Generator Fire! Replacement?

JHZR2

Staff member
Was never even slightly uncontained...

Was working on my new garages, just got a meter socket and weather head, so no mains power yet... have been running my Robin Subaru R1700i for lights, some use of my 10A sawzall, small air compressor. Today I was running just. A light bulb and the sawzall. Smelled some hot plastic, went out and saw the inverter side glowing brightly through the side panels. Was running fine. The sides aren’t melted, all looks as it ever did, but there was some melting of a harness. I suspect that the SCR or diodes inside failed.

The genset had maybe 25 hours on it. Our power is so good around here (knocking on wood), I dont think we’ve had more than three hours of power off in 15+ years!

The engine starts perfect, runs great, but I’m not going to do so again. Doubt it’s cost effective to replace the inverter boards. Stinks.

I love my Honda 1000W unit. But that’s too small for the tools I need to run.

Considering the Honda 2800W and the 2200W models. They’re more than enough for any loads I have in an emergent situation, as I’m a believer in hydronic heat and managing loads. I don’t need a generator for running ACs and light and WiFi at the same time.

That said, the 2800W unit seems loud by more modern design standards. And it seems all the Honda units are made overseas anyway. I’m thinking the HF Predator 3500 might be the better option. I don’t really care about the electric start, but I like that it reads V, VA, and hours. I don’t know that I’ll ever need 3000W, but it seems like it may be the better overall bet.

Or, something else. Recommendations?

im doing work on my garage, and need it for the long weeekend... so local pickup quick is key. Any recommendations?

Local small engine guy just bought a Predator Inverter for his 5th wheel. Said he’s worked on a few and they’re solid units.

Was never even slightly uncontained...

Was working on my new garages, just got a meter socket and weather head, so no mains power yet... have been running my Robin Subaru R1700i for lights, some use of my 10A sawzall, small air compressor. Today I was running just. A light bulb and the sawzall. Smelled some hot plastic, went out and saw the inverter side glowing brightly through the side panels. Was running fine. The sides aren’t melted, all looks as it ever did, but there was some melting of a harness. I suspect that the SCR or diodes inside failed.

The genset had maybe 25 hours on it. Our power is so good around here (knocking on wood), I dont think we’ve had more than three hours of power off in 15+ years!

The engine starts perfect, runs great, but I’m not going to do so again. Doubt it’s cost effective to replace the inverter boards. Stinks.

I love my Honda 1000W unit. But that’s too small for the tools I need to run.

Considering the Honda 2800W and the 2200W models. They’re more than enough for any loads I have in an emergent situation, as I’m a believer in hydronic heat and managing loads. I don’t need a generator for running ACs and light and WiFi at the same time.

That said, the 2800W unit seems loud by more modern design standards. And it seems all the Honda units are made overseas anyway. I’m thinking the HF Predator 3500 might be the better option. I don’t really care about the electric start, but I like that it reads V, VA, and hours. I don’t know that I’ll ever need 3000W, but it seems like it may be the better overall bet.

Or, something else. Recommendations?

im doing work on my garage, and need it for the long weeekend... so local pickup quick is key. Any recommendations?

The Predator is on sale at least that what they had in an ad they sent out. I think that would be a good option.

The Predator is on sale at least that what they had in an ad they sent out. I think that would be a good option.

Imsaw it was on sale for $769 from $799. According to the HF coupon database it goes lower... what did you see it listed at?

I’d definitely look at the HF if not going Honda and the Honda I’d be looking at in comparison is the EU3000.

Imsaw it was on sale for $769 from $799. According to the HF coupon database it goes lower... what did you see it listed at?

I have seen it at $699 at times. Right now, Northern Tool has the same generator as the predator 3500 for $799, as the powerhorse brand. They currently have a rebate gift card of $100 if you spend over $500. ( have to use it by the end of oct-2020). But still its more you can purchase for your $799.

I have not compared warranties, so thats worth doing.

I’d definitely look at the HF if not going Honda and the Honda I’d be looking at in comparison is the EU3000.

im not interested in the EU3000. I don’t want to spend that money, as I have no need for that much power. Beyond running a sawzall, nothing else would have a motor load. After I get real 120v in my new garages, I won’t have a need for the generator beyond emergency power in an outage from a storm. My boiler has solid state control and pulls much less than 15A for all the circulatory, and my refrigerator is inverter that takes about 10A max, but I think the highest load is from the defroster elements, so just a resistive load.

the fact that the predator is 3500w is interesting but not critical. I’d prefer lighter and smaller. But it seems like the 3500 is the best value option.

Yes I know there’s the predator 2000... just like I can go get a (Made in Thailand) Honda 2200.

But I like the digital readout on the 3500... and it will run bigger loads, If I desire. I wouldn’t pay $2000 for a Honda 3000 though, in any scenario.

Last edited:
I have seen it at $699 at times. Right now, Northern Tool has the same generator as the predator 3500 for $799, as the powerhorse brand. They currently have a rebate gift card of $100 if you spend over $500. ( have to use it by the end of oct-2020). But still its more you can purchase for your $799.

I have not compared warranties, so thats worth doing.

Great lead, but I’m not driving to Fredericksburg, VA, which is the closest to me. I do appreciate the heads up!

You do realize it burned up to high load. I understand believing in a minimalist however you need to apply minimalist loads and sawzall is not that. Invertors are generally not great for tools.

I would buy a tool specific generator with higher output. Or get an inverter only hooked to running car battery and idle the vehicle

Rent? It sounds like you don't need long term.

Buy bigger than you need and sell when done? Accept the loss in value as part of the cost of finishing the job at hand.

You do realize it burned up to high load. I understand believing in a minimalist however you need to apply minimalist loads and sawzall is not that. Invertors are generally not great for tools.

I would buy a tool specific generator with higher output. Or get an inverter only hooked to running car battery and idle the vehicle

I was wondering about that. The original genset was a 12 amp unit, the sawzall is a 10 amp. But there may be startup draw greater than 10amps, even without a capcitor type motor, the sawzall may briefly pull more than 10 amps to get up to speed, or may draw more under heavy load.

A non invertor may be better for startup loads and non electronic uses, but i think the op wants small and portable.

High load?!?

The outlet explicitly says 11.3A and the sawzall is 10A.

I get it that starting current is higher. The generator is rated for 1700W at startup. I start the sawzall unloaded. I also have verified voltage drop at the terminals; generator typically puts out 125V unloaded, and 118v under load.

Funny that you mention that inverters are bad for this, then say to get an inverter and put my $100 battery (or two if I linked to my diesel), and $200 alternator... if it’s just going to bust that inverter?

Another Honda EU1000i and a parallel cable set?

Only drawback is the carburetor is pretty small, has fine passages.
I've had to take mine apart to clean.

Try and find a used US or Japanese made one on FB Marketplace or Craigslist? We have an ancient Makita that we use at the cottage, it's 2200W and will run the air compressor and tools no problem. We use it to run the compressor in the fall to blow out the plumbing to winterize it in the event that it doesn't get used during the season.

Try and find a used US or Japanese made one on FB Marketplace or Craigslist? We have an ancient Makita that we use at the cottage, it's 2200W and will run the air compressor and tools no problem. We use it to run the compressor in the fall to blow out the plumbing to winterize it in the event that it doesn't get used during the season.

I almost pulled the trigger on a 3kW diesel from a surplus place, for $995. But it’s much heavier. In the end, I want this thing to be in ready standby in my garage, so I’ll never need to use it... like the Robin.

So I went and picked up the Predator. Less money than the Honda that is also made overseas. This thing is more or less as quiet in its break in idling, as my Honda 1000W, even with eco mode off.

This thing was packaged nicely, and includes a tool kit, funnel, and 12v battery cable.

85215104-6248-4169-8B10-4DE12F38E145.jpeg

Oil access is easy, and drain setup is decent (goes out of a little trough at the bottom, with a rubber plug). HF has a coupon for free STP small engine oil with purchase. So that 10w-30 is in there now

676C3B30-32F0-4050-A0FB-83DF5D635F92.jpeg

C8230C7F-D96E-4C60-87F1-6439BD972516.jpeg

While it’s heavier and a bit higher rated than I need, one of the biggest draws was the V, VA and hour meter on it.
1E4CA63D-E148-4A1C-BC0D-47D153364555.jpeg

8A1B3C6D-2F25-4544-9A14-32C0CA45203A.jpeg

Breaking in for a little bit with no load, and will avoid more than 50% ish for the first 25-30 hours. After today, maybe 5 hours of use, I’ll change the oil, then once again at 25-30. Will move to Delo 15w-30.

It sure is quiet. I know there’s a million videos about noise measurements and whatnot. I’m not going to do a side by side, but overall I’d say this:

it is quieter than my 1000W Honda, but it makes more of its noise at lower frequencies that travel further more efficiently. I feel like I can hear that barely audible noise further away, but it’s barely audible, especially with eco throttle on.

Ran my sawzall like a champ. In a few days I’ll run my Makita nail gun compressor off of it. Shouldnt be an issue. It’s not even a 15A motor, maybe 12?

Electric start is nifty and handy too!

Good to know its quiet, that was a concern of mine.

2 suggestions i'll make. Change the torch spark plug for an iridium. I put a NGK 6637 Iridium IX Spark Plug - BPR6EIX in mine.

Also a magnetic dipstick plug. Especially during breakin. I have one in my predator 4375 and my powerhorse pressure washer.
The one i have is out of stock, this one is close.

Thread with my mag dipstick.

Last edited:
Back