GM to Stop Making Gas-powered Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all the legacy union contracts, pension obligations, health plan obligations, brown field clean up.

Never going to happen.

About as likely as arctic being ice free in our lifetime.

So GM is sinking like the Titanic.

With all the legacy union contracts, pension obligations, health plan obligations, brown field clean up.

Never going to happen.

About as likely as arctic being ice free in our lifetime.

I don’t see that either. Both GM and Ford have tons of legacy debt.

Glad to see it. Vision and use drives innovation. Electric vehicles and battery tech will keep getting better

Tesla will probably buy GM.
Tesla has manufacturing and distribution problems that a Ford or GM could solve.
But as others have posted, legacy issues would negate the potential benefit.

You probably know Tesla has 2 plants under construction now, Berlin and Austin.

Tesla has manufacturing and distribution problems that a Ford or GM could solve.
But as others have posted, legacy issues would negate the potential benefit.

You probably know Tesla has 2 plants under construction now, Berlin and Austin.

Yes, that's what I was hinting at.. major dealer and distribution, service network.

I do realize it could be "cost-prohibitive."

Do you feel Tesla is a great investment opportunity? Or a flash in the pan boutique plaything for the rich,...

Yes, that's what I was hinting at.. major dealer and distribution, service network.

I do realize it could be "cost-prohibitive."

Do you feel Tesla is a great investment opportunity? Or a flash in the pan boutique plaything for the rich,...
JT20, it is not for me to say if TSLA is a good opportunity. Of course it has been, but past history cannot be depended on to predict the future.
I own a small amount and it has been very good, at least on paper.
I am a conservative investor, long term strategy. I view buying individual stock purchases as money I am willing to lose.

If you want to invest, I highly recommend a nice index fund. S&P indexed funds have to own some TSLA.
1 share purchased on its own is well over $800 right now.

My advice is go talk to Schwab and open an account to get started.
It's your money and your future my friend. Good luck.

Being 15 months behind Tesla and 9 months behind Genesis / KIA / Hyundai is acceptable right now. If GM were two years behind this became chronic, impact of E-GMP is massive. The Hummer first strategy may not have been ideal, but at least it seems to press Tesla into a Cybertruck design right now :cool: as Tesla's pipelines are deserted.
GM is helping to make America acceptable again – for the moment automobilism is still a force, so they are creating to at least have veterans in 2035. https://cadillacsociety.com/2021/01/28/cadillac-dealers-begin-setting-up-for-ev-sales-and-service/ Shareholders will see.

Last edited:
The new Tesla Plaid + Model has a 520 mile range. It will do 0-60 in 2 seconds, making it the fastest street legal production car ever offered. It is also very expensive at $140K.
But I expect that a 500 mile range will be commonplace on all Tesla models within the next few years, including the models that retail for under $40K.

For any automaker to be competitive, they will need to match that kind of range performance. As others have mentioned, GM has huge financial issues, much of which stem from unfunded pension liabilities i.e. legacy debt. Maybe GM will somehow still be in business by 2035 and will have conjured up the hundreds of billions of dollars needed to be ready to offer 100% EV's in their 2035 lineup after continuing to build ICE vehicles and supporting their dealer network for the period between 2021 and 2034. But I am highly skeptical of that happening.

I do not foresee ICE vehicles being obsolete overnight in 2035, ending up in junkyards and there being no support with regards to parts or qualified mechanics who can work on them. That is going to take a long, long time to happen.

All the people that lost their pipeline jobs can start build charging stations in 2034. All jokes aside, if we are going all electric we are going to need to start building power plants and beef up infrastructure, because solar and wind aren't going to cut it for all of that energy needed. Battery life will be about 50 miles in the winter in cold climates running the heat.
If you are plugged in you can condition the interior temperature of the car using "shore" power and effect on range will be less. Smart folks like btog readers will leave the air the car cold and use seat and steering wheel heater for comfort.

If they want to do that, have at it. I have the same questions others do. Our current electrical grid has regional issues handling the summer loads. Will there be adequate reinvestment into it to handle the additional powering of millions of passenger vehicles? I have probably missed that discussion, as it has to have occurred and the usual question of anything these days "how is that going to be paid for?"
Some time ago I read a study done in Ca. about changing the gas stations on a major intersection, say one on each corner, to electric charging stations using their current traffic. Basically there wasn't enough electricity to do it and the construction costs to bring in enough power infrastructure were enormous. Basically there is not enough electricity in the US to convert Ca. to all electric. It's a pipe dream.

Some time ago I read a study done in Ca. about changing the gas stations on a major intersection, say one on each corner, to electric charging stations using their current traffic. Basically there wasn't enough electricity to do it and the construction costs to bring in enough power infrastructure were enormous. Basically there is not enough electricity in the US to convert Ca. to all electric. It's a pipe dream.
Well I think the other problem is that it takes a lot longer to charge up than to gas up and many gas stations are already pretty busy and are pretty small such that you can easily get lines just for gas.

I think the statement that they are going to stop making gasoline powered vehicles is partially motivated by the current climate. What will likely happen is a slower transition with gasoline powered vehicles being phased out as electrics become more common place.

The key might be pickups. When GM and Ford and Stellantis start selling electric pickups then watch those sales. If demand is great then that could spur the transition even faster.

I think there is a demand for electric pickups. The suburban/urban owner who uses the truck primarily as a commuter vehicle and on weekends uses it for light duty and hauling would be the target consumer. There will always be a demand for gasoline trucks for those who really use them in working situations like construction, ranching, farming, etc.

You will not see or need a charging station on ever corner right away. I will take years and the infrastructure changes will be incremental.
They did not put a gas station on every corner the day the first Model T rolled off the line. Time of day to charge and off peak hydro rates will dictate how you charge your car. As it stands now a lot of base load power plants have to idle at night and just produce enough steam to keep the wheels rolling. This is inefficient.... but charging at night will use this excess capacity.

Sharing excess power in North America is kind of joke. Some Utilities ( I am pointing my finger mockingly at southern US states ) have a huge amount of idle capacity sitting unused for peak demands that could be retired of shared across provincial, State and international boarders. There is plenty of power available for the slow ramp up of electric transportation but we do not use it properly. Utilities ( especially the private ones ) are not interested in working together if they can limit competition for energy and get paid for excess capacity that sits there on standby.

As it is now Ontario for example has to pay US states to take excess power of our hands because the nukes just can't be idled up and down as loads shift durring the day. Amagine getting paid to take someone else's electricity, just crazy...

Comparing gas station fueling to EV charging is apples to oranges. The vast majority of EV owners charge at home.
But I agree, our infrastructure and ability to charge in general will require huge modification.
Apartment and condo dwellers are prime examples. There is a lotta chatter around here from them going on right now.
I expect it to only increase.

Guys, you know my take on these iPad things rolling on 4 wheels.
But let's be real. They are coming and they are big piece of solution to pollution.
So, when we decided that we will go to the Moon, I bet there was bunch of people saying: yeah, pipe dream. But, we don't know how to do it. etc, etc.
Unless we start doing it, we will never figure out how to do it.

How much snow in your yard chum?

GM wouldn't have these pension and health benefits problems if workers would just die young like the old days, the problem is of course the CBA negotiated over decades with the hourly workforce. It reduced injuries and made them live longer, and with fewer workplace injuries and chronic medical condition like fast efficient Toyota workers and others at non union workers in North American car and parts plants...

If the right regulation were in place to curb the rights of employees, why we could all be happy efficient workers like in China. Fear not I think we are at one of those water shed moments when after the pandemic and the economic fall out these goals are achievable.
Lots of snow in the yard, thanks for asking.
And it's dang cold today too.

As for the lesson on unions, irrelevant to the question if Tesla would buy GM.

Mankind will adapt, as much as technology will continue to advance, and someday they meet in the middle. I really don't see corner charging stations being any kind of solution, when charging at home and at your other destinations makes so much more sense. There will need to be intermediary solutions scattered about (nowhere near the current concentration of current gas stations) for when people let their batteries get too low, but they better have their life structured in such a way that their schedules can flex around time wasted at a charging station long enough to take on some volts. But that's part of the adaptation. You learn to take care of your charging needs at home, and at work, and plan ahead for longer trips.

Personally, at 51, I'm hoping not to see drastic change before I'm worm dirt. I don't want an electric car. I don't want to sit aside the road in the middle of a 400 mile drive, waiting for my car to charge, and I don't want to be sweating bullets trying to make a long drive without stopping to charge. But it's hard for us to envision now how it will really be, versus what our anxiety tells us to expect.

As it is now Ontario for example has to pay US states to take excess power of our hands because the nukes just can't be idled up and down as loads shift durring the day. Amagine getting paid to take someone else's electricity, just crazy...

It's not the nuke gen that's exported, it's almost entirely wind. We export something like 90% of windgen because it produces out of phase with demand.

And yes, the market price sometimes goes negative but the average per kWh we receive on exports is $0.014/kWh for the last year, which is horrific given the contract cost for that same wind which is $0.148/kWh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back