Giant rims and maintenance considerations

Women are going to be a dime a dozen one you have it set up like that. i'd think to the future and invest accordingly.

This viral video from 15 years ago had me put 5x100 jeep snowflake 16 inchers on my corolla. Got my first taste of riding high and working my way up ever since.

I am limited to the wheel sizes available cheap used locally, just like my cars. I'll probably keep numerically with the decades and get into >30 inchers around 2030.

looks totally dickered

81349.gif
:LOL:

I found spring spacers that will give 1-2" suspension lift for $6. I will put them on this weekend to get clearance for bigger wheels in the future.

Attachments

• 417SHY6RRBL._AC_SY1000_.jpg
    417SHY6RRBL._AC_SY1000_.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 7
I take it you're not an engineer. Bigger wheels are for looks only. There's tons of engineering reasons why they're bad. That's why you get cracked rims and flat tires all the time the bigger you go with the rim. Ride comfort also suffers.
My Porsche has factory 20” forged rims. My Escalade has factory 22” wheels. The reason they are so large is partially to clear huge brakes. They aren’t for looks only. The Caddy is the quietest, best riding auto I’ve ever had. The Porsche is the fastest. I’ve never had cracked wheels or flats.

Attachments

• 27DBEF13-0A1F-4597-AF44-F9D0DF850B69.jpeg
    27DBEF13-0A1F-4597-AF44-F9D0DF850B69.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 27
My Porsche has factory 20” forged rims. My Escalade has factory 22” wheels. The reason they are so large is partially to clear huge brakes. They aren’t for looks only. The Caddy is the quietest, best riding auto I’ve ever had. The Porsche is the fastest. I’ve never had cracked wheels or flats.
Consider yourself lucky. Part of that depends where you live and what the roads are like. The roads are awful here. We got potholes with snow and rain that are bone jarring and will knock your alignment off once you hit them. Not to mention pop your tires and crack / bend your rims.

I'd never want a 20 inch plus size rim on any vehicle. Even on the Elantra with OEM 17's rims with 45 tires are perfect size for a small car like this, on the optima SXL they were 18's and they looked and rode great, the Sonata has 16's with a thick sidewall, and they also ride great. Maybe on a truck or massive SUV, 20's or above might be okay, but i'd hate all that additional rotational mass, and the harder ride - and i like firm plus the price of 20's and above! I'd say my limit would be 18's depending on vehicle. In upstate NY with salt, snow, and huge pot holes, and ruff roads your 20's+ with no sidewall tires will be bent in a week flat during the winter..

My adjustable coilover shocks and struts will be here in a few days I plan to roll the fenders and drop the body as low as I can with the 22s. Thanks for the suggestion, Wolf359

10500376_571899002930198_1050121129732661472_n.jpg

Too much focus on the rim diameter and not on overall diameter and side wall height. A 275-50 will have the same sidewall height regardless of the wheel diameter, in this case 5.4" 275-50/16 & 275-50/24 will be the same sidewall height. Anything >= 5" is good.

I had two 2021 Silverado's, one with 275/50-22's the other 265/60/20. Both setups were the exact same overall diameter. The 20 inchers had right at one inch more sidewall. As far as ride quality no difference. The 22's we a tad more better handling when corning at higher speeds.

Too much focus on the rim diameter and not on overall diameter and side wall height. A 275-50 will have the same sidewall height regardless of the wheel diameter, in this case 5.4" 275-50/16 & 275-50/24 will be the same sidewall height. Anything >= 5" is good.
OP mentioned using size 265/35 tire with these 22" rims, so that would make sidewall height about 3.65".

My stock tire size is 215/65r16 and the new ones are 265/35zr22. They provide considerably more booty meat for potholes than my front wheels at 245/35zr20

In my tuner I have to adjust the speedo using tire diamater and I set it to 29.5".
Tech support told me to average between the 2 sizes when running different size wheels on each axle. Looking up the diamater on tiresize.com now I'm getting totally different numbers.
It reads a little high but close enough for me.

Never heard that 5 inches limit before, sounds reasonable to me.

I am getting in the low to mid 20 mpg in mixed driving, which is fantastic for this car. It does not launch like it used to, but I do not plan on increasing the gear ratio. It will always be a pathetic race car and superchargers cost more than I have in the whole project.

Giant rims may be even more important than led lights if you want your car to be mistaken for something younger. I decided on 22" rims to replace the stock 16", so now it actually looks like a car from the future.

Some online experts state giant rims will break your car, citing increased rotational mass making your engine and tranny work harder while stressing suspension components.

I have an ecu tuner to correct the speedometer, do double the recommended fluid changes with good stuff. Is there anything else to recommend? I am thinking I should replace suspension components with aftermarket upgrades.
Bigger wheels=less tire to absorb road shock. You can break a wheel, suspension components, and create rattles, etc ,etc ,etc.

I am trying to change out my rear springs by disconnecting the shock and sway bar and then jacking it up.

At the top position of my floor jack the springs are not removable easily, I think because my axle is lifted a few inches from stock.

I remember in the 70's, small cars had 13" rims, mid-size were 14" and full size cars used 15". Now even my little Versa has 15's. And used tire places don't even have many of those to choose from.
I like my 14" on compact and 15" on mid size. 16 is ideal for most wagons and SUVs IMO. They probably go big because the cars got fat, not because they need them big enough to clear the calipers.

Back