GL-4 , GL-5 synthetic gear oil : REDLINE MT-90 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: smokey1
Car is a 2008 Toyota Yaris. Also, is the SVG-GL-5 a non-corrosive gear oil for safe use in the Yaris? Last, can you do a blend of 1 quart of MTG (GL-4) and 1 quart of SVG (GL-5) for the Yaris? The owners manual calls for either GL-4 or GL-5 in a 75W-90.

Thanks

SVG is safe with all alloys used in the Yaris gearbox. Although not officially recommended, and no guarantees, you can blend the two.

I have a '97 V-6 Camry with the semi-rare manual transmission option. I've used Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube, followed by Red Line MT-90. The Red Line eliminated the negative qualities of the Mobil 1 (shifting notchiness and transmission whine), so I'm happy enough with RL that I haven't tried Amsoil MTG yet. I live in a mixed climate (Oklahoma City), so I can't speak for Northern climates.

Stick with the MTG if you want to use an Amsoil product. IMHO, stay away from the SVG for that gearbox. GL4, GL4, GL4, GL4. Just because you "can" use a GL5, doesn't mean you "should". My .02.

I agree with mechtech2, the best choices are Amsoil MTG and Red Line MT-90 (or the MT-90/MTL mix for notchy shifts or cold climates).

Originally Posted By: Sportster2000
Since the RL 75W90NS is not corrosive and allow synchronizers work quicker because it doesn't contain friction modifiers. Will it be a better choice than a GL4 oil such as MT90 as it is not corrosive & offer better protection?

For street driving, I prefer MT90 because the FM will give smoother and more effortless shift feel.

For race, people may not care about the shift feel, so 75w90NS may give better protection.

Personally, I dont find I can shift quicker with 75W90NS compared with MT90.

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
Redlines MTL/MT90 blend has almHardost legendary cult statis since it works greatin ,Land Rovers,

In my experience, Castrol's Syntrans (75W-85, GL4) works better in Land Rover R380 gearboxes than any combination of RL fluids I've tried, as does Torco RTF (which is getting too high a viscosity, but suits higher ambients).
I was pretty non-plussed with RL MT90 and MTL in the couple of applications I used it in, including Nissan Patrols, where I've gone back to Castrol Syntrax. (75W-90, GL-4/5)
Both these Castrol fluids are PAO/ester bases, made in Germany.

Syntrans is a brilliant fluid, designed around ZF/Mercedes and Volvo commercial/truck 'boxes in Europe.
Unfortunately Castrol is a pain as they re-name fluids in different markets, so what Syntrans is in the US, if at all.....

I've been "researching" available GL-4's.
Do you guys know if these part numbers are correct?
Or know of another source for TAF-X?
Castrol...
SMX-S ------ 75W85 GL-4
Syntorq LT - 75W85 GL-4 - GM p/n 12346190, Dodge p/n 4874459
TAF-X ------ 75W90 GL-4 - Lotus p/n A082F6552S
Syntrax ---- 75W90 GL-4/5
Hypoy ------ 80W90 GL-4?

I have Amsoil MTG in my 96 Corolla tranny. I have had it in now for 50,000 miles with good results - smooth shifting. I'll probably stick with the MTG on the next drain, but I have also had good results with Redline in my older Pathfinders.

Last edited:
I like it but it is almost too smooth. I guess these old transmissions aren't straignt into gear (like the Ferrari box), so you could feel your way to each gear but now you just guess and go.

My best experience so far is with a mix of Amsoil MTF and MTG.

I have used Castrol SMX-S, Redline MTL, MT90 and SF MTL-P.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back