GM beats Toyota in 2022 US auto sales on strong demand. -Techxplore

If you remove the Maverick from the numbers (which really isn't a pickup), it looks like GM has surpassed Ford in pickup sales.

It appears the shortages are coming to an end. Good news for the General.And I wonder if lack of EVs hurt Toyota.

GM beats Toyota in US auto sales on strong demand https://techxplore.com/news/2023-01-gm-toyota-auto-sales-strong.html

I doubt EVs sour sales much. Aren’t they something like 5% of the market currently? Toyota hybrids seem to sell well. There are scads of them in my area anyway.

If anything has affected Toyota sales it might be they’re coming to the party late in certain segments. The new Tundra was late and Lexus really needs to get the TX out there. That’s a big hole for them right now though the Highlander is on the Toyota side.

Worldwide they seem to be fine.

I am not sure the 2022 sales figures mean anything other than a manufacturer having parts available to put the vehicles on the lot, or a manufacture willing to sell a new vehicle with parts missing/ some functionality unavailable, where other manufacturers are not allowing vehicles to sell without full functionality.

McDonalds outsells Chik Fil A, but that has very little to do with quality of product or customer satisfaction and does not relate to more profit of McD by store. It simply has to do with McD having more stores- has nothing to do with customer demand, quality, or satisfaction.

Mitsubishi, if they had the ability to produce SUVs at unlimited capacity in 2022, might have been the top selling SUV in 2022. Sales numbers in 2022 came down to vehicle availability- not desirability.

Last edited:
I think the last few weeks of cold temperatures woke people up on EV's. Bad enough that the range dropped off around 40% but seeing the car wouldn't take a charge in sub zero temperatures had to be a real nightmare for the owners. Wait until the owners in the warmer climates find out what heat does to the life expectancy of their very expensive out of warranty battery after a few years.

I think part of the reason is GM has a lot of different vehicle choices and the prices are generally a little less money. Toyota's are just more money for the same size vehicle in most cases excluding the tried and true Corolla. The GM pickups are all over the place as well as the Suburban's. Plus GM has the coveted Corvette and Camaro's. GM has a lot of affordable vehicles and Toyota's seem to be a few thousand more dollars in comparison to size and weight. I see lots of rental GM fleet cars and not as many Toyota's either.

Toyota is down 12% from last year. I asked in September and the wait for a Rav4 - there number one seller, was 4 months. 6 months for the hybrid version.

I assume so long because no one wanted them / Sarc.

Competition is good for the consumer. I am glad someone else is at the top - just to pressure everyone else - including GM to stay there.

The sales numbers have little to do with stance on EVs.

Half of GM's sales were trucks and large SUVs, so it indicates strong demand for large vehicles.

Domestic automakers still dominate the truck segment.

If people had a choice of vehicles and not forced to buy only what is available it would be completely different. Also those GM buyers will turn to Toyota soon with all the problems they have, worse than normal post 2020.

I don't think it has anything to do with strong demand. It has to with supply. GM has more supply to sell. Toyota has very little inventory. You can't sell what you don't have.
Yep, GM dealers by me have their lots pretty well stocked, especially with trucks. Toyota and Honda dealers have minimal inventory, not even any cars on display in the show room.

Back in the pre C-19 days when you stepped on the lot to pick up parts I'd usually get approached by a salesman, now they are all on their phones and won't bother you even when you walk through the show room.

Already being discussed here.

I am not sure the 2022 sales figures mean anything other than a manufacturer having parts available to put the vehicles on the lot, or a manufacture willing to sell a new vehicle with parts missing/ some functionality unavailable, where other manufacturers are not allowing vehicles to sell without full functionality.

McDonalds outsells Chik Fil A, but that has very little to do with quality of product or customer satisfaction and does not relate to more profit of McD by store. It simply has to do with McD having more stores- has nothing to do with customer demand, quality, or satisfaction.

Mitsubishi, if they had the ability to produce SUVs at unlimited capacity in 2022, might have been the top selling SUV in 2022. Sales numbers in 2022 came down to vehicle availability- not desirability.
Yep, my grandparents bought a Rav4 hybrid last year. They bought one used, because there was no new inventory on the surrounding Toyota dealer lots.

If people had a choice of vehicles and not forced to buy only what is available it would be completely different. Also those GM buyers will turn to Toyota soon with all the problems they have, worse than normal post 2020.

Yeah, but if Toyota (and Honda, etc) can't seem to make vehicles it does make you wonder about their management.

Yeah, but if Toyota (and Honda, etc) can't seem to make vehicles it does make you wonder about their management.
Not really management, more their JIT manufacturing failed. Can't really turn around on a whim. They will be back in action soon. It's better than just building whatever and having them sit like other manufacturers do.

Back