GM dealer filled oil with conventional 5W30 vs synthetic, should i worry?

Your Escalade came factory filled with Mobil 1 5W/30 and requires atleast a DEXOS certified motor oil. If they used a conventional NON DEXOS oil the world is not going to end and one time won't hurt. I would probably, as mentioned above, run a shorter interval then normal.
Why would Mobil 1 5w30 be factory fill when
GM6094M is the recommendation?

Reactions: SR5
Why would Mobil 1 5w30 be factory fill when
GM6094M is the recommendation?
Not sure why Mobil is saying that but I work in the plant that built that truck and it was Mobil 1. The eventually cancelled Mobil 1 as factory fill somewhere around 2009-10 (dexos replaced all certs) so perhaps Mobil lumped all years together. However - when you see their recommendations - they are all syn oils except the last one.

update**

I still kept the reg 5w30 in, whatever it is. however I still have side thoughts or am comtemplating changing since its about to get very cold as in -25 celcius regularly and ill only be plugging in block heater sometimes. i just keep seeing those cold flow videos between syn and conventional and kinda scares me. or am i honestly over thinkin?

thx
Maybe you will sleep better with 0w30 and run it long enough to offset the cost delta. It’s going to have a good base stock to start with.

update**

I still kept the reg 5w30 in, whatever it is. however I still have side thoughts or am comtemplating changing since its about to get very cold as in -25 celcius regularly and ill only be plugging in block heater sometimes. i just keep seeing those cold flow videos between syn and conventional and kinda scares me. or am i honestly over thinkin?

thx
-25C is nowhere near too cold for any 5W rated oil with or without a block heater.

And ignore the goofy “cold flow videos”. It’s about the winter rating.

If the OP gets to -40 actual, I would also consider 0w30, with lowest pour point readily available. Or if -40 is an outlier, make sure it's plugged in when it gets that cold.

got more info! i called in and all the info he could find is its bulk shell 5w30 spi ca
he doesnt know which rotella or whatever it is. all he knows is its spi ca and from shell

any ideas what it could be?

thx

got more info! i called in and all the info he could find is its bulk shell 5w30 spi ca
he doesnt know which rotella or whatever it is. all he knows is its spi ca and from shell
Would that be API CK ?

Shell Rotella T6 5W30 multi-vehicle is a full synthetic rated API CK-4 and SN, not saying it’s exactly that oil, but they would be typical specs (or SP instead of SN).

Would that be API CK ?

Shell Rotella T6 5W30 multi-vehicle is a full synthetic rated API CK-4 and SN, not saying it’s exactly that oil, but they would be typical specs (or SP instead of SN).
Sadly not sure I asked twice and he said SPI CA and said it’s regular oil conventional

doesn’t know if it’s semi or syn

sadly forgot my pw to my email so i cant login to apollo anymore. i still had it logged in on my phone. time to login to jali on the phone as well

sadly forgot my pw to my email so i cant login to apollo anymore. i still had it logged in on my phone. time to login to jali on the phone as well
You mean you forgot it in the two hours since you last used that identity?

And btw posting under more than one user name is against forum rules.

And btw posting under more than one user name is against forum rules.
I meant to say that one account was logged into my phone and I forgot the pw to be able to log it onto my laptop. That’s why I made a new account. Thanks for the info. I’ll let mods know from my phone to delete the Apollo account

:)

I meant to say that one account was logged into my phone and I forgot the pw to be able to log it onto my laptop. That’s why I made a new account. Thanks for the info. I’ll let mods know from my phone to delete the Apollo account

:)
You mean the one you’re also logged into now?

You got any other user names you wanna tell us about?

Sadly not sure I asked twice and he said SPI CA and said it’s regular oil conventional

doesn’t know if it’s semi or syn
Never heard of SPI and the only CA I know is the original diesel API spec ”CA” but that is from about the 1940’s with CB in the 50’s and CC class oil from the 60’s (or thereabouts). These are a completely obsolete oil classes. We are up to API CK now with CH being the oldest I have seen on the shelves.

With API (American Petroleum Institute) you had Cx for diesel Compression ignition engines, and Sx for gasoline Spark ignition engines. Plus there are some new FA diesel oils that are less viscous and more Fuel efficient. Maybe he said “FA” as these are usually 5W30’s or 10W30’s.

Conventional means a mineral (non-synthetic) oil, but sometimes they are a synblend (semi-synthetic) to meet the modern API specs.

You also have the Euro ACEA specs, but these are unlikely as a bulk fill in America.

Thats how things get screwed up.
How people get an engine with no oil etc.
Oil change takes 10 min.
He should finish before break

Gotta wonder how much Synthetic base stock that 5W-30 "conventional" has in it.

It would be more if it was "conventional" 5W-20.

Ever notice, there are no conventional 0W-20s?

OP, you'll be fine.

Back