Giant rims and maintenance considerations

IMG_3977.JPG
View attachment 91129View attachment 91130
FB_IMG_1639103084157.jpg
FB_IMG_1435533111256.jpg~2.jpg

Last edited:
Once you goobered up your suspension, with blocks, and other cheap fixes, to fit those wheels, no amount of maintenance will prevent the inevitable, early failures of hubs, bearings, bushings, and other suspension components.

You want the look?

You will have to pay more for it.

Thanks i will look into replacing hubs and bearings with high strength versions. Already changing every bushing I can reach to poly as i go.

If you live in NYC/Chicago/Detroit/Baltimore/Oakland/SF/LA/Seattle your wheels are tires are asking for annihilation via pothole or roadwork. My dad hit a pothole or curb on the stock 20s on an RX F Sport, he’s looking at a rim repair per America’s Tire - I saw them struggle to seat a bead and they delivered the bad news. They told me a wheel was bent enough to cause vibration. Still holding air.

Ironically enough, (non-gentrified but will soon)Oakland is home to the scraper - an old Buick or Olds with 22s and spring spacers. Almost like the donks down in the South and the slabs in Houston. But I see so many of those need to swerve around potholes and speed bumps.

No problems with potholes and the 22". 35zr on 22s has about twice the sidewall of 20s. Also got that truflate truseal gunk all in them.

Its mad max walking dead out here, if i were that dumb i'd be eaten already.

Nice article on transmission digest, but it says to swap to higher gears. Sounds like it will restore the original acceleration, but work things even harder for worse reliability.

As for the heat in the trans and bands and clutches, i think my full synthetic tranny fluid has it handled.

33438840012_large.jpg
33743810004_large.jpg
30457890005_large.jpg

I'm a bit jealous. Those Mustangs have more ground clearance than my wife's Honda Pilot, almost looks like more than my father-in-laws Jeep Renegade Trailhawk or my old Sequoia.

I’m pretty sure this is a troll/humor post but if not, post up a pic of this Matchbox-looking, covered wagon-riding Mustang of yours.

IMG_20220216_160001.jpg

Ofc its lowered about 1.5" now with the coilovers and looks a lot meaner.

Yes, Sequoiasoon, it is really convenient to be able to get under the car with no jack. Suspension, diff, oil, atf chages a breeze.

Im prepping the wheels for paint now. Going with a red primer and pontiac blue sparkle engine enamel over it.

Back