Question states I use synthetic how does that effect olm

Answer- synthetic has benefits extended drain is not a benifet

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NStuart
Was reading gm olm pdf info frequently asked questions

Question states I use synthetic how does that effect olm

Answer- synthetic has benefits extended drain is not a benifet

lots of manufactures say that.

Right. And I've got some ocean front property in Arizona for sale. If you'll buy that, I'll throw the Golden Gate in for free.

After I read something I know to be untrue, I stop believing anything else the source is telling me.

Name one manufacturer of synthetic oil that recommends 3K oil changes?

The OLM is set for the approved motor oil. Pre-Dexos that would have been dino. Dexos era it would be either a synthetic or semi-synthetic. The monitor itself would have no way of telling what kind of oil you use. I assume that syn. would give a longer interval but it would be in line with what the OLM is set for. If you pour dino oil into a modern Dexos engine it would be thoroughly cooked long before your OLM hit 10%.

Whoever wrote that FAQ did a real bad job of writing clearly.

A decade or so ago there was a GM engineer who wrote the OLM software who posted here. He was driven away by Amsoil fans and dealers, at the time he stated that the OLM was set up for dino oil and that there was no advantage to going with synthetic oil. If you could dig that up, there were some fairly interesting and detailed posts. Of course, that was before Dexos so his comments about the monitor being set for dino oil wouldn't apply today.

Last edited:
GM has an oil spec, dexos, and the many oils meeting it are variously labeled as either full syn or syn blend.
Could a good synthetic allow OCIs well beyond what the IOLM might advise?
Sure, but the problem is that full syn oils range from store brands with weak add packs to the very robust.
GM is not about to get into the business of recommending oils for extended drains by brand and that might not even be helpful since formulations change and any such recommendation would require testing.

Originally Posted By: csandste
A decade or so ago there was a GM engineer who wrote the OLM software who posted here. He was driven away by Amsoil fans and dealers, at the time he stated that the OLM was set up for dino oil and that there was no advantage to going with synthetic oil. If you could dig that up, there were some fairly interesting and detailed posts. Of course, that was before Dexos so his comments about the monitor being set for dino oil wouldn't apply today.

That thread is fascinating! I found it a few months ago when reading up on how GMs OLM was set up, and what affected it's ticking down to zero. He did a far better job explaining it than that FAQ above did, for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back