BARIUM 0 / 0
SUS Vis @ 210°F 67.5 / 62.1
cSt Vis @ 100°C 12.3 / 10.8
Flashpoint °F 410 / 405
Fuel % 0.5 / 0.5
Antifreeze % 0 / 0
Water % 0 / 0
Insolubles % 0.2 / 0.4

Here are the results from my second oil analysis using Blackstone labs. My goal is to find the oil that will protect my Ls2 engine the best for the way I drive it. For the last fill I gave German Castrol 0w30 a try... The Previous fill and all other fills were Mobil 1 5w30... I expected to see a little bit better results from the German Castrol compared to the Mobil 1. The Castrol was on sale so I purchased enough for 2 fill's. I will probably add Granitize MOS to the Castrol for the next fill and after that I am thinking about giving Pennzoil Platinum a try. Any suggestions would be much appreciated! I drive my Goat very hard... it see's redline daily on freeway merges... It gets a mix of in town and freeway miles (about 50 freeway miles each weekday). I do not baby this car other than proper maintenance and giving it a warm up before driving away. I am using the stock paper air filter and K&N oil filters.

Larry

I'd continue to use M1. I don't see any advantage of using a thicker oil in this case. Both reports look good. Aluminum is the only metal that stands out on both reports. I'd also maybe try Amsoil.

I recently blew up my LS2 on the dyno squeezing too much boost out of a procharger, 625 at the wheels was way to much for the stock block, however...

In my 2006 GTO I tried many oils before I found that Redline 5w-20 returned excellent numbers. Better than all the rest. I tried them all, RP, Castrol, Amsoil, PP, M1, etc etc

I got stunning results in this engine using 7 quarts of 5w-20 with a slight overfill, Redline. Of the over the counter oils, PP 5w-30 did okay, the rest just were awful.

Originally Posted By: johnbottilaw
I got stunning results in this engine using 7 quarts of 5w-20 with a slight overfill, Redline. Of the over the counter oils, PP 5w-30 did okay, the rest just were awful.

Please define stunning and awful.

Flash looks good ..I'm not happy with the silicon for such a short OCI. You're using an OEM spec'd air filter ..so I'd check the seal and the rest of the plumbing. That's where most aluminum comes from in most cases.

Originally Posted By: flyboy4947
a bit touchy Pablo, you mean someone didn't like Amsoil?

Heck, I don't know, but stunning and awful are pretty strong words....

Stunning I apply to long legged Asian females.

Awful I apply to some really badly burnt camp stew.

I was just wondering about some more details and little objective evidence, not doubting the comments.

Dave,

I made a mistake on the oil filter info... A k&n was used in my Dodge not the Goat... For this fill on the Goat I used a Purolator pure one oil filter. Does it seem like there is a oil flow rate issue to you? Perhaps that's why the German Castrol did not do as well as I expected it would? I did not see any flow rate info on Purolator's web site but they do claim to have top rated micronic filtration.. perhaps this is effecting the flow rate in a negative way?

Larry

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: flyboy4947
a bit touchy Pablo, you mean someone didn't like Amsoil?

Heck, I don't know, but stunning and awful are pretty strong words....

Stunning I apply to long legged Asian females.

Awful I apply to some really badly burnt camp stew.

I was just wondering about some more details and little objective evidence, not doubting the comments.

Objective evidence? Proof that a bad UOA was the oil's fault? Since when is this needed to blame an oil for poor results of one UOA?

Gary,

Reguarding the silicon... A virgin analysis of German Castrol shows Silicon at 4. Does this make my Silicon results closer to what you had in mind for this engine?

Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back