Giving up on Ford - too many problems, need suggestions

Originally Posted by tig1
I have not had that experience with my Ford Fusions. The 2018 has 85K and the only repair needed was the timing chain re-sealed at 59K. Nothing else so far.

you sound like most VW owners: "I've only replaced 4 window regulators so far and a few coil packs in the last 40K--it's been great!"

That's a pretty significant defect on a 2 year old car, and while the mileage is high I'd have to assume a lot of hwy miles. Just sayin'.

It's a bummer to hear about the OP's experience, because my 2006 Freestyle is still the most reliable car I've ever owned. I'm still hoping it will die but it will just not stop.

Originally Posted by MParr
The Hyundai Palisade is very similar to the KIA Telluride.
https://m.hyundaiusa.com/palisade/

Both of these are having transaxle vibration issues at hwy speed that Hyundai (owns Kia) doesn't know how to fix. I would steer clear of these for now.

Subaru Accent? But has a CVT. We bought a 2019 Highlander in Oct and wife loves it.

FURD has been TRASH for decades now !!! Remember all the cruise control fires, transmission failures and class action lawsuits back in the 90's/00's Would NOT trust a new one at all !!

Only one I trust are the crown vics and they have their issues. Like the notorious plastic intake crack issues $$$

Chrysler is IMO 2nd with trash cars like the HEMI's camshaft issue

Dave

Last ford I had that wasn't a POS was a '79 Fiesta made in Spain. Loved that car. The next ford I bought was fix or repair daily until I abandoned it a Clark AFB. Toyota with one Honda thrown in sence and never looked back. I'm sure they occasional make a good car but not for my money.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Originally Posted by drtyler
Toyota Highlander
VW Atlas

The new Kia Telluride looks pretty nice, I might consider that too.

Don't count out a 4Runner. Although aged, reliability and longevity are top notch.

I have one ( 4Runner)sitting in the hotel parking lot right now I rented for three days to see if any of the absolute horrible things wrong with this vehicle has changed-they haven't. HOLLOW sounding doors whenever shut, hood flexes going down the road, seats are still hard. Large rear hatch difficulty to open and close manually ( no power assist here-at least on the SR5 model. Just say no unless you need 4 Wheel Drive on a dirt snowy road. I can't fathom why these things are other wise recommended.

Last edited:
The VW Atlas has gotten atrocious initial quality reviews, and I don't condone the purchase of any German vehicle (yes, I'm biased because I work on them). I hadn't heard the Telluride/Pallisade issue's yet, but it wouldn't surprise me as it's a relatively new platform. There is the new Genesis GV80, which looks STUNNING and is based on RWD architecture vs. the FWD base of the Tell/Pall. However, it won't be on sale until spring 2021, if reports are to be believed.

If you're in the market now, I still say the Jeep GC Hemi or Durango (if you need the space) Hemi are the way to go. Yes, it's an ANCIENT platform. Yes, they're missing some of the braaaaand new bells and whistles of the newer designs, however they're proven and reliable. Again, I'm a bit biased: the early models do have issues with TIPM's failing, and FCA just released a second recall to fix the fuel pump relay that was "fixed" with a previous relay, however all of these issues can be fixed by most shadetree mechanics with a laptop, youtube, and hand tools. Try and do that with a brand new vehicle.

OP, if you were shopping a new Explorer ST why don't you look at a CPO Durango or GC SRT? You'll save a boat load over MSRP, have a full warranty, and not have any of the turbo, intercooled, complicated, this that and the third nonsense that you would get with the ST. Plus, behind that mighty Hemi is a proven ZF gearbox that simple doesn't fail. Sounds like a win to me!

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by JLTD
Originally Posted by drtyler
Toyota Highlander
VW Atlas

The new Kia Telluride looks pretty nice, I might consider that too.

Don't count out a 4Runner. Although aged, reliability and longevity are top notch.

I have one ( 4Runner)sitting in the hotel parking lot right now I rented for three days to see if any of the absolute horrible things wrong with this vehicle has changed-they haven't. HOLLOW sounding doors whenever shut, hood flexes going down the road, seats are still hard. Large rear hatch difficulty to open and close manually ( no power assist here-at least on the SR5 model. Just say no unless you need 4 Wheel Drive on a dirt snowy road. I can't fathom why these things are other wise recommended.

But does it have Michelins, and did you park it next to a Crown Vic?

That would be the trifecta...

crackmeup2.gif

When it comes to the domestics I am admittedly a GM guy. So I'd naturally opt for a Traverse over a Explorer, BUT with GM's long standing issues with the 3.6 I think I'd honestly steer clear of Chevy on this one as well. In this SUV class I honestly believe the stress level would be lowest with Toyota/Lexus offerings.

Originally Posted by faltic
Last ford I had that wasn't a POS was a '79 Fiesta made in Spain. Loved that car. The next ford I bought was fix or repair daily until I abandoned it a Clark AFB. Toyota with one Honda thrown in sence and never looked back. I'm sure they occasional make a good car but not for my money.

My '78 Fiesta was junk. Everything that could break off broke off (door handles, window cranks, heater controls, even the radio knobs). The front brake pads went out very early taking the rotors with them (repaired under warranty in retrospect). And it didn't ride, it jittered. At least the engine and transmission were fine for the 2 years I owned it. And it did get terrific mileage. But all in all it was a very disappointing car.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
The VW Atlas has gotten atrocious initial quality reviews, and I don't condone the purchase of any German vehicle (yes, I'm biased because I work on them). I hadn't heard the Telluride/Pallisade issue's yet, but it wouldn't surprise me as it's a relatively new platform. There is the new Genesis GV80, which looks STUNNING and is based on RWD architecture vs. the FWD base of the Tell/Pall. However, it won't be on sale until spring 2021, if reports are to be believed.

If you're in the market now, I still say the Jeep GC Hemi or Durango (if you need the space) Hemi are the way to go. Yes, it's an ANCIENT platform. Yes, they're missing some of the braaaaand new bells and whistles of the newer designs, however they're proven and reliable. Again, I'm a bit biased: the early models do have issues with TIPM's failing, and FCA just released a second recall to fix the fuel pump relay that was "fixed" with a previous relay, however all of these issues can be fixed by most shadetree mechanics with a laptop, youtube, and hand tools. Try and do that with a brand new vehicle.

OP, if you were shopping a new Explorer ST why don't you look at a CPO Durango or GC SRT? You'll save a boat load over MSRP, have a full warranty, and not have any of the turbo, intercooled, complicated, this that and the third nonsense that you would get with the ST. Plus, behind that mighty Hemi is a proven ZF gearbox that simple doesn't fail. Sounds like a win to me!

You still have the sub-par Chrysler materials, though. Bushings that are rotten by 50K miles, etc. The HEMI and ZF are good, but the rest of the vehicle can rot around that wonderful engine and transmission. Chrysler goes cheap on the little things, so they can do things like UConnect and HEMI and so on and keep the price down. Was just sitting in traffic behind a newer Wrangler the other day, looking at the oil-leak smeared rear diff. Some things just never change.

Originally Posted by sopususer
When it comes to the domestics I am admittedly a GM guy. So I'd naturally opt for a Traverse over a Explorer, BUT with GM's long standing issues with the 3.6 I think I'd honestly steer clear of Chevy on this one as well. In this SUV class I honestly believe the stress level would be lowest with Toyota/Lexus offerings.

Highlander/RX350/LX460. Pretty drama free compared to anything else.

Originally Posted by JOD
Originally Posted by tig1
I have not had that experience with my Ford Fusions. The 2018 has 85K and the only repair needed was the timing chain re-sealed at 59K. Nothing else so far.

you sound like most VW owners: "I've only replaced 4 window regulators so far and a few coil packs in the last 40K--it's been great!"

That's a pretty significant defect on a 2 year old car, and while the mileage is high I'd have to assume a lot of hwy miles. Just sayin'.

It's a bummer to hear about the OP's experience, because my 2006 Freestyle is still the most reliable car I've ever owned. I'm still hoping it will die but it will just not stop.

Agreed. I certainly wouldn't brag about only needing a repair like that.

I vote Telluride as well.

I'm not fond of the domestics these days. 10 years of expansion and a newcomer (Tesla) is going their lunch. It's reminiscent of how Toyota and Honda stole the show after the crap domestics we're building in the 80s and early 90s.

The story of the 21st century is the Koreans and Tesla building quality (Koreans) and innovating (Tesla). The domestics are failing to innovate and keep pace once again.

Get one of those boring Toyotas.
They just keep running and running and running. And hold their value.

If the budget will allow, a boring RX450h is about as good as it gets.
Or have some real fun and order one of those AWD Model Ys...

Good luck.

The ford cars and crossovers are no good. Thats why they quit making them!!! take note!!! Even the Ford Explorer is crap.

Toyota and lexus GAS ENGINES for cars and crossovers; and midsize pickups suvs (tacoma; 4 runner lexus variance etc)
Ford F150 and larger trucks; they're actually better than toyota's fullsize truck offerings. Thats why they still make them.

Originally Posted by DONWATERS
I would go with Hyundai or Kia, Ford has been pushing junk, especially the Exploders, since 1996 till new. Toyota is taking advantage of their rep some also, Not fond of any other domestics made since 2006 either.

I like the look of the telluride also, sharp!

I've had 3 ford explorers all from the 90's, still have 2 of them. been some of the most durable and reliable vehicles I've had.

Back