GM to partner with China

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
Of course, I and most people who consider these issues rationally, measure commitment through jobs and money invested in a particular market. You may have some other touchy, feely measure of committment that I'm not aware of. But I'm sure you'll make those beliefs clear to us all...lol

You are making assumptions based on your beliefs (or poor reading comprehension skills). Face the fact that you got all worked up over what you beleive was stated based on that GM chip on your shoulder. Time to put on you big boy underpants (I assume you are a male) and suck it up.

Originally Posted By: Cardinal49
Of course, I and most people who consider these issues rationally, measure commitment through jobs and money invested in a particular market. You may have some other touchy, feely measure of committment that I'm not aware of. But I'm sure you'll make those beliefs clear to us all...lol

You are making assumptions based on your beliefs (or poor reading comprehension skills). Face the fact that you got all worked up over what you beleive was stated based on that GM chip on your shoulder. Time to put on you big boy underpants (I assume you are a male) and suck it up.

You can continue to try and berate me...no problem...I consider the source.

Or you could simply answer the question and define what you meant when you said the transplants had equal "commitment" to the US market. Obfuscate all you like, but I think any intelligent reader understands what you meant despite your disengenuous attempts to sidetrack.

You can continue to try and berate me...no problem...I consider the source.

Or you could simply answer the question and define what you meant when you said the transplants had equal "commitment" to the US market. Obfuscate all you like, but I think any intelligent reader understands what you meant despite your disengenuous attempts to sidetrack.

Just having a little fun. We have no relationship and you have no idea who I am. A bit of a leap to make such a bold assumption on my character "consider the source"

I do not know you and would not be arrogant enough to gauge your worthiness, experince or mental stability from a few lines in a message board. I also do not owe you any explanation on my comments. They stand for themselves and I stand behind them. You jumped to a false conclusion and lashed out. Big dog bit back.

I disagree. Honda, Toyota, Nissan, BMW, Subaru, Hyundai, etc have also invested billions in the US. All of these companies, as well as GM and Ford need to do so to compete effectively in the US market.

I do not beleive that GM or Ford's commitment to the US is any greater than the companies I listed above.

You see what you want to see. Never mentioned investment or Canada. Your perception does not make it a reality.

Again...for those curious among us.

Please define what you meant by "commitment to the US" other than money invested here and jobs provided here?

I disagree. Honda, Toyota, Nissan, BMW, Subaru, Hyundai, etc have also invested billions in the US. All of these companies, as well as GM and Ford need to do so to compete effectively in the US market.

I do not beleive that GM or Ford's commitment to the US is any greater than the companies I listed above.

You see what you want to see. Never mentioned investment or Canada. Your perception does not make it a reality.

Please define what you meant by "commitment to the US" other than money invested here and jobs provided here?

Indeed, I'm curious as well.

GM employs 142,000 Americans, Toyota employs 30,000 Americans.

Oops, someone got caught with their pants down
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Indeed, I'm curious as well.

GM employs 142,000 Americans, Toyota employs 30,000 Americans.

And GM would like employ way over that 172,000 sum because of it's higher US presence plus the ripple effect if Toyota wasn't taking US market share. But some want to count a net loss as a net gain.

And I heard it mention the bad experience with domestics reasoning. I know way more people who had good experience with domestics and still bought foreign than anything else. And just try to pin down the ones that had a bad experience. Over half the time it was some experience 20 years ago of a 2nd or 3rd hand used car abused and ill maintained and really wasn't that bad considering. That's not to say the doemstics never had some issue in the recent past, but so did other automakers.

Last edited:
I had a few minutes when I got home so I did a little research. Found a couple of intersting things. There is a cargroup.org study that provides the following info:

Honda has generated 367,000 jobs with $17Billion in wages to US workers. 152,000 are direct employees with $8B in wages and 215,000 are indirect (dealers, etc) with $9B in wages. Pretty impressive numbers that greatly impact the US economy and tax base.

I also learned that GM did not pay any Federal Income tax in 2010. In fact, about $14B in federal taxes will not be collected from GM over the next few years. It was also intersting to discover that GM paid back the government loan using government TARP money. Unless things have changed, it appears that they still owe the US taxpayers about $40B. I guess this is where the $6B is coming from for all their plant updates and re-tooling.

The only positive note is that GM is still employing workers and indirectly dealers and vendors that are supporting their families, contributing to the economy and paying taxes.

I don't have the time or desire to research the others but the financial contributions and COMITTMENT Honda has made to the US is significant and depending on how you feel about government bailouts and the tax implications, it may be more significant than GM's.

I did just look on the Toyota website. They are obviously not an independant 3rd party but they state that in the US they have created over 365,000 jobs, invested $18B, have 1506 dealers and have over $24B in purchasing. Again, very impressive numbers.

I did just look on the Toyota website. They are obviously not an independant 3rd party but they state that in the US they have created over 365,000 jobs, invested $18B, have 1506 dealers and have over $24B in purchasing. Again, very impressive numbers.

BUT AMERICAN CAR COMPANIES SPEND MORE MONEY IN AMERICA! (buy American or we will send you to China)
lol.gif

about 80% of the other Americans, they are irrelevant.

Sales figures don't show that. Interesting number, would like to see where you got that.

It's not very impressive because the foreign transplants investment and jobs number are much lower than the domestics even though they sell as many cars in the US as the domestics. And you are still ignoring the fact that this is US market share that previously was supplied by the domestics anyway. No net gain, no equivalency even if the foreign automakers took all of the US market. Just lower wages and benefits, less jobs and more contract temporary jobs and more foreign ownership. You keep arguing equivalency when it's not there. I guess equivalency must mean losing your job or taking a job at half pay with no benefits. And if Toyota's website can be a source then so can the UAW's president who answered the question of what the difference is:

Quote:
Here are some facts you may want to consider about the domestic auto industry:

•The U.S.-based automakers directly employ nearly 300,000 employees – about two-thirds of all American auto workers.
•Nearly three million U.S. workers are directly or indirectly dependent on the U.S.-based automakers in jobs in the automotive parts industry, automotive research, design and engineering, and in jobs created by money spent on goods and services from the automotive industry and its workers.
•Ford, GM and Chrysler sell less than half the cars bought in the United States, but they buy about two-thirds of the parts made in the United States.
•U.S.-based automakers buy much of the steel, rubber and semiconductors made in the United States; conduct more R&D than any other industry and have invested more than $230 billion in new plants and infrastructure over the past 25 years.
•Investment in R&D has a big impact on whether tomorrow’s best jobs remain in the United States. In 2009, U.S.-based automakers spent $17.5 billion on R&D and 80 cents of every dollar was spent in the United States. U.S.-based automakers do the bulk of their research, design and engineering in the United States, unlike the foreign automakers.
•From 2001 to 2005, the U.S.-based automakers invested more in U.S. plants and infrastructure than all the foreign automakers together invested over the past 25 years. Eighty-six cents of every dollar automakers invested in America came from Ford, GM or Chrysler; the remaining 14 cents came from all the foreign automakers combined.
•Unionization of the U.S.-based automakers by the UAW was a major factor in the creation of the post-war middle class in the United States. Unionization gave workers the right to bargain for fair wages and benefits, giving them the means to buy a house, send their children to college and have a secure retirement. Workers need a voice on the job and a place at the table with employers. Union representation provides that and gives workers a ladder to economic stability. The foreign-owned automakers in the United States are mostly nonunion and resist attempts by workers to organize.
•And quite honestly, all workers’ (union and non-union, manufacturing and service, professional and non-professional) wages and benefits rose when union manufacturing workers raised their wages and benefits through collective bargaining. Health care benefits, pensions, vacations, holidays, and many other benefits and improvements in working conditions were first won in union contracts that later became standard benefits for all workers. And you may have noticed as union workers have been losing some or a portion of these benefits, so have all workers. It is no coincidence.
•According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the Camry has 75 percent domestic content. In contrast, Ford produces seven vehicles with 90 percent domestic content. The highest domestic content for any of Toyota’s vehicles is the Sienna, with 85 percent.
•Chrysler, Ford and GM manufacture vehicles with more domestic content across their fleets than the foreign brands. As an example, averaged across fleets, Chrysler’s domestic content is 76 percent; Ford, 64 percent; GM, 64 percent; Honda, 63 percent; Toyota 46 percent and Nissan, 31 percent. If the U.S.-based automakers’ domestic content shrank to the same level as the foreign automakers, it would mean $49 billion less spent in the United States, costing more than 1 million U.S. jobs.
•For the past several years, vehicles made by U.S.-based automakers have consistently been ranked high, if not the highest, in several quality categories in the esteemed, annual J.D. Power vehicle quality studies. In fact, in the 2010 J.D. Power Quality study results, U.S.-based automakers' cars ranked in the top three of 12 categories and ranked first over foreign-company brands in six of the 12 categories.
•In the July, 2010 JD Power Automotive Performance, Execution and Layout Study (APEAL) that measures customer satisfaction, domestic brands ranked higher than foreign brands. Domestic manufacturers won eight of the top 20 ranked vehicles, with Ford winning the highest award in five segments – more than any other manufacturer. Domestic brands had an average score of 787 points on a 1,000-point scale, 13 points higher than the overall score of foreign brands.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

Sales figures don't show that. Interesting number, would like to see where you got that.

I took a little liberty that but based it on GM's market share. I don't have the page open but it was 19.1% including trucks. Don't rememer if it was 2009 or 2010. Leaves about 80% of Americans that bought something other than a GM. Ford was about 16%, Toyota was about 15% and Honda about 10%. Should be easy to find doing a web search.

I took a little liberty that but based it on GM's market share. I don't have the page open but it was 19.1% including trucks. Don't rememer if it was 2009 or 2010. Leaves about 80% of Americans that bought something other than a GM. Ford was about 16%, Toyota was about 15% and Honda about 10%. Should be easy to find doing a web search.

So does that mean the rest of the ones you posted are even less relevant to the percentage of Americans who didn't buy them. That would make them all less relevant than GM as their market share is less.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx

It's not very impressive because the foreign transplants investment and jobs number are much lower than the domestics even though they sell as many cars in the US as the domestics. And you are still ignoring the fact that this is US market share that previously was supplied by the domestics anyway. No net gain, no equivalency even if the foreign automakers took all of the US market. Just lower wages and benefits, less jobs and more contract temporary jobs and more foreign ownership. You keep arguing equivalency when it's not there. I guess equivalency must mean losing your job or taking a job at half pay with no benefits. And if Toyota's website can be a source then so can the UAW's president who answered the question of what the difference is:

Quote:

•The U.S.-based automakers directly employ nearly 300,000 employees – about two-thirds of all American auto workers.
•Nearly three million U.S. workers are directly or indirectly dependent on the U.S.-based automakers in jobs in the automotive parts industry, automotive research, design and engineering, and in jobs created by money spent on goods and services from the automotive industry and its workers.
•Ford, GM and Chrysler sell less than half the cars bought in the United States, but they buy about two-thirds of the parts made in the United States.
•U.S.-based automakers buy much of the steel, rubber and semiconductors made in the United States; conduct more R&D than any other industry and have invested more than $230 billion in new plants and infrastructure over the past 25 years.
•Investment in R&D has a big impact on whether tomorrow’s best jobs remain in the United States. In 2009, U.S.-based automakers spent $17.5 billion on R&D and 80 cents of every dollar was spent in the United States. U.S.-based automakers do the bulk of their research, design and engineering in the United States, unlike the foreign automakers.
•From 2001 to 2005, the U.S.-based automakers invested more in U.S. plants and infrastructure than all the foreign automakers together invested over the past 25 years. Eighty-six cents of every dollar automakers invested in America came from Ford, GM or Chrysler; the remaining 14 cents came from all the foreign automakers combined.
•Unionization of the U.S.-based automakers by the UAW was a major factor in the creation of the post-war middle class in the United States. Unionization gave workers the right to bargain for fair wages and benefits, giving them the means to buy a house, send their children to college and have a secure retirement. Workers need a voice on the job and a place at the table with employers. Union representation provides that and gives workers a ladder to economic stability. The foreign-owned automakers in the United States are mostly nonunion and resist attempts by workers to organize.
•And quite honestly, all workers’ (union and non-union, manufacturing and service, professional and non-professional) wages and benefits rose when union manufacturing workers raised their wages and benefits through collective bargaining. Health care benefits, pensions, vacations, holidays, and many other benefits and improvements in working conditions were first won in union contracts that later became standard benefits for all workers. And you may have noticed as union workers have been losing some or a portion of these benefits, so have all workers. It is no coincidence.
•According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the Camry has 75 percent domestic content. In contrast, Ford produces seven vehicles with 90 percent domestic content. The highest domestic content for any of Toyota’s vehicles is the Sienna, with 85 percent.
•Chrysler, Ford and GM manufacture vehicles with more domestic content across their fleets than the foreign brands. As an example, averaged across fleets, Chrysler’s domestic content is 76 percent; Ford, 64 percent; GM, 64 percent; Honda, 63 percent; Toyota 46 percent and Nissan, 31 percent. If the U.S.-based automakers’ domestic content shrank to the same level as the foreign automakers, it would mean $49 billion less spent in the United States, costing more than 1 million U.S. jobs.
•For the past several years, vehicles made by U.S.-based automakers have consistently been ranked high, if not the highest, in several quality categories in the esteemed, annual J.D. Power vehicle quality studies. In fact, in the 2010 J.D. Power Quality study results, U.S.-based automakers' cars ranked in the top three of 12 categories and ranked first over foreign-company brands in six of the 12 categories.
•In the July, 2010 JD Power Automotive Performance, Execution and Layout Study (APEAL) that measures customer satisfaction, domestic brands ranked higher than foreign brands. Domestic manufacturers won eight of the top 20 ranked vehicles, with Ford winning the highest award in five segments – more than any other manufacturer. Domestic brands had an average score of 787 points on a 1,000-point scale, 13 points higher than the overall score of foreign brands.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx

Quote:

All depends on how you interpret it. Maybe Toyota is more efficient and does not need as many workers. I do not agree that Toyota took GMs share. I think it more accurate to state that American consumers made an educated decision to give their business to Toyota.

I did say that I got the info off of Toyota's website. It may be inflated. I do however give the credibility mark to Toyota over the UAW.

So does that mean the rest of the ones you posted are even less relevant to the percentage of Americans who didn't buy them. That would make them all less revelant than GM as their market share is less.

Sure. Based on some of the postings here it looks like some may think the other 80% is irrelevant. I did say I took liberty with the info. It was sarcasm.

Created? Yes. So, Toyota directly employs 30,000 Americans, and indirectly creates 365,000 jobs. Roughly 12x the number of indirect vs direct. So applying that same percentage to GM, that gives us 1,727,666 jobs indirectly created by GM. Which likely isn't far off.

I'm FAR from a GM apologist and think the bailout was a huge scam levied on both the American and Canadian tax payers. However, even I am not blind to the fact that GM employs an obscene number of people. GM and Ford together spend more, and employ more than all the imports combined.

I don't have the time or desire to research the others but.... it may be more significant than GM's.

This about sums up your objectivity here...you dont have the time, energy or apparent ability to decipher fact from fiction, yet you still come to a possible conclusion. Whatever.

It really is rich that you moved the goal posts yet again. This time taking the time to actually do a google search and regurgitate the Toyota "created" jobs and payroll figures...Do you really want to go there? Talking about total payrolls, total pension payments, total infrastructure investments, total purchasing expense numbers...you cant be serious. You are digging a hole going there, those numbers only increase in the domestics favor at an exponential rate. The retiree benefits alone that GM pays yearly amount to close to 6 billion dollars. The number of "created" jobs by Ford and GM in the states they invest in is in the millions...keep digging man.

GM has 300,000 retirees currently. When you lose half of your market (regardless of the reason as that's another debate) to foreign companies that do not have retirees then you are going to run into problems. But 300,000 retirees is equivalent to none
smirk.gif
. Just like $15/hr contract job with no benefits is equivalent to full time $28 with benefits
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back