GM recalls 778,000 cars for faulty ignition

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://money.cnn.com/2014/02/13/autos/gm-recall/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

GM (GM, Fortune 500) said Thursday that Chevrolet Cobalt and Pontiac G5 cars made between 2005 to 2007 are being recalled in the U.S., Canada and Mexico to replace the switches.

In addition to turning off the engine unintentionally, the switch defect can also shut off the electrical components in the car that activate the airbags.

There have been 22 crashes where the airbags did not deploy, according to GM, including five crashes that caused six front-seat fatalities.

Last edited:
I have an '08 G5 - presumably out of the recall window
frown.gif

I don't have a bunch of junk hanging off my key ring - never had a problem
smile.gif

Have had intermittent no start issues on our 2008 G5. Security light comes on, car cranks and won't start. Seems to be a common PassKey issue with GM. Replaced the security module last week at GM dealer along with programming a new key. Crossing my fingers that that fix will work.

Last edited:
Does this part relate at all to the Saturn VUE 2006 4cylinder? It is a vehicle that gave GM its past poor reputation.

The MIL has one that acts up where key sometimes thinks it is inserted so dinging continues when key is pulled and lights remain on or off incorrectly.

The best thing about her 06 VUE was $6k for a 40k mile 3 years ago. Dreadful SUV.

Originally Posted By: stevejones
smile.gif

Same here- the ONLY thing on the chain with my ignition key is the door/hatch key, NOT even one house key.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Does this part relate at all to the Saturn VUE 2006 4cylinder? It is a vehicle that gave GM its past poor reputation.

The MIL has one that acts up where key sometimes thinks it is inserted so dinging continues when key is pulled and lights remain on or off incorrectly.

The best thing about her 06 VUE was $6k for a 40k mile 3 years ago. Dreadful SUV.

Probably. Most GM vehicles from the mid 1990s on have some potential for some sort of ignition switch aggravation.

The trucks usually aren't too bad, though I have run into some that needed a wiggle for the key to turn. It's usually the cars that are real bad. I wasn't aware of the safety problems the recall addresses, I just thought it made them a pain in the [censored] to start because you have to wiggle the key over and over again until you wiggle it just right for the switch to turn. Really aggravating.

Originally Posted By: stevejones
I have an '08 G5 - presumably out of the recall window
frown.gif

smile.gif

Same here, only replace the "'08 G5" with "'09 Cobalt SS"

I got out of the habit of having more than the car key(s) on the keyring when I was parking my car at a lot that required I leave my key in case they needed to move the car. Once my vehicles started having remote fobs, it was just easier to not add anything else to that keyring.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Good. I like when manufactures do the right thing and issues a recall.

I am sure they are being forced to based on the litigation from the six fatalities. Since the cars were made over 5 years ago. So, I doubt they are doing the "right thing". There is no doubt they have known about this issue for several years.

Big corporations never seem to do the right thing. It's all about the bottom line. That said, I had an '04 GM car that had a Passkey problem, but don't see how that could kill the airbags.

Originally Posted By: Danno
Have had intermittent no start issues on our 2008 G5. Security light comes on, car cranks and won't start. Seems to be a common PassKey issue with GM. Replaced the security module last week at GM dealer along with programming a new key. Crossing my fingers that that fix will work.

IF that doesn't fix the problem Danno, what Corvette owners have been doing is bypassing the security system. There are several companies that have made a business out of ignition security bypass kits. It is expected when you have a 1997 to 2004 Vette you proactively installed the bypass kit so you do not get stuck somewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back