Getting mixed advice about trans temps

I just had the Ford C6 transmission rebuilt in my 27ft Class C motorhome. (E350, 6.9L diesel, Dana 70 4.10 rear end, towing a 4x8 enclosed trailer).

It's a situation where a friend helped pull it, we took it to a shop where it was rebuilt, and then we put it back in. It got a new torque converter and all. I pulled off the factory transmission cooler that was probably rated roughly 11k-12k vehicle weight and put on a new one rated 29k, complete with custom brackets (1/8" flat bar) so it's not riding against the A/C condenser with the crappy plastic mounts. We simply bypassed the radiator's trans cooler since it's still contaminated from the dying transmission. The owner of the trans shop insists that I don't need the radiator cooler due to the big aftermarket cooler. Plus he rattled off excuses why he didn't want to use his flusher to clean the radiator's trans cooler (the RV is big so that it would block everything in the shop from leaving, he's too busy, it might ruin the radiator)

Some folks online say otherwise, that the radiator does a lot of the cooling work because it's more efficient, specially in stop and go & mountain grade situations.

The cooler I got: https://www.haydenauto.com/en/ecatalog?partdetail=779

I put a B&M temp gauge on the hot line (output from the trans to the cooler) and it often reads 220 when city driving or on curvy back highways where there's slow downs for curves, meaning lots of speed ups and slow downs. That seems fine and dandy for the hot side. However, I have seen it climb somewhere in the ballpark of 280-300 due to stop and go on a back highway with one lane road construction plus on an uphill. I couldn't just stop or pull over to let it cool down. The gauge maxes out at 350 and thankfully it never got THAT far.... yet.

The fluid hasn't gotten dark any, but then again it hasn't even been 200 miles so far.

I will be taking it back to the shop in a couple weeks because they like to look at it again within 30 days/500 miles (or warranty is void), but due to the situation, it'll be more like 350-375 miles. Whatever, it's the best I can do. Shop owner said that was fine.

After they do whatever it is they wanna do, I plan to drain the cheap aftermarket pan that likes to seep from the drain bolt no matter what I do (I am watching the fluid level closely), remove the pan, and put on a new B&M aluminum deep pan that has a built in bung for a temp sensor, and I'll be installing a second temp gauge (Auto Meter 2640, 250*F max).

Once that's done, I might have a better idea of what the trans temps are, since I'll be able to see both the pan temp and the uncooled ATF coming out of the trans before the cooler.

Thing is too, I don't live around here. I'm a full time RVer, far from anywhere I could consider home or where I can find a cheap RV park, so if the trans does end up having problems, I'll be a long ways off and I dunno what good the warranty would be anyway. That's why I'm investing so much in extras (the big cooler, two gauges, a deep pan) so I can try to avoid overheating it at all costs. $500 in extras costs less than a week in a pet friendly motel, since I live in the motorhome and have a big dog, if it has to physically go in a shop that's where we'd have to go. Not to mention repairs/another rebuild.

Odds are, heat is what ended up killing it before... or at least was a major contributor. But admittedly, it was 37 years old with 81,479 miles when it got pulled out.

I have spoken to someone at a trans shop in another town, so they have no stake in the situation at all, and he too said the big cooler is fine, that I don't need to worry about having the radiator's cooler flushed and having it tied into the trans cooler circuit. I can't seem to find anyone who either has the flushing machine or who will touch a motorhome, despite the fact that it's a van chassis and the radiator cooler is very easy to reach.

Thoughts?

I always used the radiator cooler in line first to cool the trans fluid, then the accessory cooler. Works better that way.

The problem i see with only the air to fluid cooler, is if you are stuck in slow or non moving traffic with little airflow, sure the fans run, but it will run hotter than it would with the radiator as the initial cooler.

My ZF transmission runs a air cooler only with a fan and only ever gets to 180 F. It was much hotter than that when it ran it through the radiator as well. Put the biggest trans cooler on it with a fan and it will be fine. Just remember to add more fluid for the cooler and service trans regularly.

I always used the radiator cooler in line first to cool the trans fluid, then the accessory cooler. Works better that way.

The problem i see with only the air to fluid cooler, is if you are stuck in slow or non moving traffic with little airflow, sure the fans run, but it will run hotter than it would with the radiator as the initial cooler.

What's frustrating is I can't even find a transmission shop that's willing or able to flush the radiator cooler. I want it done, but no one can/will do it!

What about just getting a new radiator? Then the liquid trans cooler can be hooked back up

That's why:

1654225160037.png

The diesel ones are nearly impossible to get, for van fitment. The pickup ones can be had, but the mounting bracket is slightly different. It would require some kind of fabrication to adapt it, assuming of course that the core will fit in the space on vans. Plus new aluminum ones aren't as good at cooling as the original brass/copper ones.

and ok to be fair.. this is an option but it's almost $700 with shipping. still a lot more expensive than flushing this one.

1654225388828.jpg

Have you searched for local radiator repair shops? Perhaps @clinebarger might have advice.

Other people with these IDI radiators say it costs about $1200 to have a quality recore done on one. I'd do better to try to make a truck one fit.

$235 for this 3 row F-series one: https://www.amazon.com/F-150-F-250-Aluminum-Racing-Radiator/dp/B00SXBFQRK

I'm about ready to just get two cans of Kooler Kleen ($17/can) and blow out the cooler before and after with air, and be done with it. There isn't much to the cooler, I don't think, but it supposedly makes a difference since the antifreeze absorbs some of the heat and carries it away, regardless of speed at which you're driving. Stop and go, frequent braking and accelerating at low speeds (30-45 on curvy back roads) and slow hills are what drive it up was it is right now. All stuff that makes the air only cooler do less well.

What's frustrating is I can't even find a transmission shop that's willing or able to flush the radiator cooler. I want it done, but no one can/will do it!
Take it to a radiator shop. They can flush it,can't ever be 100% positive that it's all out though. If you have air,solvent and some sort and a way to blow through the cooler you can flush it yourself.

Btw my f250 with a 6.9 is a gutless turd. I can't imagine one in a motorhome!

Take it to a radiator shop. They can flush it,can't ever be 100% positive that it's all out though. If you have air,solvent and some sort and a way to blow through the cooler you can flush it yourself.

Well, the deep pan I'll be installing has a better pickup filter than the C6's wire mesh screen, plus it comes with a magnetic drain plug.

The filter: https://www.holley.com/products/drivetrain/internal_components/parts/10288

Plus, I was wanting to add a spin on oil filter, but finding a place to mount the filter head is a challenge, so it hasn't been done yet.

Magnafine makes an in line transmission filter , you could use that on the line out of the radiator after flushing it.

Yeah that has been suggested before, even before the shop got crappy about not wanting to flush the rad cooler.

So, I just ordered one, getting sent to the friend's house where we pulled and installed the trans, since I'll be going back later this month. The deep pan and second gauge are going there too.

You have the whole underside of it to mount it. Just need some extra hose.

Yes and no. The exhaust pipe runs right along the frame on the RH side, so the entire RH frame rail is a no-no. I'd have to run it over to the LH side and back. I'd be looking at 15ft of hose round trip, if not more.

I add transmission coolers to all my trucks, but I get the ones with their own fan on them. It runs via thermostat and I have an on/off switch if I want it to come on manually. I too would want it to go through the radiator, but with the fan on the cooler, you shouldn't need to until you could get it done.

I add transmission coolers to all my trucks, but I get the ones with their own fan on them. It runs via thermostat and I have an on/off switch if I want it to come on manually. I too would want it to go through the radiator, but with the fan on the cooler, you shouldn't need to until you could get it done.

There's no room for a fan with the 1-1/2" thick cooler I put. Unless I were to mount it outside of the grill. :ROFLMAO:

Back