Glad I removed my Purolator L14610

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know anyone with an exhaust cutter, or a large pipe cutter? You can open it by carefully popping a hole in it near the base with a chisel or screwdriver and a hammer, then continue to open it using tin snips.

I don't know what that is, but I'd be really interested to see the inside of the filter.

Originally Posted By: GreenFocus
So you are saying that came through the drain plug hole?
This looks like piece of paper towel that was left in the catch drain pan, then got soaked in used oil.
Where in usa are you located, maybe a follow member can help you cut open your p1.
Are you willing and able to ship it to someone to open it for you and post pics?
Possibly, if it doesn't cost too much to send it.

So you are saying that came through the drain plug hole?
This looks like piece of paper towel that was left in the catch drain pan, then got soaked in used oil.

I second this.. has to be..

Originally Posted By: cookiemonster
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Too big to make it through the oil galleries, nor through the drain plug hole. Unless you took the oil pan off...
No ... I didn't take the oil pan off. I just did a regular oil change.

Why couldn't it go through the drain plug hole? It's quite thin and flimsy ... maybe 3-4 inches in length.

To fit through the plug hole it would have to be very crumbled, that is not how it looks in the pics

Originally Posted By: actionstan
To me.. it looks like a paper towel soaked in oil. It looks transparent whatever it is.. oil filter media is not transparent when soaked in oil, so its definitely NOT filter media.
Good point. Doesn't feel like paper towel though.

Originally Posted By: cookiemonster
Originally Posted By: tony1679
Uh, I'm not saying you are lying, but that doesn't look like that came from the filter. Without pics of the filter cut open, it's just spreading rumor.
49.gif

I'm not spreading any rumors. All I said was that that with the oil
smile.gif
I never said that was from the Purolator itself
wink.gif

So why are you glad that you removed this filter?
Because otherwise I wouldn't have gotten whatever that was out as early as I did.

Originally Posted By: sicko
Do you know anyone with an exhaust cutter, or a large pipe cutter? You can open it by carefully popping a hole in it near the base with a chisel or screwdriver and a hammer, then continue to open it using tin snips.

I don't know what that is, but I'd be really interested to see the inside of the filter.
I might be able to try this.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
PROBABLY CAME FROM THE ENGINE AND NOT THE FILTER.

Yep, any engine work done lately where something could have been left inside the engine by a forgetful mechanic?

And this is how rumors and "the sky is falling" stories propagate. While I'm sure there are Purolator tears out there, I don't think that came out of your filter or your crankcase.
Until you get some facts, the Purolator name should have been left out of the title of your post.
First you put PUROLATOR in the title and then you claim it never came out of the Purolator filter. Very poor ethics.

What part of the paper engine did it come from?

What part of the paper engine did it come from?

He sheared off part of the papershaft imminent failure is expected... (ha-ha)

this post is just a bunch of trolling

probably a banned member coming back to "poop"-stirrer.

Trolling.gif
Trolling.gif
Trolling.gif
Trolling.gif
Trolling.gif
Trolling.gif

Did you actually see it come through the drain hole? I would say it is something that was stuck to the outside of the oil pan and fell into the drain pan.

Nope, never been on this site before.

To naysayers, if anything, I credit the (concerns surrounding the) Purolator for motivating me to change my oil as soon as I did, and getting that out.

Not once did I blame the Purolator for it. If anyone read this "between the lines", this is the product of your own imagination.
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: 77GrandPrix
Did you actually see it come through the drain hole? I would say it is something that was stuck to the outside of the oil pan and fell into the drain pan.
It's possible - I did not actually witness it from the drain hole, but nothing was visibly stuck to the outside of the oil pan when I was removing the plug.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Yep, any engine work done lately where something could have been left inside the engine by a forgetful mechanic?
No engine work at all since I bought it new.

I bet this is a paper wrapper for a cookie.
Any cookie crumbles as well?

BTW, the purolator filters can be easily opened with any can opener. When I tried to do it on a Fram, the can opener broke. Time to switch to Fram.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
... First you put PUROLATOR in the title and then you claim it never came out of the Purolator filter. Very poor ethics.

+1000. Talk about trolling. And "ethics", that's a laugher. What ethics? Sadly I'm seeing more examples of this on this board recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back