GM Hides Behind Bankruptcy for Faulty Switches

Status
Not open for further replies.
So let me get this straight... GM's financial division made so many bad subprime car loans that it drove them into bankruptcy. They got bailed out by taxpayers. Since then, they've earned over $22 billion to become one of the most profitable auto makers, while We the People lost over $10 billion on the deal. Now, they're arguing that bankruptcy protection should prevent taxpayers from suing them over their faulty switches.

GM Says Bankruptcy Appeal Should Wait For 2nd Circ. Ruling
By Brandon Lowrey
Law360, Los Angeles (December 23, 2015, 10:52 PM ET) -- General Motors LLC on Tuesday urged a New York federal judge handling multidistrict litigation over faulty ignition switches to delay review of a recent bankruptcy court judgment until after the Second Circuit decides whether bankruptcy protections block most car owners from suing New GM for billions over the defect.

That's what happens when you're "too big to fail"! I used to be a lifetime GM guy, but a few bad experiences & relatives losing a fortune on worthless GM stock fixed that.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Another unintended consequence of the gubbermint meddling in the free market.

Well if there were no bailout, and GM had gone completely out of business, exactly how would those with faulty switch claims be better off?

Everyone got bailed out be it GM, Chrysler, and Ford.

Everyone has defects and recalls. Wasn't until the government made an example out of GM did all the other manufacturers start "noticing" theirs.

Last edited:
I wish this company would have been allowed to die of a well-deserved death instead of using my tax money to prop it up.

Originally Posted By: mk378

Well if there were no bailout, and GM had gone completely out of business, exactly how would those with faulty switch claims be better off?

They'd be the same - claims not being paid.

We have the best government that TBTF mega-corporations can buy. The argument always goes that allowing the Big Auto to fail will destroy jobs and hurt the economy. But think about all the innovative, alternative start-up companies trying to get a foothold in the automotive market. They can't break in because of the dominance of Big Auto. Some of them have ideas that could be as revolutionary for transportation as Ford's Model T was to the horse and buggy. But they'll never have a chance when Big Auto is protected from the consequences of their bad decisions.

the 2008 bailout sham was hilarious, including this old-gm new-gm farce. the american people dont care as a whole, what you should really be peeved about is you didnt profit from it.

My issue with GM is that they aren't using as many US parts suppliers as they should. The new GM trucks have a 40% domestic parts content. 10 years ago it was 90%. The bailout was the right thing to do, but the gov'ts job is to keep them and other companies in check. Hard to do when there is so much legalized bribery in our system. A lot of Americans and Canadians would have lost their jobs as well as the parts suppliers had it not been for the bailout.

FORD CREDIT got a bailout.

xbzcih.jpg

GM still builds great cars and trucks. They've built over 500 million, but I guess there were a few duds in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back