bell Housing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back