GM Silverado/Sierra 1500 2.7 GTDI Inline 4?

Time will tell on the fuel economy thing. If you've got ideal cruising conditions, you'd like to think this turbo 4cyl would do very well. Certainly much better than 18mpg average.

You can consistently get 25mpg with the 5.3 on the highway if you keep it around 70mph. I don't know how any motor will do much better unless it's a hybrid setup. My best has been 33mpg over 50 miles. That's just happens to where I have it set at.

And I never understood why people need pickups to to go from 0 to 60 in under 7 seconds which requires powerful gas sucking V8s. You buy a truck to haul stuff, not ass.
I guess these guys got it all wrong...

I admit to being biased. I have one of these beauties and she's my daily beater. 💖

Attachments

• 1990-Chevrolet-454-SS-exterior.jpg
    1990-Chevrolet-454-SS-exterior.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Screen shot 2015-03-23 at 4.13.43 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2015-03-23 at 4.13.43 PM.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 1200px-Dodge_Ram_SRT-10.jpg
    1200px-Dodge_Ram_SRT-10.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 2001-ford-svt-f-150-lighning-instrumented-test-car-and-driver-photo-9750-s-original.jpg
    2001-ford-svt-f-150-lighning-instrumented-test-car-and-driver-photo-9750-s-original.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 18
It's a shame the Gen. 5 LV3 4.3L V6 is being dropped because it's only used in the Sierra/Silverado 1500, so it means the end of the road for that engine. It's a very modern design that debuted in 2014, and was much better then the gen 1 SBC derived 4.3L V6 it replaced.

I don't mind the powerplant more so that according to TFL's review, the 2.7L equipped trucks do not have a low range.
I know in 2018 when you got the tow package the 2 speed + auto-Trac xfer case was added.
Perhaps they will still push towing/HD use to something besides the smaller engine …
Will believe it when the time comes …

I don't mind the powerplant more so that according to TFL's review, the 2.7L equipped trucks do not have a low range.

They cost cut that feature out of their trucks for the most part. Not just the 2.7. Unless you are gong rock crawling it's not needed any way. If it snows hard enough to need "low range" you probably should be staying home.

I guess they likely did. It's too bad, as that little 2.7 puts down some good torque.
There are plenty of uses for low range without rock crawling or driving in a blizzard.
I use low range all the time. Firewood, towing the Jeep or quads to a remote trail head, boat ramp, getting into an awkward off pavement situation where you need more power and control, etc.
I can't imagine buying a truck without it.

Just purchased a 2021 Silverado 2.7 turbo Custom Crew Cab 4wd. Very good torque and drivability, feels like driving a diesel. This engine is impressive not only in its ability to be fun to drive, tow over 9000 lbs, and fuel economy driving in the mountains of central Pennsylvania. Here’s my last 50 mile average.

Attachments

• 680338EC-3808-49A6-8424-733AF54FDAB0.jpeg
    680338EC-3808-49A6-8424-733AF54FDAB0.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
I know this is an old post but I ave a 2022 refresh trailboss with the 2.7ho engine, delivers 430ft lbs of torque on this new engine plus beefier Block, bearings and crank. Anyways I pull a 19’ boat all over with it and it tows great. It has more power than my 5.0 f150 and my older 5.3 tahoes I drive. I have a new 2022 5.3 Tahoe coming in a week or so and will get a better idea of the differences with the new 5.3. I’m friends with a couple Chevy mechanics, they turned me on to the engine after telling me how much more reliable it has been vs the v-8’s which are having really serious issues. I get a solid 19 mpg mixed driving but you can do much better, I once got 27.5 mpg’s on a trip under ideal conditions. Pulling the boat I get 12-14 mpg’s depending on wind direction.

Thank you for the post. I’ve wanted to see this engine survive and i like seeing it’s doing well. I agree, the down low torque of the ford 2.7 is one of its greatest features, indeed behaving similarly to a diesel. I will be cheering the Chevy 2.7 on,

I know this is an old post but I ave a 2022 refresh trailboss with the 2.7ho engine, delivers 430ft lbs of torque on this new engine plus beefier Block, bearings and crank. Anyways I pull a 19’ boat all over with it and it tows great. It has more power than my 5.0 f150 and my older 5.3 tahoes I drive. I have a new 2022 5.3 Tahoe coming in a week or so and will get a better idea of the differences with the new 5.3. I’m friends with a couple Chevy mechanics, they turned me on to the engine after telling me how much more reliable it has been vs the v-8’s which are having really serious issues. I get a solid 19 mpg mixed driving but you can do much better, I once got 27.5 mpg’s on a trip under ideal conditions. Pulling the boat I get 12-14 mpg’s depending on wind direction.
Would like to know how the "newer high output" 2.7 pulls with a 5,000 pound travel trailer behind it. I haven't found such a test ANYWHERE on the Internet.

There is a test with a first generation 2.7 turbo.

My truck is the high output 2.7 and my boat fully loaded with coolers, camping gear and gas is at least 5k# and does great. I have a buddy who pulls a 30’ trailer with his 2.7 (old 2.7 not ho also not a Trailboss) probably 6k #’s + and he says it does great. Pulling my 19’ boat It’s usually in it’s highest gear running 1500 rpm’s. There’s no gear searching and Has plenty of power for passing.

Attachments

• 5716E97B-94A0-4F45-AE05-A6A8DBFB177D.jpeg
    5716E97B-94A0-4F45-AE05-A6A8DBFB177D.jpeg
    239 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Thank you for the post. I’ve wanted to see this engine survive and i like seeing it’s doing well. I agree, the down low torque of the ford 2.7 is one of its greatest features, indeed behaving similarly to a diesel. I will be cheering the Chevy 2.7 on,
I am curious why 2.7 is the displacement size of choice for both Ford and GM.

Gratuitously stolen from TFL. Or google for a different one.

Looks like you have all the torque you could want. Looks like it is tuned to be 348 from 1,500 to 4k. So 348 would be 165hp -- but of course, at WOT it won't be lugging down, not sure how much hp would really be available at 2,500rpm while going down the road, the transmission is going to downshift.

View attachment 48655
That's not the new motor. That's the first generation 2.7. They haven't tested the new one.

Back