GMB Water Pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.
1996 Toyota Corolla, 1.8 Engine, 240K Miles
My son just recently did a timing belt and water pump R&R on his Corolla. I ordered the parts for him from RockAuto and PEP BOYS. The timing belt kit was bought from PEP BOYS, which is a DAYCO timing belt kit, with the belt, tensioner, spring, seals, GMC brand water pump, and water pump gaskets.
I had never heard of GMB water pumps before ordering this kit. Does anyone out there have any knowledge, information, data, opinions, etc., about GMB brand water pumps?

GMB has been around for a long time. Korean company. They make water pumps, wheel bearings, timing belt kits/tensioners/idlers.

I've always used GMB bearings and waterpumps and never had a problem. They are OE for many car companies.

The GMB pump seals used to be known to be sensitive to silicates but that shouldn't be a problem today since all modern coolants are silicate free/low silicate.

aisin/koyo would be the next step up in quality

Last edited:
Super duper [censored]. I had one on my Chrysler 300 that failed after 18,000 miles by leaking at the shaft. The warranty replacement one started leaking with 21,000 miles on it. So much for trying to be proactive while replacing my timing belt. I bet the OEM pump would still be going strong. It's a major job on my car to replace when there's a problem so to say that I am extremely dissatisfied with GMB pumps is the understatement of the century.

And, before anyone asks, I used the correct coolant for my vehicle: Zerex G05.

Here's some pictures of the first one failing at 18,000 miles:
Thns7ZM.jpg

o0HRnvi.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: anonobomber
Super duper [censored]. I had one on my Chrysler 300 that failed after 18,000 miles by leaking at the shaft. The warranty replacement one started leaking with 21,000 miles on it. So much for trying to be proactive while replacing my timing belt. I bet the OEM pump would still be going strong. It's a major job on my car to replace when there's a problem so to say that I am extremely dissatisfied with GMB pumps is the understatement of the century.

G05 has silicate in it. Unfortunately it's the one coolant that will eat GMB seals as I mentioned above.

I know b/c I'm a Ford guy and we also use G05.

Originally Posted By: KingCake

G05 has silicate in it. Unfortunately it's the one coolant that will eat GMB seals as I mentioned above.

If that's the case then why did they make a water pump specifically for the Chrysler 3.5L engine when they know what type of coolant it requires?

Last edited:

If that's the case then why did they make a water pump specifically for the Chrysler 3.5L engine when they know what type of coolant it requires?

I know. It's their one weak spot. If you know you don't have silicate coolant then GMB pumps are great.

Aisin would be a better choice for G05 as mentioned above.

I think G05 is the only coolant with silicate left? Ford has quit using it.

I went with GMB and changed them every other TB, 120K miles. Old one felt just like the one I was putting in. These pumps were made in Japan, new ones are Chinese I've heard.

That's cause ford knows better. A competitor of ours tried using some Dexcool clone in a 15' Journey and it lunched head gaskets. We use the Mopar coolant for all our 15-16 stuff. I hate re working some idiots repairs
frown.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Complete garbage. A well-known early-failuremonger.

Whether wet or dry, the bearings are trash. Tensioner pullies squeak from moment one, water pumps die in very short order.

Very common for them not to include all appropriate fittings.

GMB parts serve only one purpose: Going a little lighter on the wallet.

Quality, on the other hand, takes a much steeper dive.

Those seals must be allergic to Dexcool, Rotella ELC, and Fleet Charge, because I have had them fail on those coolants too.

In one case, one of these shat pumps cost me over $1000, because when the pump bearing failed (in 1600 miles), it allowed the fan blade to sever the clutch com cable, eat the fan shroud, transmission lines, and radiator, while shattering the fan disc itself.

I only buy Bosch or OEM now, and have never had to go back in for a water pump.

I would have used the AISIN TKT017 kit for $87 from Rock, they are nice parts.
The GMB isn't very good but if the job is done its kind of pointless pointing that out now the horse is out of the barn.

For future reference the AISIN kit includes..
AISIN Water Pump
AISIN Hydraulic Tensioner
Koyo Idler Bearing
Koyo Tensioner Bearing
Mitsuboshi Timing Belt
Water Pump Gaskets & O-Rings

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Complete garbage. A well-known early-failuremonger.

Whether wet or dry, the bearings are trash. Tensioner pullies squeak from moment one, water pumps die in very short order.

Very common for them not to include all appropriate fittings.

GMB parts serve only one purpose: Going a little lighter on the wallet.

Quality, on the other hand, takes a much steeper dive.

Those seals must be allergic to Dexcool, Rotella ELC, and Fleet Charge, because I have had them fail on those coolants too.

In one case, one of these shat pumps cost me over $1000, because when the pump bearing failed (in 1600 miles), it allowed the fan blade to sever the clutch com cable, eat the fan shroud, transmission lines, and radiator, while shattering the fan disc itself.

I only buy Bosch or OEM now, and have never had to go back in for a water pump.

Bosch doesn't make water pumps. They are china reboxes. Sounds like you had a bad fan clutch to begin with which trashed old and new water pump.

Originally Posted By: andyd
I went with GMB and changed them every other TB, 120K miles. Old one felt just like the one I was putting in. These pumps were made in Japan, new ones are Chinese I've heard.

I've seen japan, korea, and china. Not sure if it's application specific or luck of the draw.

FYI most autozone duralast water pumps (new, not reman) are GMB rebox.

Bosch doesn't make water pumps. They are china reboxes. Sounds like you had a bad fan clutch to begin with which trashed old and new water pump.

1. I never said that Bosch makes water pumps. I said I buy Bosch water pumps.

2. If we're going to be a stickler-dickler, then it's worth mentioning that Bosch actually does manufacture electric water pump in-house.

3. Fan clutch cannot be blamed. Same fan clutch was used with a replacement com cable and is in-service to this day after putting another 46k miles on the road.

4. I really could care less about the country of origin. The Bosch pumps I have used have been dead-ringers for OEM, with no corners cut, and have performed without fail.

I bet the OEM pump would still be going strong.

That is my exact thoughts, which is also why I've let the factory WP go for 100K+ miles. Done this on 90% of vehicles I've worked on, aside from one leak I spotted at the weep hole and a pulley wobble/squeal. Shows standard coolant intervals with OE fluids actually works well.

I used one a long time ago and it was decent. It was on a 1993 Cavalier 2.2 OHV pushrod engine. It was all the parts store had and I had a leaky water pump and was reluctant to use it. It lasted until I sold the car 5 years, 50K+ miles later. I do regular fluid changes and used silicate antifreeze at the time, so maybe that had something to do with the pump lasting as long as it did.

Thanx for all of the replies.
Had I did a bit more research and found out that AISIN is the factory OEM installed pump I would have suggested he buy that kit. Ah well, live and learn.
But, I have to admit, I was very impressed that ALL of the timing belt and its parts, along with the water pump & t-stat, were STILL factory OEM parts! And, with 239,651 actual miles! That's impressive!
thumbsup2.gif

Timing belts apparently have been regularly improved since the 70s, even though the change interval hasn't increased much according to the makers. The only trouble have had with one was when a leaky cam seal oiled thebelt and caused it to slip, not break.

Like most auto parts, quality can vary from on each application.

I returned a Chinese GMB water pump I bought and got an Auto 7 one instead. The new Auto 7 pump was a reboxed Korean Hyundai pump complete with GMB stamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back