old honda generator, new refrigerator

Status
Not open for further replies.
the old generator puts out "dirtier" power-- the refrigerator has a touch panel on the door- is there any way to clean up the old honda generator output - or do I need to buy an inverter generator

How dirty??

Have you actually put an oscilloscope on it?

Some old direct drives made very clean power (the 1800 RPM Onan generators)

I do not believe a generator that is putting out the proper voltage and Hz will harm any modern appliance. The output may not be a pure sine wave, probably a chop wave. Still I do not think it will damage any modern appliance. That being said, I would not run "nice to have" appliances like a washer or dryer if I was not on street power. I do not even run my well pump unless I really need water. I can go many hours without water and most power outages are not more than a few hours. (Hurricane would be the exception).

Originally Posted by edwardh1
-- the refrigerator has a touch panel on the door -

I'll bet you $20 that the circuitry has it's very own solid state power supply (switching style)

that can take any ACV from 85v all the way to 260v (have you looked at the new "wall warts" lately?)
that converts what ever AC imaginable into decently useable DCV.

I grew up in Alexandria Egypt and our TV and fridge was plugged into a box between outlet and appliance. It clicked like crazy when electric tram went by and also randomly.

Can't you get one of those to handle what you term dirty power?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back