GM Halts Cruze Sales & knew of defect for decade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
The major contributing factor is how much weight is on the key ring. ... If the weight of the keyring exceeds three pounds...

OT,
wow. in metric this is almost 1.5 kg.
that's a small dog/monkey/cat hang from the cylinder....
or a pair of decent boots.....
just wow.

Where is this "three pounds" claim coming from? I don't think I've read that anywhere and I sort of question that number.

From a Wall St. Journal article:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304914904579435171004763740

"In the 2003 incident, the owner "had several keys on the key ring" and the additional weight of the keys had "worn out the ignition switch," GM states in its chronology."

And:

"However, the switch's detent plunger and spring inside allowed the ignition switch to turn back to the "accessory" position when the key was either bumped or there was too much weight hanging from the key's head."

You know maybe they should do another joint venture with Toyota...that way when your Toyota ETC vehicle runs away at high speed out of control it's GM ignition switch fails and shuts it off...
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: pandus13
The major contributing factor is how much weight is on the key ring. ... If the weight of the keyring exceeds three pounds...

OT,
wow. in metric this is almost 1.5 kg.
that's a small dog/monkey/cat hang from the cylinder....
or a pair of decent boots.....
just wow.

Where is this "three pounds" claim coming from? I don't think I've read that anywhere and I sort of question that number.

From a Wall St. Journal article:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304914904579435171004763740

"In the 2003 incident, the owner "had several keys on the key ring" and the additional weight of the keys had "worn out the ignition switch," GM states in its chronology."

And:

"However, the switch's detent plunger and spring inside allowed the ignition switch to turn back to the "accessory" position when the key was either bumped or there was too much weight hanging from the key's head."

It says I have to log in to see the article. The part I can see doesn't say anything about "three pounds" being required.

I don't doubt the additional weight of extra keys exacerbates this issue, I'm questioning the claim of three pounds. I've seen some giant key rings with lots of junk on them, but I don't think I've ever seen/handled one that was close to three pounds.

I googled "gm ignition recall three pounds" and I couldn't find anything citing the three pound number.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
Interesting, Ford seems to recall for any issue. A few months ago I got a recall on my 01 Ford Escape for an anti lock brake issue. I have never heard of a car that old being recalled, the car has 200k on it and has never had an anti lock brake failure.

I still get recall notices for both of my 2000 Grand Prix for possible engine fire.

I can't beleive its that big of a problem, but the average person is a moron and were talking about the same public who had their Toyota's accelerate away on them.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Electric steering with the engine off isn't heavy, it just simply doesn't move....

I suggest anyone with am affected vehicle get it repaired immediately if you do any highway travel.

Sure it does, just like every car built before power steering you need some arm muscles.

Its not steer by wire, its power assist.

Eventually manufactures probably will go to steer by wire but than like in the aircraft industry they will have multiple systems in case of a failure. Same with brakes, like Mercedes SBC system brake by wire is coming too!

Last edited:
I don't doubt the additional weight of extra keys exacerbates this issue, I'm questioning the claim of three pounds. I've seen some giant key rings with lots of junk on them, but I don't think I've ever seen/handled one that was close to three pounds.

I googled "gm ignition recall three pounds" and I couldn't find anything citing the three pound number.
21.gif

Yes, I looked and looked, but I can't find a reference to the 3 pounds, either. Maybe I dreamed it. Sorry to have misled anybody.

21.gif

Yes, I looked and looked, but I can't find a reference to the 3 pounds, either. Maybe I dreamed it. Sorry to have misled anybody.

As I recall, the Colt .45 Single Action Army revolver, the famous Peacemaker, weighted about 3 pounds. Are people hanging their guns off the ignition switch or something???

Some folks have lots of keys on their keyrings. I remember my folks having such keyrings. Those would constantly jangle and sway around every bump and turn. I could never fit such a massive blob of keys into my pocket, so it was always car key and house key only for me. Now it's down to just car key on a lanyard, with the house keys on a separate keychain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back