GM Airbag Software Recall for MY14- GM vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomioka

$104 Site Donor 2024
Originally Posted By: Detroit News
One death has been linked to a massive recall announced Friday for General Motors Co. vehicles with faulty air-bag software.

GM said it is recalling 3.64 million 2014-17 model-year vehicles in the U.S. for a software issue that may prevent front air bags from deploying. The global recall includes nearly 4.3 million vehicles. The automaker said it is aware of one fatality and three injuries related to the safety defect.

The recall covers certain models of the 2014-2016 Buick LaCrosse, Chevrolet SS and Spark EV; 2014-17 Chevrolet Corvette, Trax, Caprice PPV and Silverado 1500; 2014-17 Buick Encore; 2014-17 GMC Sierra 1500; 2015-17 Chevrolet Tahoe, Suburban and Silverado HD; 2015-17 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL and Sierra HD; and 2015-17 Cadillac Escalade and Escalade ESV.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/general-motors/2016/09/09/air-bag-recall/90122858/

A software defect could prevent deployment of airbags and seatbelt pretensioners when involved in a crash. There is a single death involved with the defect although there were no details how the accident happened. Majority of 2014+ GM trucks and some cars are recalled and can be checked at GM's website if your VIN is affected.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up. My 2014 GMC pickup is included in the recall. I just had it at the dealer last week for another recall.

Originally Posted By: mrichards
What surprises me about this is that our seat belts are controlled by a computer, what is the world coming to!

I wanted to clarify this point. The seatbelts are still mechanical in basic function. This recall addresses the pre tensionsers. A few years back GM, and possibly other manufacturers, added pre tensionsers to the retractor mechanism of the seatbelt. What this does is cinches the seatbelt in the event of a crash. Much like ABS for your brakes, the ABS and pre tensionsers, are supplemental to base systems. So the seatbelts still function as they always have. The SIR portion is a supplemental addition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back