GM dealer filled oil with conventional 5W30 vs synthetic, should i worry?

was -13 fahrenheit last night, having nightmares of those 'cold flow' videos off youtube. truck sounds fine tho when it starts/runs

No disrespect intended. With 215K miles on the vehicle in all honesty I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it, unless I was charged for synthetic oil and got conventional oil instead. A 5W30 conventional oil will be fine, if it bothers you that much shorten the OCI. The conventional oils of today are quite good.

ok so i have a 2007 cadillac escalade with 215,000 miles on it. It has the factory 6.2L engine. for all of its life ive been filling with synthetic 5w30 when i goto the dealer. this time the guy asked what i wanted and i said synthetic but then he went on break and i guess the other guy followed the computer and apparently it said conventional/reg 5w30 was fine? i thought gm dealers/cadillac dealers always tried to push the 5w30 dexos but thats besides the point. so i have read many threads and it seems like conventional and synthetic perform basically the same and the only reason to run synthetic is for longer oci's. I never really cared for higher OCI's, i just follow the OLM. However I just want to ensure that this conventional fill wont affect anything? like i also heard that if you run conventional all the time then switch to synthetic late in the vehicles life you can run into leak issues. my truck is pretty high mileage so i just wanna ensure that its okay for this oil change to be with the reg 5w30 even tho ive ran synthetic all its life. the main thing that bums me out is that its gonna start getting cold here as cold as -40fahrenheit and i kinda wanted the synthetic for better cold startups, not sure if there will be a big diff between conventional and that for cold temps. i expect the temps to be between -4f and -22f mostly this winter and could get colder to -40 for a day or 2

so my main question is, should i drain the conventional asap and fill some store bought 5w30 or is it fine to keep the reg 5w30 for this oil interval even tho my truck is high mileage and always ran synthetic. i just dont want any problems like leaks or other problems etc

btw i dont even know what oil they ran, it just says reg 5w30 but its a cadillac/gm dealerhsip any ideas? seems to be from the pump machine rather then jugs
thanks!
2007 Caddy..conventional is ok per your owners manual I think.
Switch back to your full syn next change. I.am surprised the full synthetic in that old engine..didnt take out the seals and gaskets and create obnoxious leaks
I highly re commend WIX oil filters. Me? I have a 2005 GM 3.5ltr V6 that loves FVP and Dollar store 5w30 API SN and SN+..at qt. I am prejudice against Supertech oil and their oil filters with no silicone ADV valves are not good.

Seems like us “spring chickens” are up late in the work week for some reason 😷
I have a dealer that accepts customers bringing their oil and filter of choice..and for 22.50 including tax etc hits my 12 zerks, rotates my tires, does inspection and gives me accurate 3 page report. Yes..his std labor rate is $130/hr..so..I have them install a battery once..that is all. The old Montana battery is ..BURIED...as is the thermostat and alternator..fyi.

Switch back to your full syn next change. I.am surprised the full synthetic in that old engine..didnt take out the seals and gaskets and create obnoxious leaks
I highly re commend WIX oil filters. Me? I have a 2005 GM 3.5ltr V6 that loves FVP and Dollar store 5w30 API SN and SN+..at qt. I am prejudice against Supertech oil and their oil filters with no silicone ADV valves are not good.
So you’re new here?

I have a dealer that accepts customers bringing their oil and filter of choice..and for 22.50 including tax etc hits my 12 zerks, rotates my tires, does inspection and gives me accurate 3 page report. Yes..his std labor rate is $130/hr..so..I have them install a battery once..that is all. The old Montana battery is ..BURIED...as is the thermostat and alternator..fyi.
After buying the vehicle … found out my Jeep has a second “buried” battery … too bad they could not of used one oversized battery in conjunction with the over sized alternator it has …

I would run it 2000 miles and change it. I believe you will notice the oil is a darker color than it would be with a full synthetic. I had a quick lube place change the oil in a 99 Ford Expedition I owned and I could tell later on the oil was darker than normal. I have to believe they put a conventional oil it. Synthetics seem to keep a more clean color a lot longer than regular oils. Just my .02 cents.

When I worked at GM dealer few years ago I was told the "Bulk Oil' was Mobil 1 ??

I guess it varies in certain regions/Countries ?? :unsure:

I remember once a visiting QC inspector from GM telling me that if a engine fails using a AC/Delco filter or AC/Delco motor oil that it's covered under a GM warranty. Case in point he told me a story of a 3800 V6 engine in a police impala that got replaced due to a defective Delco oil filter :oops: :oops:

Dave

Don't worry be happy, run it for a semi-normal time, change just a little early if you want to. BTW, garyt28221, do you have ANY conclusive facts that support your claim against supertech and their filters!! I will bet that i sold more filters in a week than you have used in your life and i can count on the fingers of one hand how many bad filters i had returned. FILTERS were a stocked item at our high volume commercial accounts, our drivers took counts and we would re-stock on next delivery. I remember working DIY, and a regular customer had a Fram that he installed and returned because it leaked, it did not have the seal.

I.am surprised the full synthetic in that old engine..didnt take out the seals and gaskets and create obnoxious leaks

Oy gevalt!

This hasn't been the case for synthetics for a long time now. Maybe since sometime in the 1970s.

Well what I'm wondering they don't give those oil changes away did they charge you for synthetic?
Now 49.95 Ac Delco pro filter and AcDelco Dexos2 Ilsac GF-6A synthetic and lube 12 ? Zerks ..tire rotation and total car inspection report. THEY ONLY charge me $20 ..22w tax if I supply the oil and filter. I am not complaining. 100% synthetic ok in my 1995 thru 2009 200,000 mile vehicles. I accept those who say "new " all synthetic WILL NOT destroy seals..1990 models thru 2022. High mileage appears to be ILSAC GF6..6A..6B good. I am shocked at how many stores are stocking shelves with GF5!! The bottles were allegedly supposed to bottle 6.6A.6B starting March 2020.

Back