GM's 2.7L - Deep Dive

Yuck...I much prefer the cartridge style - so easy to inspect the pleats for debris and health of engine. Also, less impact to the environment.
I don't necessarily have a beef with cartridge oil filters....it is the housing design that seems to have flaws in most applications. It is usually mounted flush to the block to a matching port with a channel or O ring gasket between them. This design has caused many failures on BMWs and other Hengst type applications.

I’d have no trouble considering one of these. In fact, the single turbo I4 is probably less complicated than ford’s twin turbo v6. Fewer turbos, associated lube and cooling lines, fewer camshafts, timing spools, chains guides and tensioners. I also appreciate that Chevy seems to put metal on the top and bottom of their mill (ford uses plastic valve covers and oil pan). This could be quite the “do anything” motor as it could fit into so many things.

I have some older gen 5.3 engines before all the afm stuff. Does this 4 cyl do this crap too ?
Wouldn't want that

It was Mitsubishi, whose IMO cars are even worse than GM(partly why Hyundai still can’t shake off their junk reputation with some, and the bitter taste of K-Cars/Chrysler minivans with Mitsu engines as well as the Plymouth Colts still linger with some) that invented the counter-rotating balance shaft to make I4/I3s more pleasant. It’s nothing new, GM uses them on the 3.8L Buick V6 and the 4.3L V6 truck V6 due to the fact they are based off 90 degree V8s and aren’t naturally “balanced”.
Most k car owners are most likely in dementia mode

Long stroke 4 cylinder reliant on a balance shaft that has already posed issues in service, 2 piece sliding camshaft, no port injectors, owners complaining of poor real world fuel mileage.

I wouldn't touch this thing with a 10 foot pole personally.
Amen to that! GM has a way of introducing some seriously flawed engineering. Look at their track record. (Especially Turbos). 30ft pole IMHO.

GM + New Engine + Turbo + GDI + 4cyl = "You've just been invited to the Wallet-Removal Party. Dinner served@ 7pm. Credits Cards welcome." :LOL:

Great idea to shut down 2 cylinders on a 4 cylinder engine! 🤣🤣🤣👉🤡🌎

GM didn't do this because they think it's a great idea in and of itself. Neither did FCA with MDS.

If that's what it takes to continue to give us gas powered trucks then that's what it takes. Far better to run that than some electric train wreck.

That 4 cylinder makes 8 cylinder power at lower RPMs than the 8. No reason it can't drop down to 2 when you're just sunday strolling around.

Dunno about the GM but in the Ram's you can still disable MDS by either activating TH, or by using the gear limiter and "limiting" it to 8 gears (little trick; you still get all 8 gears but when the limiter is active MDS will never come on).

The race to the bottom continues.

GM = Terrible
Ford = Terrible
Jeep/RAM/Dodge = Terrible
Totoya = Let's see how that 3.4L TT holds up but they have their issues
Honda = Has had issues
Kia/Hyundai = Do I need to say more?
Subaru = Issues
Volvo = Issues
Etc
Etc
Etc

You get my point. No one is making awesome vehicles across their entire range of models these days. Some can't make ANY good vehicles because they all share fundamentally flawed engines or transmissions. The goal seems to simply make vehicles that are "good enough" to get through warranty and many companies can't even figure that out. We as consumers assume these companies are attempting to make the best vehicle they can, which is true to a point, but you have to factor in cost controls and accountants. Once they get involved it's all downhill across all brands. Auto companies are trying to give you their best within a strict/restrictive budget and that seems to mean vehicles that aren't very good. I think technology has been terrible for vehicles because it's complicated and breaks frequently and it eats into the budget for more mission-critical items like drivetrains.
Hasn't this always been the case? I mean, going back decades. A maker has the ability to get it right the first time, when they introduce the new design. Or not, and then fix it later. And they also have shown the ability to take a good design and break it after a while, cheapening it or introducing an "upgrade". As C suite people come and go, companies go up and down.

I wonder when the term "race to the bottom" was coined. Probably got minted alongside the first coin ever struck.

GM didn't do this because they think it's a great idea in and of itself. Neither did FCA with MDS.

If that's what it takes to continue to give us gas powered trucks then that's what it takes. Far better to run that than some electric train wreck.

That 4 cylinder makes 8 cylinder power at lower RPMs than the 8. No reason it can't drop down to 2 when you're just sunday strolling around.

Dunno about the GM but in the Ram's you can still disable MDS by either activating TH, or by using the gear limiter and "limiting" it to 8 gears (little trick; you still get all 8 gears but when the limiter is active MDS will never come on).
My emphasis added.

this is probably my favorite aspect of 2.7L ecoboost ownership, as a “drivers truck”. It’s very similar to driving a diesel, which I prefer. It simply doesn’t have to rev to make usable power. It doesn’t have to shift much. Like a diesel, you just wait on the turbo, and roll into the throttle in timing with spool-up to make power while holding the gear. It is one of my favorite aspects of the ecoboost, and previous Volvo ownership. this especially helped with towing.

They are not the fools - the fools voted in the CAFE peddlers …
No engineer does these things in a vacuum …
Can it alternate the cylinders that get shut down? such a design would help distribute wear evenly. As a guy who makes “design choices” in my realm, I’d be all over that. And if so, 2 cylinder mode probably wouldn’t bother me too much, unless it started to voice the signature of a riding mower. if it did that, in a sedan I might still be ok with the idea psychologically. But like many here, the thought of my truck running on 2 cylinders might not be something I could handle.

Back