GM's 2.7L - Deep Dive

Lead engineer discussing the 2.7L engine. Looks like a really good engine. It's been in the full size for 5 years now. Lot diesel type technology. They put an iron ring carrier on the pistons for higher pressures and a relief valve on the chain tensioner. He goes into some detail in this video.

Last edited:
I kind of like the idea of a big 4 cylinder in a pickup. Many people use them as cars at this point so something smaller and more efficient is plenty for most folks. It's just a shame it didn't really produce better fuel economy than the 5.3.

The Colorado/Canyon seems like a great candidate for it though.

A lot of improved materials and design. I think the electric water pump is great for the reasons he discusses - maintaining good coolant flow on a hot turbo when the engine is idled after a hard pull.

A really impressive engine.

I find his videos increasingly hard to watch... I wish he would just let the engineer talk.

IMO Ford diid a good job with this sort of video when the EB3.5 F150 came out.

Agree this looks like a nice engine, i'll have the remember to talk to my friends about it and get a boot on the ground sort of opinion....

I find his videos increasingly hard to watch... I wish he would just let the engineer talk.

IMO Ford diid a good job with this sort of video when the EB3.5 F150 came out.

Agree this looks like a nice engine, i'll have the remember to talk to my friends about it and get a boot on the ground sort of opinion....
2 engineers - 2 minutes

Jeez. 430 lb/ft out of 2.7L. IIRC TFL Truck tested the older/lower power version of that engine a few years ago and it was comparable to Ford's 3.5EB though I do think it got pretty terrible MPG while towing which is to be expected.

It's impressive but I'd rather have a basic port-injected V8 in a gas truck.

The engineers always talk-up a new engine well but this exposition sounded good.

I'd love to know more about the sliding components of the camshafts. It's cool both varying lift and cylinder deactivation are accomplished.

Does the "hammering effect", provided by the "dual valute" exhaust routing, occur at both sides of the driven wheel (say, 180 degrees apart)?

Any video needs to lose the "6 o'clock news chatter" angle. "Oh, this is where we put our gloves on", sounds so dopey.

Let's just hope this isn't another Vega engine.
CUSTOMER: My engine doesn't work!
GM: Oh yeah, we had block warpage probs we didn't anticipate. Sorry....bye. Just buy another GM product".

Last edited:
The engineers always talk-up a new engine well but this exposition sounded good.

I'd love to know more about the sliding components of the camshafts. It's cool both varying lift and cylinder deactivation are accomplished.

Does the "hammering effect", provided by the "dual valute" exhaust routing, occur at both sides of the driven wheel (say, 180 degrees apart)?

Any video needs to lose the "6 o'clock news chatter" angle. "Oh, this is where we put our gloves on", sounds so dopey.

Let's just hope this isn't another Vega engine.
CUSTOMER: My engine doesn't work!
GM: Oh yeah, we had block warpage probs we didn't anticipate. Sorry....bye. Just buy another GM product".
Vega ? That really makes no sense …

Interesting, thank you for posting. My bride and I are extremely interested in trading our 2021 ZR2 for the new 2023 ZR2...now if only we could find a dealership that had one we could see in person.
A bigun hit town yesterday - I like the midsize better ~

7C92B614-006F-467F-92FF-9ECD769DABF0.jpeg

The 3rd Gen has everything going for it including the interior which is now by far the best in class. They really did a nice job across the board with the 3rd Gen Colorados. Of course, time will tell how it holds up in the real world. The transmission is new. Engine has been in the Silverado for quite some time and appears to be very reliable.

Nope...a quick google search shows average turbo turbine speed is between 80,000 and 200,000 RPM...

That means if you are running at mid engine speed...say 3000 rpm, and the exhaust pulse averages half a rotation...then each exhaust pulse lasts about .0001666 seconds. In that time, at low turbine speed, it will have spun 13 times; and about 33 times at high turbine speed.

The turbine speed us MUCH higher than engine speed, and not synched with the engine, so impossible to say there is any order to what you suggest.

I wouldn't mind trying out a basic Silverado 4x4 with one of these 2.7T's if/when I tire of my Frontier..

I have a co-worker with a leased 2.7T Silverado. He's not a car guy but says it's got more than enough power, but still V8-ish fuel economy.

The "Life of the Engine" would be better translated to us regular folk on how that looks in miles. How many miles & hours did they put on testing this engine. Looks like GM is doing what Ford did when they launched the ecoboost V6 with a 4 cylinder instead.

Three interesting observations; it appears the engine still has a "good old fashion" dipstick for checking oil levels.....way to go GM.

Also, I am glad to see GM return to a conventional "spin on" oil filter vs. a cartridge style. Lastly, water cooling the turbo should add a lot to longevity. Chrysler found this out in the 80's and 90's when they went to that design.

Jeez. 430 lb/ft out of 2.7L. IIRC TFL Truck tested the older/lower power version of that engine a few years ago and it was comparable to Ford's 3.5EB though I do think it got pretty terrible MPG while towing which is to be expected.

It's impressive but I'd rather have a basic port-injected V8 in a gas truck.

I doubt they said it compared equally to a 3.5 EB. Possibly they said it matches well to Fords 2.7 v6 EB?

Back