GL-4/GL-5 gear oils a compromise?

What do you think of Ultra Lub 75w90 GL4? At only $6/qt it's the cheapest GL4 75w90 available anywhere.

Maybe you can find another Link to the specifications or oil properties but here are the specs for the 75W90 I could find:

Ultrachem said:
Typical Industrial Applications: Heavy Duty Manual Transmissions Axles Final Drives Industrial Gear Drives, i.e. Hypoid, Worm Gears
Easily meets the requirements of ArvinMeritor O-76Q, DANA SHAES, 256 Rev C, Navistar, SAE J2360, GL5, Mack GO-J, MT-1

Any HD transmission Lubricant that will meet the SAE MT1 specification is a GL-5 gear lube with EP additives, not an MTF for light truck or passenger vehicle transmissions.

Apparently UltraChem is now owned by FUCH's.

Maybe you can find another Link to the specifications or oil properties but here are the specs for the 75W90 I could find:

Any HD transmission Lubricant that will meet the SAE MT1 specification is a GL-5 gear lube with EP additives, not an MTF for light truck or passenger vehicle transmissions.

Apparently UltraChem is now owned by FUCH's.

Different company. The one that makes the oil I posted seems to be this outfit from Venezuela, a division of this Ultra Group. They might be connected to Citgo.

Unfortunately, there is no information about it on their site or on Amazon, nor can I find a picture of the back of the bottle. I ordered a bottle, and I will take a picture of the back of the bottle and post what it says on it.

Different company. The one that makes the oil I posted seems to be this outfit from Venezuela, a division of this Ultra Group. They might be connected to Citgo.

Unfortunately, there is no information about it on their site or on Amazon, nor can I find a picture of the back of the bottle. I ordered a bottle, and I will take a picture of the back of the bottle and post what it says on it.

I see ok, different company entirely. Did you purchase this locally or was it an Amazon thingy?

If you could get a VOA we could see if it qualifies as meeting MTF standards.

Last edited:
I see ok, different company entirely. Did you purchase this locally or was it an Amazon thingy?

If you could get a VOA we could see if it qualifies as meeting MTF standards.

I ordered it on Amazon. It seems to be sold directly by UltraLub. I should get it in a week or two (marketplace seller, not Amazon, and oil must ship ground)

Can I use the regular Wix/Napa oil analysis kit 4077/24077 (the one for motor oil)? Which VOA kit would be the right one?

I ordered it on Amazon. It seems to be sold directly by UltraLub. I should get it in a week or two (marketplace seller, not Amazon, and oil must ship ground)

Can I use the regular Wix/Napa oil analysis kit 4077/24077 (the one for motor oil)? Which VOA kit would be the right one?

Any kit should suffice but a kit that gives the most results would be even better.

I used Blackstone Labs when I had the VOA of Delvac 50 done.

Same cost as motor oil, but different paper to fill out...

Actually, 80W-90 and 85W-90 are single grade SAE 90 oils (not multigrade). The 85W-90 is the top part of the range, and the 80W-90 is the bottom part. So by saying it is SAE 90, it will be either, you just don't know without a spec sheet.

Back