German Castrol Syntec 0w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patman, thanks for the report. How much did it cost to have the pour point and freeze point tests done? Also, how did you arrange it with the lab? The kits were prepaid--no?

I think the pour point and freeze point is going to cost me an extra $20 or so. With my lab, they have a special webpage which allows you to view the status of your sample, and shows the tests to be done and the ones completed. It also allows you to update it with other tests if you wish, so in this case I clicked on pour point and freeze point, although I'm still awaiting the pour point data.

So even though the kits were prepaid, I can still add more stuff. They've already asked me to pay for the upgrades, but I told them I need the data first before I authorize them to charge my credit card. I don't understand why they gave me the freeze point but no pour point yet.
confused.gif

These tests demonstrate why I like GC so much. I find it coquettish, yet demeure; bold yet understated; confident but not flippant; and of course, it has a...ahem...stirling character!
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
These tests demonstrate why I like GC so much. I find it coquettish, yet demeure; bold yet understated; confident but not flippant; and of course, it has a...ahem...stirling character!
grin.gif

I believe Delo (as well as Delvac and Long-Life) shares those traits with GC ...
cheers.gif

Yikes, it sure seems like this oil is slightly messed up right from the get go!

I'm still waiting for my pour point data, they are really starting to tick me off!
mad.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Yikes, it sure seems like this oil is slightly messed up right from the get go!

Pat,

That could be the case or it could be that the lab, which you have admitted is not putting on its best performance, messed up, or there could be something about this oil's chemistry that we don't know. I admit, the silver's presence is odd; in fact, except for the iron, the presence of multiple wear metals is odd...it seems to me like the sample somehow got contaminated and given the type "contamination" we see, it seems it happened at the lab. (The other VOAs I looked at don't look like this.)

[ September 25, 2003, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

....or it could be that Patman's lab, which I believe is WearCheck actually does a better job of identifying particles in the oil!?!?! Maybe Blackstone and the others don't have as sophisticated (or is sophistimacated) a lab as Wearchek, thus giving us a slighty more "superficial" report.
Just a thought.
Rick

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:
....or it could be that Patman's lab, which I believe is WearCheck actually does a better job of identifying particles in the oil!?!?! Maybe Blackstone and the others don't have as sophisticated (or is sophistimacated) a lab as Wearchek, thus giving us a slighty more "superficial" report.
Just a thought.
Rick

Rick,

Excellent point! What concerns me, if it is correct, is what does that say about the validity of the UOAs and assumptions made from them...if they are just "kinda accurate?" The level of analysis conducted by members of this board is way deeper than can be supported by a "kinda accurate" report.

[ September 25, 2003, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

I personally think Wearcheck's instruments are very accurate, which is why they can report a lot of the wear metals in such small increments like 0.2ppm.

I just don't believe their freeze point data here to be true, in fact it's impossible for a 0w30 oil to be frozen at -39C, considering it has to pass the cold cranking test at -30C.

[ September 25, 2003, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

...and Castrol claims right on the bottle unaided starts to -40ºF/-40ºC

[ September 25, 2003, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Actually, for the latest SAE J300 0w classification, the cold cranking test is conducted at -35C and the cold pumping at -40C.

quote:

I personally think Wearcheck's instruments are very accurate, which is why they can report a lot of the wear metals in such small increments like 0.2ppm.

---***--

I think they may have the most up to date.
I think they are accurate too. There have been many times where I have had freaky things go on with the oil and they picked it up. I had one Mechanic Spike my sample (without my awares) and I freaked out til he explained what he did.

All I know, is there is a company that I trust very well that did a lot of BLIND samples of many labs across the country. Some of these samples were Virgin, Some were Spiked at the company lab and tested there and resent to these labs across the country, and some they had people like me send them several samples from my oil drains and compared a lot of data, and WearCheck was the set of lab (chain of labs???) they went with.

by Patman,
quote:

I have no idea what the TAN number means, is that one good or bad?

Pat, TAN means Total Acid Number and it's the amount of acids and the like already in the oil....I believe this is the stuff the TBN is supposed to fight. Your sample seems really high. The following is what Molakule said about another product's (Valvoline Engine Protector) virgin sample

quote:

The TBN is nice but the TAN starts out a bit high. I would prefer to see it at 0.5 or lower.

BTW, the TAN was .9 on the Valvoline stuff.
Rick

I recently ordered some kits from WearCheck. I spoke with the director of sales and asked, "I notice that you give ppm in tenth's on your reports. You can't really really tell ppm that accurately can you?"

"No. No." He confessed,"The spectrographic instrument isn't that accurate. Our customers just like their reports that way."

grin.gif
grin.gif
At least he was honest.

I got an email from the vice president of Wearcheck Canada today, explaining the pour point/freeze point issue in my sample, and thought I'd share it with you guys:

quote:

The confusion over freeze point and pour point is a little more complex and there are a number of issues.

a. Customers are able to add any test to a sample on Webcheck, whether these tests are relevant to the sample or not. The lab can only conduct a pour point and a cloud point on lubrication oils. The freeze point test conducted in the lab is applicable to coolant samples only. Although there are a few ASTM methods for freezing point determinations but these are for aviation fuels and high purity hydrocarbons and none are applicable to lubricating oils for obvious reasons.

b. The lab reported a result of -39°C for pour point however this was incorrectly displayed as a "freeze point" when the data was viewed via Webcheck. The result of -39°C was however correctly reported as a pour point in the diagnostic comments on the sample report. This has obviously contributed to the customer's confusion and dissatisfaction. This problem has now been rectified and the correct field label has been linked to the pour point result when lab data is viewed via Webcheck.

c. The lab instrument used to determine pour point is currently limited to -39°C (actually the unit will achieve -42°C, however, Pour Point is reported as the final temperature + 3°C). The actual result, therefore is < -39°C. As we only store absolute numbers in the LIMS there is not way to report ‘

So this oil definitely does not freeze at -39, nor is it's pour point -39, it's much less.

quote:

So this oil definitely does not freeze at -39, nor is it's pour point -39, it's much less.

Pat, You meant "less" as in "lower" than -39ºC, right?

[ September 26, 2003, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

pscholte is all over the GC. He finds them faster then anyone. Kind of how I am with Mobil 1!
grin.gif
cheers.gif

Buster,

(As you read this think of John Wayne saying it)

Ya gotta be dilligent...and ya gotta be quick...Pilgrim.
grin.gif
cheers.gif

[ September 26, 2003, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back