GM Ecotec 1.4L - Wrong Oil Filter Installed by Dealer - Engine Damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got around to bringing the car in. The service advisor I spoke to seemed to skirt around the issue and downplay my concerns. He definitely did not seem interested in helping me at all nor did he seem to care much about potential engine damage. He was also very passive aggressive and condescending. He noticed my jacket and asked me if I’m an engineer (I came from work and was wearing a company jacket). I said yes and he said “go figure, you guys overthink everything.” I replied that he would too on a $26k car that had last 4 simple oil changes messed up.

I asked him to have a tech listen to the engine and all they did was verify that I had installed the correct oil filter and wanted to send me on my way. They said they only did oil changes on a Friday after I pressed him on how throughly they listened for any abnormal noise and there was no tech to look the engine over.

I have to bring the car back another day. I’ll be asking for the service manager on my return visit.

I was hoping the experience would have been dealt with more professionally but can’t say I’m surprised I’m already getting the run around.

My fiancé’s family has bought 7 vehicles from this dealership over the years. They may lose a long customer if they don’t make this right.

Unfortunately for them I won’t be going away.
Challenge accepted. I personally would have made it very clear what my end game was. THEY screwed up the oil changes, and now it’s time to get corporate involved. Don’t let them play games with you.

I have seen this similar situation played out before. If your lucky, you may get GM to have the dealership drop the pan and take off one or two connecting rod bearing end caps and inspect and go from there.

More often than not if GM does not want to do that, you may be offered an extended warranty.

Hope it works out for you.

What dealership only does oil changes on Fridays? That makes no sense at all. So if a customer comes in on Wednesday with a list of service needs that include an oil change, the dealership does everything except the oil change and asks the customer to come back on Friday for an oil change?

Between the service advisor thinking he is "funny" with his engineer comment, and then being so dismissive, I would have been done with that dealer right then and there.

Latest Update:

I spoke to the service dept manager early this week and he was wishy washy and didn't offer an extended warranty. He said that he agreed engine damage "could have" occurred and he wouldn't pursue an extended warranty as GM initiates a warranty starting at the day of the complaint. So he said it would be best to wait it out until the factory warranty runs out and then they would possibly goodwill any repair assuming we continue to have the vehicle maintained at their dealership.

I asked to get our conversation documented on a receipt for the vehicle and the service manager hemmed and hawed, but then said he would do that shortly and then email me a copy. I never heard anything again after that, and no email ever came. If I can't get them to honor their word after a few days, what makes them think I trust them to honor their word down the road years from now if something happens to the engine?

I am calling GM this morning. Too fed up to deal with this dealership anymore.

Update:

I called GM. The service rep said they did not have any access to the GM Technical Service Bulletin but found it hard to believe the incorrect oil filter would be installed in my engine by a servicing dealer. I then thoroughly explained what happened and my concern and they gave me a case # and said it would be documented on the vehicle record. I gave them the TSB #, etc. In mind it is at least a starting point. They then said the dealer would be contacting me to follow up on my concerns. Unfortunately, I may be back to square one with this dealer.

I may take it to another Buick dealer I haven't been to before that's also nearby and explain to them my concern and give them my GM case #. Maybe they'll be more accommodating to earn new business versus the existing dealer who obviously doesn't value repeat customers.

I may take it to another Buick dealer I haven't been to before that's also nearby and explain to them my concern and give them my GM case #. Maybe they'll be more accommodating to earn new business versus the existing dealer who obviously doesn't value repeat customers.
You need to call GM back like I mention previously give your case number and politely insist they make an appointment with the factory district service in person at a dealer...face to face is best . do not take no for an answer. This is done all the time...if the phone rep you speak to isnt accommodating you ask to speak with their supervisor to get an appointment set up. Post back with another update.. Thanks

I called GM a few weeks ago and laid out my case and gave them the TSB number. I received a letter from Buick in the mail yesterday stating that they regret my poor experience at the dealer and they are extending the engine warranty coverage to 125,000 miles which is good at any GM dealership. The warranty is tied to my VIN and is is transferable to another owner. The letter shows that the dealer service manager was copied and it had a note that the dealer should add this letter to their records.

Kudos to GM for stepping up to the plate. I will never do business with that dealership again. They never even called me back.

I wonder if the dealership got a talking to by GM? I imagine GM knows now there could be many other vehicles serviced by this dealership running around the wrong oil filters installed on them.

I called GM a few weeks ago and laid out my case and gave them the TSB number. I received a letter from Buick in the mail yesterday stating that they regret my poor experience at the dealer and they are extending the engine warranty coverage to 125,000 miles which is good at any GM dealership. The warranty is tied to my VIN and is is transferable to another owner. The letter shows that the dealer service manager was copied and it had a note that the dealer should add this letter to their records.

Kudos to GM for stepping up to the plate. I will never do business with that dealership again. They never even called me back.

I wonder if the dealership got a talking to by GM? I imagine GM knows now there could be many other vehicles serviced by this dealership running around the wrong oil filters installed on them.
About the way I figured it would play out.

I doubt GM corporate gave anybody at the dealership any negative waves over this. Especially if they are dealership that meets sales goal.

I'm pretty sure the district service rep probably put the dealer on notice that any other problems in the future related to such damage costs will come out of their own pockets. But it is VERY telling that the dealer service manager or general manager never called you back, NEVER, EVER deal with a place like that again indeed, they clearly have contempt for the customer, and don't care about quality and competent service.
I would go so far as to say that if for some reason you did go back there for service, your car might be sabotaged in retaliation.
You've been warned!! Please keep your word. Thanks. I'm glad the mfr did the right thing. Now your focus is on finding a trustworthy dealer that is competent.

I changed my filter today. The first picture is the incorrect filter the dealer put on that I posted several months back. The second is the correct filter after around 6000 miles. There really doesn't seem to be a lot of difference in the looks after being used. I'm new to this type of filter so it may be the norm.
Screenshot_20210327-194818_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210327-195117_Gallery.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back