GL-4 75w for MT

I’m looking for trans fluid that meets the spec, GL-4 and 75w. The only 75w I can find is a GL-5. GL-4 I find ranges like 75w-90 but not just 75w.
Is there a list of oils that I can search for?

also, if I can’t find just 75w gL-4, is 75w-90 ok (redline)?

AC Delco has 75/85 GL 4 MTF.

D9FDBC69-8DE0-4A9D-B2E1-28308AD95D16.jpeg

Last edited:
What vehicle and transmission?

You need a 75WWhat? The upper number frames the viscosity you're looking for.

75W by itself doesn't mean anything.

What vehicle and transmission?

You need a 75WWhat? The upper number frames the viscosity you're looking for.

75W by itself doesn't mean anything.

He probably meant RL MT-LV 70W/75W GL-4

Be careful here. Listen to Mola... lot's of options around the 75wXX range. Redline seems to be a popular option. I replaced my MTF in my Mazda with RL 75w80 GL4 and so far seems just fine.

Punching that Make/Model/Year into Redline website comes up with 75w80 MTL (same as my Mazda)...
1615217536712.png

Notice the second to last bullet point.

Toyota switched to an LV 75w on some of their manuals a decade+ ago. It didn't have a suffix because SAE was lazy and too slow to create the 75w70 or 75w75 grades.... and 75w80 for many were considered too thick for best MPG.

The Toyota fluid is not a 75w-anything.

Either use the Toyota LV 75w, or the Redline MT-LV

Obviously, if you are in an exceptionally hot climate, or added a turbo/super charger, or bored/stroked a monster motor, you can most likely step up to MTF/MTL/synchromesh 8-11cst if needed

What’s the difference between MT-LV and MTL from redline? They both say they satisfy the 75w viscosity.

Im going to presume MT-LV is the better option?

(In all my searching I could not find the Toyota fluid otherwise I would have just used it) do you know where I could get this?

also, how bad are the effects of using a 75w-90 like for an emergency? And it’s a couple thousand miles before replacing it properly.

What’s the difference between MT-LV and MTL from redline? They both say they satisfy the 75w viscosity.

Im going to presume MT-LV is the better option?

(In all my searching I could not find the Toyota fluid otherwise I would have just used it) do you know where I could get this?

also, how bad are the effects of using a 75w-90 like for an emergency? And it’s a couple thousand miles before replacing it properly.
The MTL-LV has a lower Kinematic viscosity (is thinner) at 6.5 cSt@100C,

whereas the MTL has a higher kinematic viscosity (is thicker) at 10.5 cSt@100C.

Engineers concern themselves with the Kinetic viscosities at high temperatures (100C) when it comes to minimum oil films in gearing and bearings.

Engineers concern themselves with the Kinetic viscosities at low temperatures (40C) when it comes to shiftability.

Unfortunately, gear oil manufacturers have to label and classify their lubes according to the confusing SAE gear oil Grades

https://bobistheoilguy.com/viscosity-charts/

which may have a wide range of Kinematic viscosities.

If your vehicle has a transmission manf. within the last 9 years or so, it most likely requires an LV MTF such as

MT-LV 70W/75W GL-4 GEAR OIL, which has a Kinematic viscosity of 6.5 cSt@100C.

All of the MTF viscosities (SAE Grades) from this company contain pretty much the same Anti-wear/Friction modification chemistry.

Last edited:
Hi @MolaKule
Great read and info HERE by You as always.

Last night I was reading Esters In Synthetic Lubricants by T. G. Schaefer.
He writes about widely used type of ester called adipate diester and in combination with PAO is used in gear and transmission oils.

What is the difference between above and LXE (liquid wax ester) that is used in Lubegard Gear Fluid Supplement which they claim has several benefits if used as additive in MT fluids?

I'll be doing my first trans. fluid change in my Golf in a week or two at 50K miles (did I wait too long?) and putting in RL MT-LV which RL recommends for car make I have.

I am still debating if I should mix 4oz of Lubegard Gear Fluid Supplement with 2QT of RL MT-LV.
I have the trans. fluid already but not the Lubegard supplement.
Am I going to improve on something which is already very good or just forget about it?

Thanks.

Hi @MolaKule
Great read and info HERE by You as always.

Last night I was reading Esters In Synthetic Lubricants by T. G. Schaefer.
He writes about widely used type of ester called adipate diester and in combination with PAO is used in gear and transmission oils.

What is the difference between above and LXE (liquid wax ester) that is used in Lubegard Gear Fluid Supplement which they claim has several benefits if used as additive in MT fluids?

I'll be doing my first trans. fluid change in my Golf in a week or two at 50K miles (did I wait too long?) and putting in RL MT-LV which RL recommends for car make I have.

I am still debating if I should mix 4oz of Lubegard Gear Fluid Supplement with 2QT of RL MT-LV.
I have the trans. fluid already but not the Lubegard supplement.
Am I going to improve on something which is already very good or just forget about it?

Thanks.
Nothing is going to be improved as the RL MT-LV is all you need.

ILI's LXE ester is an ester of the Rapeseed plant in which the rapeseed's plant oil is extracted, and then reacted with selected alcohols in the presence of a catalyst, usually potassium hydroxide or similar catalyst. A prepared alcohol-KOH mixture is injected into the rapeseed oil, and a transesterification reaction occurs to produce the rapeseed ester.

This process results in the transesterification of the oil's triglycerides to mono-esters of the component fatty acids.

In my view it has, as its better application, the softening and dispersion of varnish in ATF.

Mola said:
Esters occur naturally in many plant and animal species. However, unprocessed plant and animal oils also contain other products that tend to increase oxidation and lead to degradation, and therefore are not suitable for lubricants in their unmodified states.

Many plant and animal oils are processed such that after pressing and or chemical extraction, the acids are separated from the other products. The resulting acids are then reacted with selected alcohols to produce an ester with characteristics and qualities far superior to unmodified plant and animal oils.

Ester starting materials are also made from chemicals derived from petroleum refining processes.

Last edited:
Back