GM Offers Oil Life Monitor Information

I am glad you know the meaning of what hope is. There are many people "hope" their situation gets better.

I do and I have faith and hope in at least One to make situations better but life has shown me the best way to assist "hope' is with "works" toward the betterment of the given situation then in my experience "help' comes a bit easier than just sitting and waiting. ( and hoping)

That's just another way of politely promoting a WAG by trying to convince people its a SWAG but all roads end at unqualified guess based on indirect data that in no way can be correlated to actual conditions.

I'm comfortable that its close enough "for government work" from looking at all the UOAs' I can gather here and elsewhere that go by its intervals.

No one has outlined a critique severe enough to make believe they have done more work (or any actual work for that matter) or testing on it than Honda has.

UD

I'm comfortable that its close enough "for government work" from looking at all the UOAs' I can gather here and elsewhere that go by its intervals.
No one has outlined a critique severe enough to make believe they have done more work (or any actual work for that matter) or testing on it than Honda has.
UD

That's great and I fully support that usage.

They do have a place and a value. (I don't dispute that either)

As long as people are informed as to the limitations and inaccuracies of the OLM in general and a basic understanding of how they "think" then I'm fine with whatever choice anyone makes.

Its when people claim they are something they aren't or do things they cant or are some kind of legitimate measurement that it becomes a different story.

That's great and I fully support that usage.

They do have a place and a value. (I don't dispute that either)

As long as people are informed as to the limitations and inaccuracies of the OLM in general and a basic understanding of how they "think" then I'm fine with whatever choice anyone makes.

Its when people claim they are something they aren't or do things they cant or are some kind of legitimate measurement that it becomes a different story.

I hear you on understanding these things - people think they work by " licking the oil" and although a few did and do most are just a fancy software algorithm with some obvious limitations.

Hate to hear an OLM empties wallets …
… they are what moved me from 5,000 to 7,500-10,000 mile OCI’s
Only as far as Mercedes is concerned. Don't forget, I'm the guy that went 12,000 miles on an oil change and posted the results here. OH THE Horrors!
I am a huge believer in the GM OLM, it is based on science that I understand. It's NOT something that uses an electrical signal to test your oil. If that were possible, a whole bunch of oil testing labs just went out of business.

Counter point: what about the increased oil consumption in new vehicles and lack of consumer knowledge? How many GM products with the 2.4 Ecotec are running around out there, just drinking oil with absolutely no signs of a problem to the untrained eye. The Subaru FB20 that regularly drinks a quart every 1k-1,200 miles even when maintained. These regular people have no idea that they're driving a ticking time bomb. Yes, blame it on the lack of regular fluid checks. Fact of the matter is: regular fluid checks have LONG been a thing of the past. However, consistent and excessive oil usage used to be a thing that was recognized and dealt with accordingly. Difference is: it used to be associated with old beaters. Junkers. Throw away cars. Today, that's considered acceptable by most major manufacturers.

The 3mo/3k mile OC was a complete overreach no more than 10 years ago. Now? With 4 quart sumps and 1qt/1k miles "acceptable" oil burn limits per the OEM's, it's actually BENEFICIAL to the consumer to have their 0w20 Subaru (insert any brand here) oil changed every 3-5k. Does the cost increase slightly? Sure. But how much does a new FB20 cost? Or a new Ecotec? Last Equinox engine I did with a crate GM motor was just over $8,300. That buys a LOT of oil changes, even at a quick lube.

As an additional data point: I've actually seen many manufacturers move AWAY from oil level sensors. SO many GM vehicles used to have them. VW's. BMW's. I'm sure many more. We (the government) decided that TPMS warning systems were of the utmost importance, yet oil level sensors have received no attention. Same goes for mandatory automatic headlights, but that's a different discussion.

last thing I had burn oil was a 1979 PowerWagon after it was 10 years old (valve stems) … kept it another 7 …

The Subaru FB20DI direct injection engine that debuted in the 2017 Impreza does not have oil consumption issues. 80 percent of the parts are different from the previous generation 2.0 port injection FB20 engine of 2010-2016.

Counter point: what about the increased oil consumption in new vehicles and lack of consumer knowledge? How many GM products with the 2.4 Ecotec are running around out there, just drinking oil with absolutely no signs of a problem to the untrained eye. The Subaru FB20 that regularly drinks a quart every 1k-1,200 miles even when maintained. These regular people have no idea that they're driving a ticking time bomb. Yes, blame it on the lack of regular fluid checks. Fact of the matter is: regular fluid checks have LONG been a thing of the past. However, consistent and excessive oil usage used to be a thing that was recognized and dealt with accordingly. Difference is: it used to be associated with old beaters. Junkers. Throw away cars. Today, that's considered acceptable by most major manufacturers.

The 3mo/3k mile OC was a complete overreach no more than 10 years ago. Now? With 4 quart sumps and 1qt/1k miles "acceptable" oil burn limits per the OEM's, it's actually BENEFICIAL to the consumer to have their 0w20 Subaru (insert any brand here) oil changed every 3-5k. Does the cost increase slightly? Sure. But how much does a new FB20 cost? Or a new Ecotec? Last Equinox engine I did with a crate GM motor was just over $8,300. That buys a LOT of oil changes, even at a quick lube.

As an additional data point: I've actually seen many manufacturers move AWAY from oil level sensors. SO many GM vehicles used to have them. VW's. BMW's. I'm sure many more. We (the government) decided that TPMS warning systems were of the utmost importance, yet oil level sensors have received no attention. Same goes for mandatory automatic headlights, but that's a different discussion.
That's an interesting counterpart. A motor that burns a qt/2k will need 4 quarts over a 10k OCI (a qt at 2k, 4k, 6k, 8k and at change time it'll be a quart low). A 3k OCI would need just one quart, and maybe not even that--although "wrong" might motor along just fine being 1.5 quarts low at OCI. Doing the 3k OCI's on a 4 quart sump would be either 12 quarts (no makeup oil) or 15 quarts, and some number of filters (good case to use a filter for more than one OCI) (little bit of rounding here). The 10k OCI would need 8 quarts though, for significant savings.

But for people who can't be bothered to check the dipstick... costly mistake indeed.

I didn't realize that GM had oil level sensors? New one on me (no real surprise). I do wonder why they aren't standard equipment though. Not that expensive and given the number of oil burning motors out there... Maybe they don't do that as it's perceived as an admission of guilt? A cross of that and some numbers work that indicates only a few engines will have to be replaced under warranty, and that cost is less than the cost of a sensor per vehicle? Wild guess says that no dealership wants a customer coming in every 1-2k shouting "why is my low oil level light on!?!?! didn't you fix that the last time I was here? just fix it already!"

Not sure why but I find how OLM's work fascinating. Not enough information to say with certainty but similar to the OLM in my 15 F150. Except Ford seems to think perfect oil use is 10k and 1 year and GM targets 7500k and 1 year.

I've read some of how the BMW OLM's work but I have not read anything on Audi or MB. Just has me wondering......o_O

I'm fairly certain the Fords Max at 10,000 mi OCI and the GMs at 12,000 mi.

My little Sister has a 2008 Pontiac Solistice with WELL over 100,000 mi and it has a 2.4L Ecotec and has only gotten dealer oil changes with bulk per OLM since day one. Admittedly mostly Dexos and D1G2 since they have existed. It still uses less than a quart between oil changes that usually occur between 7,000 - 9,000 mi.

My little Sister has a 2008 Pontiac Solistice with WELL over 100,000 mi and it has a 2.4L Ecotec and has only gotten dealer oil changes with bulk per OLM since day one. Admittedly mostly Dexos and D1G2 since they have existed. It still uses less than a quart between oil changes that usually occur between 7,000 - 9,000 mi.
I think the newer ecotecs were more of a problem. The older ones just had some timing chain issues if not maintained well enough.

I do and I have faith and hope in at least One to make situations better but life has shown me the best way to assist "hope' is with "works" toward the betterment of the given situation then in my experience "help' comes a bit easier than just sitting and waiting. ( and hoping)

I have learned that love... Is not really just a "feeling"... It is action... Doing something... Taking action...

Hope is a feeling... And gets you no where without an action or actions....

Love can be a feeling... But it means nothing... Absolutely nothing...

Without meaningful actions being done.

I didn't realize that GM had oil level sensors? New one on me (no real surprise). I do wonder why they aren't standard equipment though. Not that expensive and given the number of oil burning motors out there... Maybe they don't do that as it's perceived as an admission of guilt? A cross of that and some numbers work that indicates only a few engines will have to be replaced under warranty, and that cost is less than the cost of a sensor per vehicle? Wild guess says that no dealership wants a customer coming in every 1-2k shouting "why is my low oil level light on!?!?! didn't you fix that the last time I was here? just fix it already!"

Some GM vehicles have low oil level sensors, not an actual oil level sensor like mercedes and the like. Very simple float and a reed switch type setup. Th silverados had them starting in 99 IIRC. Not sure if the new ones do.

I swore when I was a GM tech that I read information that the OLM took into account Time, Miles, Engine revolutions, Operating temp, cold starts, engine load, ect.... Granted Some of these play into oil life more than others.

I have always thought gm was ahead of the curve on OLMs.

Always remember and never forget

All of these "monitors" do not take any direct sample from the oil and all of these equations are based on lab numbers measured against a specific oil mixture ( which may even be hypothetical) against a set scale or operational requirements.

They also do not account for variables such as wear, contamination, extreme usage or anything else.

Just always know that's how much they are worth and if your individual vehicle falls outside of the criteria then whatever reading you may get is not directly applicable to your situation.
Great points! This is why I don't follow mine. UOA data showed it to be overly optimistic in both my vehicles. Then for no rhyme or reason one of the OLM's started to malfunction and would have me changing good oil [as per more than one UOA] in 2,000 miles or less. I wish it was offered as an option, and the few $$ saved by me opting out would have gone toward my first fill up.

I swore when I was a GM tech that I read information that the OLM took into account Time, Miles, Engine revolutions, Operating temp, cold starts, engine load, ect.... Granted Some of these play into oil life more than others.

I have always thought gm was ahead of the curve on OLMs.

I do not and did not have any GM with an OLM but your statement i what I believed as well. My Forld OLM was IMHO behind the curve. GM was not exactly advanced compared to modern BMW and MB (not sure of Acura or Audi). For those of us who are locked into our vehicles, until we get an OLM that replicates an actual oil analysis it will always be a subpar tool. At the cost of modern vehicles you would think the algorithms would have come farther toward that end.

I do not and did not have any GM with an OLM but your statement i what I believed as well. My Forld OLM was IMHO behind the curve. GM was not exactly advanced compared to modern BMW and MB (not sure of Acura or Audi). For those of us who are locked into our vehicles, until we get an OLM that replicates an actual oil analysis it will always be a subpar tool. At the cost of modern vehicles you would think the algorithms would have come farther toward that end.

If you're waiting for an OLM that will accurately replicate an actual oil analysis done in a lab I'd suggest not holding your breath for that. Even the smartest and best designed OLM will still be a calculation which will always be inferior to a lab test as there are more variables that can be accounted for in a lab. All the modern OLM's are quite good and a big upgrade over just counting to 5,000 miles and they serve the general driving public very well.

If you're waiting for an OLM that will accurately replicate an actual oil analysis done in a lab I'd suggest not holding your breath for that. Even the smartest and best designed OLM will still be a calculation which will always be inferior to a lab test as there are more variables that can be accounted for in a lab. All the modern OLM's are quite good and a big upgrade over just counting to 5,000 miles and they serve the general driving public very well.

There is no holding my breath. We are not in agreement on this one. 2015 Ford OLM in my F150 Lariat is NOT "quite good." If we can have a car like a Subaru Outback with EyeSight that actually works rather well then we can sure have a better OLM system. Not that the 17 Subaru in my sig even has an OLM! Not everyone drives the same in the same temps in the same flat or same hilly areas. I'm all hills, many steep; in a 4 season area from upper 90's and high humidity to dry bone chilling -10F. That's my driving world.

Back