GM Ecotec 1.4L - Wrong Oil Filter Installed by Dealer - Engine Damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
What part of getting the paper work before they have an opportunity to figure out something is up and alter it is unclear to you?

Oh, I don't know. This was a new vehicle purchase. Every new vehicle I've bought has had the dealer sales people stress at how I ought to get all the service done there because they really know what they are doing. Every vehicle's owner manual states in several places how the authorized dealers know all about MY vehicle and how it will be serviced and repaired exactly as it should, that I should have no worries about a dealer doing it.

Maybe that doesn't happen with GM's? I wouldn't know, haven't bought one since 2000.

Oh, I don't know. This was a new vehicle purchase. Every new vehicle I've bought has had the dealer sales people stress at how I ought to get all the service done there because they really know what they are doing. Every vehicle's owner manual states in several places how the authorized dealers know all about MY vehicle and how it will be serviced and repaired exactly as it should, that I should have no worries about a dealer doing it.

Maybe that doesn't happen with GM's? I wouldn't know, haven't bought one since 2000.

I think maybe you need to go back and try to wrap your head around what was being discussed and perhaps read the whole thread because you are coming off quite dense. If your just wanting to be on about how bad dealer service is thats fine... but just go on your rant and leave me out of it if so.

How many thousands of people will kill their engines because of this Dumb-Ars design move. Wasn't there an enginner in GM that said WAIT!!! WAIT!!! This is a stupid move, we need to make this design to not make it work if some has the other filter version.
That's the problem when engineers are subservient to 'bean counters' as they seem to be at 'the big 3' automakers...

I finally got around to bringing the car in. The service advisor I spoke to seemed to skirt around the issue and downplay my concerns. He definitely did not seem interested in helping me at all nor did he seem to care much about potential engine damage. He was also very passive aggressive and condescending. He noticed my jacket and asked me if I’m an engineer (I came from work and was wearing a company jacket). I said yes and he said “go figure, you guys overthink everything.” I replied that he would too on a $26k car that had last 4 simple oil changes messed up.

I asked him to have a tech listen to the engine and all they did was verify that I had installed the correct oil filter and wanted to send me on my way. They said they only did oil changes on a Friday after I pressed him on how throughly they listened for any abnormal noise and there was no tech to look the engine over.

I have to bring the car back another day. I’ll be asking for the service manager on my return visit.

I was hoping the experience would have been dealt with more professionally but can’t say I’m surprised I’m already getting the run around.

My fiancé’s family has bought 7 vehicles from this dealership over the years. They may lose a long customer if they don’t make this right.

Unfortunately for them I won’t be going away.

Last edited:
I finally got around to bringing the car in. The service advisor I spoke to seemed to skirt around the issue and downplay my concerns. He definitely did not seem interested in helping me at all nor did he seem to care much about potential engine damage. He was also very passive aggressive and condescending. He noticed my jacket and asked me if I’m an engineer (I came from work and was wearing a company jacket). I said yes and he said “go figure, you guys overthink everything.” I replied that he would too on a $26k car that had last 4 simple oil changes messed up.

I asked him to have a tech listen to the engine and all they did was verify that I had installed the correct oil filter and wanted to send me on my way. They said they only did oil changes on a Friday after I pressed him on how throughly they listened for any abnormal noise and there was no tech to look the engine over.

I have to bring the car back another day. I’ll be asking for the service manager on my return visit.

I was hoping the experience would have been dealt with more professionally but can’t say I’m surprised I’m already getting the run around.

My fiancé’s family has bought 7 vehicles from this dealership over the years. They may lose a long customer if they don’t make this right.

Unfortunately for them I won’t be going away.
You need to contact the dealership principal and or owner. Call GM and open up a complaint ticket. The managers aren't going to do anything except stall and try and make you give up. I have a feeling if you can get in touch with the actual owner of the dealer you might get things addressed.

He was also very passive aggressive and condescending. He noticed my jacket and asked me if I’m an engineer (I came from work and was wearing a company jacket). I said yes and he said “go figure, you guys overthink everything.” I replied that he would too on a $26k car that had last 4 simple oil changes messed up.
Wow, you need to talk to at least the service manager and probably the general manager. Making condescending, personal remarks like that is not okay no matter what kind of day he was having. I'll be curt with people that are just playing games, but I'd never make a personal comment about a customer like that.

Wow, you need to talk to at least the service manager and probably the general manager. Making condescending, personal remarks like that is not okay no matter what kind of day he was having. I'll be curt with people that are just playing games, but I'd never make a personal comment about a customer like that.
Just the fact alone that the SW made those comments shows that it comes from his manager the SM...
I worked in this business, and know theses things well. When you get that kind of obnoxious and overt insult from a lower level employee the cues come from the next level of management which would be the SM...you skip this guy and go directly to the dealership principal/owner.

DIAL DIRECT IS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY AND THE CORRECT ACTION IN THIS CASE.

You're probably right, I think where I work the current SM would fire someone for saying that to a customer, but we also haven't had that problem. That is just insanely bad service.

I left the SM a voicemail on Saturday. Still waiting for a call back. If I don't hear back after today I will try and get a hold of the general manager. I figure if I don't hear back from a SM in 3 days that's equal to getting more runaround. Thanks for help so far guys.

My main concern by contacting GM at this point is them flagging my VIN and voiding the warranty leaving me completely stuck. Could they do that?

Just to clarify. The drainback valve keeps oil in the galleries so the oil instantly reaches the upper section of the head when you start the car. Without the drainback valve it takes a few seconds for oil to reach the upper section of the head, however, the oil is still getting filtered once it starts circulating. It is more important in cold climates, but since you are in North Carolina I don’t think you need to lose sleep over. Good work in catching the detail. :)
Actually no.

Have the courtesy to state your case.
There is nothing in the oil galleys that keep oil in any of the engines bearings, Cam , Connecting rods or crank shaft are sealed to hold in oil. No case just years of repairing. The oil drains out at the lowest point.

There is nothing in the oil galleys that keep oil in any of the engines bearings, Cam , Connecting rods or crank shaft are sealed to hold in oil. No case just years of repairing. The oil drains out at the lowest point.
Thanks. We need to be specific to the engine design. This whole posting was a bit of a red-herring. Turns out this is a strange filter configuration and it turns out they weren't even talking about an anti-drain back valve.

I’ll revise my posting and talk about a LS Chevy engine. The oil is pumped up to the top of the block and the moves downward to the cam and crank. When the engine is stopped, the oil that pumped up to the top of the block stays in the galley from the ADBV up to the top of the block. The oil that was on its way down to the cam and crank will drain into the pan. On the next start up, the oil is already at the top of the block and continues to flow towards the cam and crank. Oil is held in the galley to the far right and stays in place until the next start up. When you unscrew an oil filter on a LS engine, you get a cascade of oil that was stored in the galley. So, all specific to the engine design, but that's why most filters have an anti-drain back valve. So you are totally correct in the case of the OP's engine.

Oiling system LS engine.PNG

Last edited:
No the oil eventually drains out of all the bearings, I have spent too many years working on engines. Take an engine apart.

I left the SM a voicemail on Saturday. Still waiting for a call back. If I don't hear back after today I will try and get a hold of the general manager. I figure if I don't hear back from a SM in 3 days that's equal to getting more runaround. Thanks for help so far guys.

My main concern by contacting GM at this point is them flagging my VIN and voiding the warranty leaving me completely stuck. Could they do that?
Absolutely not. That's retaliation if they did try it. That's why I would also call the manufacturer and open up a complaint ticket with them. If it were me I'd ask to speak to the MFR district service rep, that deals with all the dealers in your region.

Snagglefoot said:
Have the courtesy to state your case.
There is nothing in the oil galleys that keep oil in any of the engines bearings, Cam , Connecting rods or crank shaft bearings are NOT sealed to hold in oil. No case just years of repairing. The oil drains out at the lowest point.
I came back and REREAD the post and I made a mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back