GM AF50-8 (Aisin 8 speed) - AW-1 appropriate fluid

Going to do a drain and fill on a AF50-8 in an '18 Regal Tour-X. The manual says to use AC Delco AW-1 fluid, however recent GM docs online say to use regular Dexron VI (see attached image). What is the best fluid for this application, is the AW-1 anything special, or can I use a run of the mill universal such as Maxlife / Dex VI?

Attachments

• aw1.jpg
    aw1.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 193
I assume it’s Toyota ATF-WS. GM’s probably banking on “approved” Dex-VI/Merc-LV to meet JASO M315-1A specs, especially since Afton is claiming the GM approved add pack for Dex-VI also meets Japanese specs. WS is a Japanese LV fluid, and the most common.

Castrol Transmax Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle, P66/Kendall VersaTrans LV and SuperTech are both examples of such - approved by GM and Ford, and meets JASO 1A specs, and of course there is MaxLife.

AW-1 is WS. I used Valvoline Maxlife in two Aisin boxes I had that specified AW-1 without any issues. I also used Maxlife in an Aisin box that specified TI-V, again with no issues.

Idemitsu TLS-LV is a good choice along with Aisin ATF-0WS as well. Aisin makes the transmission.

remember that if you have the Aisin 8 speed transmission that it is different than the issues plaguing the Hydromatic 8 speed transmissions (8L90 and 8L45) ...I don't know but your GM document may be for the Hydromatic transmissions and not for your Aisin 8 speed

Good luck,

Bill

remember that if you have the Aisin 8 speed transmission that it is different than the issues plaguing the Hydromatic 8 speed transmissions (8L90 and 8L45) ...I don't know but your GM document may be for the Hydromatic transmissions and not for your Aisin 8 speed

Good luck,

Bill
AW-1 was never specified for the in-house GM 8 speed transmissions, only the Aisin units to my knowledge. However the chart I pictured shows that Dex VI supersedes the AW-1 spec. I gather from GM's documentation that Dex VI fluid is interchangeable with AW-1, which is music to my ears.

glennda5id said:
Idemitsu TLS-LV is a good choice along with Aisin ATF-0WS as well. Aisin makes the transmission.

I found 4 quarts of Idemitsu TLS-LV in my oil stash that I bought for $2/qt at an AZ closeout last year. Anyone know how much a drain and fill on the GM / Aisin AF50-8 would take?

I have a couple jugs of Maxlife which meets Dex VI specs, seems like that would be fine also.

Back