Glass Roof Panels

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
Quite a few cars have glass inserts in the roof. I'm not talking about sun/moon roofs where there's a mechanism that slides a panel open, just a permanent glass panel. Is that glass panel heavier than the steel or aluminum roof material it replaces?

Quite a few cars have glass inserts in the roof. I'm not talking about sun/moon roofs where there's a mechanism that slides a panel open, just a permanent glass panel. Is that glass panel heavier than the steel or aluminum roof material it replaces?
Yes. Much heavier but people like that airy feeling. At least in some cases the glass has an auto-tint feature.

Teslas use a one-piece glass roof and windshield/backlight if you sprung for the option - it also is the only way to have a roof rack. It’s heavier but also the roof rails and A/C pillars need to be beefier.

The "panoramic roof" glass panel option was available on my Jaguar F Type for an additional $1850. I passed on it figuring that extra weight up high above the center of gravity wasn't a good idea plus being in Southern California I'd probably have the internal shade pulled closed most of the time. And then on the owners forum there were reports of the shade mechanism in the headliner malfunctioning about the time the warranty expired necessitating an expensive repair. No thanks.

I have a conventional sunroof on my Mazda CX 5 and the internal shade stays closed about 11 months out of the year. I only even open the sunroof on those crisp fall days when taking a leisurely cruise in the mountains, it's too noisy above about 35 MPH.

I recall a discussion with the highway patrol officer about this. He stated that the frame for the glass actually reinforces the roof structure to be stronger overall versus a standard roof. 🤷‍♂️

I recall a discussion with the highway patrol officer about this. He stated that the frame for the glass actually reinforces the roof structure to be stronger overall versus a standard roof. 🤷‍♂️

That would make sense because it’s not just the added weight but these roofs like to flex. When they first came out on cars there was a lot of reports of popping and other noises as they flexed in the frame. Some just failed.

Some of these pano roofs have light shows built it. Might be neat for children in the back to watch but I wonder about driver distraction as there is plenty of that already.

He was incorrect.

The rigidity of the roof itself comes from the bows running from side to side not the outer sheetmetal. The outer sheetmetal of the car (other than the outer pillars) is made from thinner and thinner and lighter and lighter materials for fuel mileage, they are nothing more than appearance pieces like plastic bumper covers to achieve a look to a car. The car structure beneath is the skeleton and the actual strength. The frame of a panoramic roof can not "stengthen" the overall roof since the panoramic roof removes.......roof.

Drop a panoramic and a non-panoramic on their roofs on flat pavement Saab style and neither will crumple more than the other, that test is for PILLAR strength. The purpose of the panoramic both static and sliding are they go edge to edge, this means their frame is built into the roof rails on top of the pillars, areas that are already the strongest parts of the car. Front and rear structures are strong, but are designed to crumple and absorb energy. the pillars and roof rails are designed to transfer energy around and through them to other parts of the car but never to crumple or bend significantly. This is for obvious reasons as there are several feet between the front bumper and the driver but there are mere inches from the roof panel to the driver's head.

Here is an example, the top model is the inner structure and the bottom model is the outer sheetmetal of the passenger cage.

UhhONK.jpg

8LyLnj.png

Now notice three things.

First, the roof rails on the panoramic, the moon/sunroof model, and the standard model are identical construction and material, some of the strongest alloy used in vehicle construction outside of some exotic GPa stuff.

Second, the moon/sunroof model rear frame across the front center of the roof is made of 980 MPa steel, the panoramic roof at this area has glass. Glass is not stronger than 980 MPa steel. And the "frame" of the sunroof is not even a rated steel because it does nothing except hold the glass panel for the sunroof, it bolts on with standard fastners.

Third, the standard roof model has a roof bow made out of 1180 MPa steel at that same point in addition to additional bows above the rear passengers. Again, the same location in the panoramic is just glass.

All things being equal if you roll your car, or have someone drop something heavy on it there is not a single case where you would be better off in a panoramic, and many cases where you are much, much worse off. Imagine rolling your car and having the center of the roof land on a stump, the pillar strength does nothing for you with a panoramic.

They are gorgeous though, I love mine. LOL

I chose a panoramic glass roof for my GLS and do not regret it. The curtain does a very good job keeping the sun out on hot days. It's quite a bit more airy feeling than a regular roof.

I like it.

Automakers love these from the perspective of low risk of atmospheric contaminant damage, excellent cosmetic / surface finish. I've been in many OEM plants that stamp their own large panels, the amount of hand sanding and grinding on roof sheet metal before the welding and subsequent phosphate dip is pretty surprising. Trunks and hoods same deal.

The rigidity of the roof itself comes from the bows running from side to side not the outer sheetmetal. The outer sheetmetal of the car (other than the outer pillars) is made from thinner and thinner and lighter and lighter materials for fuel mileage, they are nothing more than appearance pieces like plastic bumper covers to achieve a look to a car. The car structure beneath is the skeleton and the actual strength. The frame of a panoramic roof can not "stengthen" the overall roof since the panoramic roof removes.......roof.
Your comment is so misinformed and dangerous that I had to create an account.

The roof skin is a shear panel. It bolsters the side apertures. This fact is obvious to anyone who’s ever read a workshop manual and seen how strictly the replacement of a roof is outlined and how many different joining processes are used, sometimes on the same vehicle: adhesive here, urethane there, MIG brazing there, lots of STRSW, et cetera.

This is what a low-speed impact looks like on a Honda Fit after a shop panel-bonded the roof skin on during a hail repair instead of installing 108 welds. The owners nearly burned to death because of the ignorant assumption that “roof skins aren’t structural”. You can google Matthew and Marcia Seebachan to learn more.

Attachments

• EDD858E6-363F-4B99-B4EA-950F264B0EB3.jpeg
    EDD858E6-363F-4B99-B4EA-950F264B0EB3.jpeg
    428.2 KB · Views: 19
I have seen a highway speed roll over right in front of me - the vehicle starts rolling fast and travels a ways …
And, you don’t say - “nice day for a roll - let’s pick a clean spot”. So if it rolls and then leaves the road - you are probably already roofless with that large glass in hundreds of pieces - but frame intact …
Now keep rolling into some brush or rocks with each type - and I’ll take the metal skin …
We moved on from these roofs like we moved on from other things …

Details are still coming in, but there was an accident yesterday in San Diego where an SUV was T-boned by another vehicle causing it to roll over. From the news footage it unfortunately landed on a fire hydrant. And killed a young boy in a child seat behind the driver. It looked like the fire hydrant went through the roof and impacted the victim.

As I said, the details are still coming in but I am assuming the SUV had a glass roof. Would a steel roof had protected the occupants better ? I'm thinking yes. A freak accident for sure and a sad one.

Your comment is so misinformed and dangerous that I had to create an account.

Your comments are so fraught with fallacies and distractions almost not worth a single response other than to offer many clarifications to your ramblings.

The roof skin is a shear panel. It bolsters the side apertures. This fact is obvious to anyone who’s ever read a workshop manual and seen how strictly the replacement of a roof is outlined and how many different joining processes are used, sometimes on the same vehicle: adhesive here, urethane there, MIG brazing there, lots of STRSW, et cetera.

The first sentences is just incredible in it's misleading nature. The rest is a lot of technical jargon to impress those not in the business. There are a myriad of joining techniques for a pickup bedside panel across all the manufactures, very specific procedures with different welds, mixes of adhesives and welds, even rivets........is a bedside panel structural? It's a crumple zone and needs to behave properly but it's not a part of the vehicle structure. The material strength, composition, and placement is what makes a panel structure not the method of it's attachment. Never mind that I never said the roof is not a "structural" piece (the windshield is a "structural" piece afterall, I certainly wouldn't want to drive around in a glass car), I stated the structure of the roof bows and the pillars were where the real strength comes from. I would love to hear you explain how that is inaccurate with actual points addressing those facts and not going off on a tangent. The pillars and roof bows are made of extremely high strength metals and put together with overlapping and multiple layers with one thought in mind; do not bend or crumple. I would LOVE to hear how two layers of 1500 MPa strength steel stamped into rigid shapes are less important than a single piece of steel under 500 MPa strength in a sheet.

Nevermind that the topic was strength of a traditional roof skin versus a giant glass panel, not proper attachment methods (always what the OEM tells you, NEVER anything else for anyhting) for roof skins. Why don't you try welding a roof skin on with all the OEM techniques but without ANY roof bows. Push on the upper pillars from each side, it's going to pop and flex, it's certainly not going to keep you from being burned to death (appeal to emotion much?). Install the roof bows (also with proper OEM weld procedures) without the roof skin and do the same thing. The roof panel is a part of the passenger cage safety structure, it is not the structure of the passenger cage.

To try to bring it back to the actual topic based on your hysterical ramblings a panoramic roof is a death trap. If an improperly attached roof skin caused such a hazard, imagine if the car had a panoramic glass panel and it was OPEN. There would be no roof at all!!!!!:oops:

This is what a low-speed impact looks like on a Honda Fit after a shop panel-bonded the roof skin on during a hail repair instead of installing 108 welds. The owners nearly burned to death because of the ignorant assumption that “roof skins aren’t structural”. You can google Matthew and Marcia Seebachan to learn more.

LOW SPEED?!!??! They were on the freeway, and was a head on crash, not some 35mph impact on a side street hitting a parked car. And it was a Honda Fit that got hit by a pickup truck!!!! You leave so many details out and misrepresent facts to try to use emotion to prove your point.

And the very picture you post shows how factually incorrect your post is. The roof did not "collapse", it came loose from the adhesive on the front. Do you see how the pillars are still intact? How did the roof bending as the impact force transferred through it which caused it to come loose from the glue cause the fuel tank to explode? The passenger cage deformed jamming the door because a 6000lb truck hit the left front upper structure rails only on a 3300lb hatchback, taking the entire force of the impact on one side instead of spread across both. It had a 4 star crash test for offset impacts which was tested against other 3300lb hatchbacks hitting it, not Tundra pickups which completely bypassed the main front structure.

Here's some more facts,

“Well, unfortunately, we’re guided by insurance,” the shop’s director said in a deposition in the original lawsuit. “So…if you brought your car into my shop, the insurance company’s going to dictate…how we’re going to repair your car.”

The director was asked if the insurer can trump the OEM procedures.
“Yes, they can,” he responded. “By not paying the bill.”

The level of dishonesty and just plain disregard exhibited here shows this shop was a chop shop through and through. This is a shop with a chip on their shoulder and thought they could absolve themselves of their shoddy practices by "making a point" about the insurance companies and not own up to their failures. So much broke down here there is no way the culture at that shop was one of safe repairs. The estimator should have told the insurance company to pound sand if indeed they even made the request and told the customer. Once that failed the production manager of the shop should have stopped and told the estimator this wasn't right. Once that failed the tech performing the repairs (and there was more than one tech to install a roof skin) should have stopped and said hey this is not right.

The owner of the vehicle is the CUSTOMER and owner of the vehicle, they are the ones that decide what repairs get done. The insurance company is just an insurance company that offers to pay what they feel is right or warranted per the legally binding contract the owner purchases. Regardless you don't change proper repair procedures because someone, anyone, doesn't want to pay for it. Again if State Farm told them to glue it because it was cheaper (this makes no sense, glue isn't free even if they used windshield urethane which, good lord talk about a giant failure in shop attitude. Bonding adhesive and structural adhesives are not cheap by any standard. And you can itemize adhesives you use, you don't get to itemize welding supplies that's just cost of doing business. The only way this makes sense is if the shop didn't have the proper welding equipment and/or training which again is not an insurance issue, it's a shop issue making decisions based on that.) then you call the customer and tell them insurance won't pay for a proper repair, tell them how much extra it will cost them. They can pay it, argue with their insurance company, or tow their vehicle out of the shop because you won't do substandard repairs.

Either way there was almost certainly more going on in that botched repair than just gluing a roof skin. Most likely they cut the roof OFF improperly before they even got to attaching it improperly causing damage to the mounting points on the pillars and roof rail which then failed. Nevermind the Carfax had no info an a hail repair paid for by insurance, what OTHER crappy repairs were done to that thing before or after that one that never showed up on Carfax. And nothing in your hysterical attack post even remotely addresses or supports the topic of a glass panel roof being stronger than a traditional sheetmetal roof.

Last edited:
Details are still coming in, but there was an accident yesterday in San Diego where an SUV was T-boned by another vehicle causing it to roll over. From the news footage it unfortunately landed on a fire hydrant. And killed a young boy in a child seat behind the driver. It looked like the fire hydrant went through the roof and impacted the victim.

As I said, the details are still coming in but I am assuming the SUV had a glass roof. Would a steel roof had protected the occupants better ? I'm thinking yes. A freak accident for sure and a sad one.

A fire hydrant has a very small footprint and could easily end up landing on the roof (or the roof on it more specifically) at a spot where there were no roof bows. Even a roof bow would not stop such a thing. You are talking about a 5000lb plus vehicle basically resting on no more than a foot square of elevated SOLID steel. That is in no way a normal tested condition for rollover safety. Would a steel roof have protected them better? Certainly possible, a lot of what ifs and no way to say he would have lived for sure.......but the chance would be better for sure as the metal would still have bent and stretched and absorbed some of the force at least. If it was glass, it would have just shattered and not slowed the vehicle coming down around the hydrant in any statistical way.

That's actually a perfect example of exactly what I mentioned before with the tree stump, a fire hydrant is a much better and more likely scenario wish I would have thought of that. LOL

If it’s this one - maybe the hydrant came through a side window

C8264408-A2A0-465E-884E-86EBA38FBBDB.jpg

A fire hydrant has a very small footprint and could easily end up landing on the roof (or the roof on it more specifically) at a spot where there were no roof bows. Even a roof bow would not stop such a thing. You are talking about a 5000lb plus vehicle basically resting on no more than a foot square of elevated SOLID steel. That is in no way a normal tested condition for rollover safety. Would a steel roof have protected them better? Certainly possible, a lot of what ifs and no way to say he would have lived for sure.......but the chance would be better for sure as the metal would still have bent and stretched and absorbed some of the force at least. If it was glass, it would have just shattered and not slowed the vehicle coming down around the hydrant in any statistical way.

That's actually a perfect example of exactly what I mentioned before with the tree stump, a fire hydrant is a much better and more likely scenario wish I would have thought of that. LOL
Yeah, I would always chose an aluminum can for an "egg drop" competition, over a glass jar, even though the glass jar is probably 100 times stronger. Mild steel is a pretty decent material for absorbing energy, and some level of intrusion protection. Not perfect but far better than glass.

Back