GM Silverado/Sierra 1500 2.7 GTDI Inline 4?

That's a lot of power being wrung out of a 4cyl engine, so I'm sure it's not going to last forever nor be cheap to fix.
With superior under hood accessibility and only one head or bank of cylinders to deal with, it will probably be CHEAPER to fix. And I never understood why people need pickups to to go from 0 to 60 in under 7 seconds which requires powerful gas sucking V8s. You buy a truck to haul stuff, not ass.

Guarantee those 4-cyl GM's won't do squat for real world mileage.

The numbers are right there on fuelly.com. I used the F150 as an example. The charts for both the 3.5 EB and 5.0 V8 are almost IDENTICAL. The 2.7 EB moves the chart 2 MPG higher, on average. All that added complexity for a 0-10% gain in efficiency? No thanks.

With superior under hood accessibility and only one head or bank of cylinders to deal with, it will probably be CHEAPER to fix. And I never understood why people need pickups to to go from 0 to 60 in under 7 seconds which requires powerful gas sucking V8s. You buy a truck to haul stuff, not ass.
Yes, but: towing heavy weight up a hill, possibly in a trailer that makes a barn look aerodynamic, requires horsepower. Lots of it. Which in the unloaded case means pretty respectable 0-60's.

Guarantee those 4-cyl GM's won't do squat for real world mileage.

The numbers are right there on fuelly.com. I used the F150 as an example. The charts for both the 3.5 EB and 5.0 V8 are almost IDENTICAL. The 2.7 EB moves the chart 2 MPG higher, on average. All that added complexity for a 0-10% gain in efficiency? No thanks.
250k lifespan, call it 20mpg. That's 12,500 gallons of gas. A 10% improvement is 1,250 gallons saved. At $3/gallon it's $3,750 saved. Potentially.

Just to put numbers to it.

Reactions: CKN
I get the nicety of a single cyl head, but It's buried under direct injection plumbing, a turbo, intercooler, etc, etc.

I'm with you though. A lot of us prefer function over form and don't need a 400hp V8 powered light truck.

I don't understand how people in 2021 are still saying turbo engines are inherently not going to last. With an absolute ton of information to the contrary...

In the hands of a BITOGer I would bet on the engine outliving the useful lifespan of the truck.

Gearing makes up for much of it. That's why the manufacturers are using 10 speed trannys.
Not quite.

Without a doubt, having many gear ratios is a great thing. It allows the engine to be at the optimal rpm, regardless of vehicle speed. A wide range of ratios means the rear end ratio is not as critical as it was (back in ye olden days of 4 speeds).

But ultimately horsepower is a measurement of how fast work is being done.

A few years ago TFL took one of the RAM Ecodiesels up Ike pass, and were initially oohing and ahing over the 420 ft-lb of torque--but were somewhat surprised that it could not maintain speed. Well duh, 240 hp does that--it does not matter if it's 240 hp from a gasser or a diesel, 240 hp is 240 hp.

An 8 speed trans does allow a 305 hp Pentastar to hold its own under many conditions, as the transmission can enable the engine to stay near peak horsepower (when peak is required). But ultimately 300 hp isn't that much when you have a 6k truck plus a 5k trailer going up a steep incline.

I have been looking at a new Silverado 1500 4x4 with the 2.7 GTDI I-4. The torque and MPG are both really appealing.

Does anyone here have one?

summary, it has the power of a small V8 and burns just as much or more gas

sounds like a nice grocery getter engine occasionally used for towing

The EPA rates this version of the Silverado at 20 mpg combined, but we achieved only 16 in daily use, the same fuel economy we measured from an all-wheel-drive 5.3-liter V-8-powered Silverado crew cab. On our 200-mile highway loop, the four-cylinder made liberal use of its turbocharger and yielded 18 mpg, 3 mpg less than that same Silverado.

Please provide a link-because I haven't heard that any where.
Not sure how to paste the link with my phone, but if you go to gmauthority.com , pick Chevrolet, select "news" from the drop down menu on the left side of the screen, then scroll down a dozen articles or so, you will find it.

Last edited:
Not sure how to paste the link with my phone, but if you go to gmauthority.com , select "news" from the drop down menu on the right side of the screen, then scroll down half a dozen articles or so, you will find it.
According to the sources you list-the 2.7 will be standard with the others being an option-
Meanwhile, the turbocharged 2.7L I4 L3B is rated at 310 horsepower and 348 pound-feet of torque. Other options include the naturally aspirated 5.3L V8 L84, which, like the L82, produces 355 horsepower and 383 pound-feet of torque. However, the L84 features Dynamic Fuel Management, as opposed to the L82’s Active Fuel Management.

But yea-the article is a little misleading.

What I get for reading too fast, before coffee. You are correct, only the 4.3 is being dropped, and the 5.3 AFM is being dropped in favor of a DFM. Now I have to learn the practical differences between the two.

Agreed, if you read carefully they're just going to be using an updated version of the 5.3L V8. I couldn't imagine GM dropping the 5.3L, it has to be the highest selling engine in GM full sized trucks and SUVs.

Yep-the basic motor designed was amortized decades ago.

summary, it has the power of a small V8 and burns just as much or more gas

sounds like a nice grocery getter engine occasionally used for towing

The EPA rates this version of the Silverado at 20 mpg combined, but we achieved only 16 in daily use, the same fuel economy we measured from an all-wheel-drive 5.3-liter V-8-powered Silverado crew cab. On our 200-mile highway loop, the four-cylinder made liberal use of its turbocharger and yielded 18 mpg, 3 mpg less than that same Silverado.

Time will tell on the fuel economy thing. If you've got ideal cruising conditions, you'd like to think this turbo 4cyl would do very well. Certainly much better than 18mpg average.

Back