Getting Ready for the Road

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
This morning I took the Camry down to Lyle's shop to put her up on the lift and do a thorough undercarriage inspection. I've known Lyle since 1984 and he's done the brake and suspension work on my cars for all these years. I haven't done a thorough inspection of this sort since July of last year although we did take a quick look at the condition of the pads and rotors shortly after I returned from the HPL meeting last year.

Today we checked those same items, checked all the suspension components, bearings and bushings, checked for leaks, rust, damaged lines and hoses, and made sure there were no loose bolts and fasteners. We checked the tires for even wear and damage, too.

There were no issues. Everything was dry and tight, with no leaks or seeping, rust was conspicuous by its absence. I noticed that the alignment numbers written on the fender liners were still clear and legible.

So, with all that, I feel comfortable taking the old girl on the road this summer. Early next month I'll do an oil change and probably swap out the PCV valve. All the belts are fairly new and in perfect condition. When I do the oil change and PCV valve replacement, I'll check the coolant hoses as well, which were not checked today. I'm pretty sure they're fine, but it won't hurt to be sure and to make sure all their clamps are secure and in good condition as well. Since I have some fresh, premixed Toyota coolant in my stash I may just drain and refill the radiator, just to freshen up the coolant and make some space on my shelf.

I like knowing everything is as it should be. I don't like to travel with any concerns about the condition of my vehicle.

Do you ever see any rust?
Rust was conspicuous by its absence. Just a skosh on some bolt heads, and there is some on the steel wheels. I'm deciding on how I want to handle that.

Rust was conspicuous by its absence. Just a skosh on some bolt heads, and there is some on the steel wheels. I'm deciding on how I want to handle that.
I had mine blasted and powder coated. I like the look of a steel wheel where it was original equipment. A quick pass with a wire brush on the more severe bolt heads and a shot of fluid film will totally stop the rest.

750c41b9-9441-4445-a2d6-d485ce4c91cb-jpeg.123281

I had mine blasted and powder coated. I like the look of a steel wheel where it was original equipment. A quick pass with a wire brush on the more severe bolt heads and a shot of fluid film will totally stop the rest.

750c41b9-9441-4445-a2d6-d485ce4c91cb-jpeg.123281
I like the silver/grey. Hadn't thought of that color. I think it'll go well with my white car.

Back