GL-4 , GL-5 synthetic gear oil : REDLINE MT-90 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
( a GL-4 ), AMSOIL MTG ( a GL-4 ) , or AMSOIL Severe Gear ( a non-corrosive GL-5 ) . Which do you use in your manual tranny that calls for either a GL-4 or 5 in a 75w-90 ? Why ? THANKS

Last edited:
I haven't tried the Amsoil, but here my opinion on what I have used:
Redline 75W-90 NS : Not that great for tranny, shifting feel mechanical but downshift/upshift is good due faster synchro engagement. However it seems this oil doesn't last, the shifting feel inconsistent after 15k.

Mobil 1 SHC 75W90 (GL4/5 rated): Too slippery when it is new, so downshift to first gear a bit slow. Shifting is consistent and getting better with more mileage (after 5k).

Redline MT-90: Good shift but reliability still questionable.

RL 75W90NS in Outback manual trans fantastic, 75W90 in diff. MTL in BMW big improvement but watyering it down with some MTL. Amsoil MTF would probably have been a better choice imo.

Originally Posted By: smokey1
( a GL-4 ), AMSOIL MTG ( a GL-4 ) , or AMSOIL Severe Gear ( a non-corrosive GL-5 ) . Which do you use in your manual tranny that calls for either a GL-4 or 5 in a 75w-90 ? Why ? THANKS

In a manual tranny with a GL-4 or GL-5 option, the first choice is of course viscosity matching to the tranny, your feel, preferences, climate and eventually the mfr requirement. After viscosity choice in GL-4 or GL-5, you want to steer clear of stout purely differential fluids with their very specific EP, AW and FM additives. This usually narrows it down to GL-4. I'm not saying some GL-5's won't work great in some MT's. They do, but IMHO, I would steer toward a GL-4. MTG.

What vehicle?

Redline MT90 in my Toyota tranny. Tried SVG first. Bad, bad choice. Tried MTG next. MUCH better, just not quite what I wanted. MT90 since and other than a third gear grind when cold, it's nice.

amsoil mtg in my corolla tranny. Like wantin150, when cold there is a third gear grind, notchiness, but did it on the ff and the coastal gear oil. Any other time it is silky smooth

After trying just about everything under the sun as far as gear lubes go I will now only use Redline gear lube from here on. They consistently give me the best combination of protetion and shift quality. In my car MTL and MT90 mixed 50/50 gives insane performance. If I end up moveing to Florida I am sure MT90 alone would get the job done in my application. While I like Amsoils engine oils and Universal ATF I have not been impressed by their gear lubes in the past. I have not tried their latest greatest Sever Gear Oil though in all fairness to their excellent product line.

Out of all the gear oils (GL4) I tried in the past,dino GL4`s worked the best for me. Nissan MTF 75W85 and Sta Lube 85W90 gave me the best lasting shifting quality. MT90 made it very stiff/notchy. I`ve definitely had the best luck with dino gear oils.

I run Redline in my Ford Fusion's transaxle: 2 qts MT90 and 1 qt MTL - it shifts great in all temps. I love the stuff and would be very hesitant to try another brand of lube because of the excellent results I've had in the past with Redline trans fluids.

I have MT-90 in the transmission of my MazdaSpeed 6 and like it so far. I put MTL in the wife's 1970 MGB and have only taken it around the block. It usually calls for 20W-50 oil, but I wanted to give the Red Line a try.

Since the RL 75W90NS is not corrosive and allow synchronizers work quicker because it doesn't contain friction modifiers. Will it be a better choice than a GL4 oil such as MT90 as it is not corrosive & offer better protection?

Hard to say since almost no one has done that. Redlines MTL/MT90 blend has almost legendary cult statis since it works greatin old Toyota MR2's,Land Rovers,Corvettes etc....... It normaly does the job great when everything else fails so a lot ofpeople just try it right off the bat and never try anything else. I know I am going back to it preety soon. It is just a very consistent performer in a lot of applications. I do not know anyone that has ever had wear issues with it in a transmission either. I have not had any wear metal on my drain plug or in the fluid that can be seen with the naked eye since I did a 10,000 mile break-in fluid change when the car was new. The stuff is just that good.

I must chime in that I also use the Redline MTL/MT90 mix, and it is wonderful for shifting. I've tried a bunch of fluids in my life, too!
I was going to try Amsoil MTF, but that might not happen for a while, now.

Not being even close to an expert on this topic, I've read what experts have said and Pablo is 100% consistent with what they've said.

Using a GL5 lubricant in a tranny not spec'd for it can destroy the synchros. The EP additives are hard on the soft metals that synchros are made from is what they've clamined.

john, you might want to give Motorcraft Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid a try. it has tamed several of the Aisin 6spds in the miata group, and also seems to have good results in the corvette.

Part # XTM5QS. it is expensive, german, GL-4, has Friction Modifiers to aid the synchronizers, has ford's lifetime fill rating, and can be had at any ford dealership...

I used SVG in my Taco. Toy spec either gl-4 or 5.

Only reason I did this was that I have only one type of gear oil. I have not noticed any problems with SVG in the Taco.

Car is a 2008 Toyota Yaris. Also, is the SVG-GL-5 a non-corrosive gear oil for safe use in the Yaris? Last, can you do a blend of 1 quart of MTG (GL-4) and 1 quart of SVG (GL-5) for the Yaris? The owners manual calls for either GL-4 or GL-5 in a 75W-90.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back