Gen 2 dexos

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what I'm wondering it seems all the licenses are due to expire at the end of the week

Originally Posted By: NHRATA
Based on what they are saying in those write ups, do you think there will be a push towards sodium add packs?

Why not a shift towards Magnesium add packs which Mobil 1 and Castrol have used for many years. Yesterday's oil article on DI vehicles suggested that magnesium was a beneficial component. Sodium was not mentioned. Either will allow the calcium to be reduced.

There's a Phillips 66 Shield oil that is Dexos 1 next gen compliant. I'm sure the ACDelco Full Syn is just a repackaged Mobil product. The old ACDelco Dexos synblend was made by ExxonMobil. GM has historically seemed to have high regard for Mobil oil products. I think I posted on here the other day a study done by GM where they used Mobil 1 5w30 as a control oil that represented the best currently available. I'm curious if they're going to just use identical Mobil Super Full Synthetic or a slight variation.

Well that explains my confusion when visiting the GM dealers quicklube for a full syn change. When I told the rep I wanted a full syn oil change he asked which one, Dexos 2 or Mobil 1? I said Mobil 1 it's the best and is Dexos licensed. He then stated that he gets his changes for free and he picks Dexos 2 over M1. The Dexos 2 storage container states full synthetic, and the rep says he's seen Dexos 2 motors torn down and they looked better than motors ran with the mighty M1. For my wife's Trailblazer we went for the cheaper Dexos 2 full synthetic, most likely made by Mobil anyway.

I would love to see the add pack of this dexos gen 2 full syn

Originally Posted By: Neil_A
Well that explains my confusion when visiting the GM dealers quicklube for a full syn change. When I told the rep I wanted a full syn oil change he asked which one, Dexos 2 or Mobil 1? I said Mobil 1 it's the best and is Dexos licensed. He then stated that he gets his changes for free and he picks Dexos 2 over M1. The Dexos 2 storage container states full synthetic, and the rep says he's seen Dexos 2 motors torn down and they looked better than motors ran with the mighty M1. For my wife's Trailblazer we went for the cheaper Dexos 2 full synthetic, most likely made by Mobil anyway.

You do know that Dexos 2 is not the same thing as the Gen 2 Dexos 1. Dexos 2 is the GM European and Diesel Oil specification and came out the same time as Dexos 1. As far as I know the only vehicles in North America requiring Dexos 2 are the small Diesels in the Cruze, Canyon/Colorado and specified as "ok" to use for Track use in the LT1. The latter likely just because it is a heavier oil that carries a GM spec.

Dexos 1 is xW-20 and xW-30 FE oils and Dexos 2 are xW-30 and xW-40 oils with an HTHS of 3.5 or better.

If I went into my local dealer and asked for Dexos 2 they would be giving me the European/Diesel spec oil and not Gen 2 Dexos 1 which is what I suspect that GM quicklube is doing. Especially if he is saying he has seen engines torn down already on Dexos 2 and Gen 2 Dexos 1 just came out recently.

However, interesting that he states he is seeing better wear on Dexos 2 oils.

I have two vehicles that specify 5W-30 and Dexos 1. One is now out of warranty and I am toying around with the idea of running a European spec oil in it since it is a DI and shears oil pretty badly. UOAs haven't been bad but not great either compared to a non-DI car and wonder if a thicker higher HTHS oil would be better.

Originally Posted By: ABomb369

You do know that Dexos 2 is not the same thing as the Gen 2 Dexos 1. Dexos 2 is the GM European and Diesel Oil specification and came out the same time as Dexos 1. As far as I know the only vehicles in North America requiring Dexos 2 are the small Diesels in the Cruze, Canyon/Colorado and specified as "ok" to use for Track use in the LT1. The latter likely just because it is a heavier oil that carries a GM spec.

Dexos 1 is xW-20 and xW-30 FE oils and Dexos 2 are xW-30 and xW-40 oils with an HTHS of 3.5 or better.

If I went into my local dealer and asked for Dexos 2 they would be giving me the European/Diesel spec oil and not Gen 2 Dexos 1 which is what I suspect that GM quicklube is doing. Especially if he is saying he has seen engines torn down already on Dexos 2 and Gen 2 Dexos 1 just came out recently.

Talking with my wife she tells me there wasn't a sign saying dexos 2, the label said dexos full synthetic. My brain must have thought 2 since the original dexos was synthetic blend.

Talking with my wife she tells me there wasn't a sign saying dexos 2, the label said dexos full synthetic. My brain must have thought 2 since the original dexos was synthetic blend.

Ok, that makes sense.

My local GM dealer still uses the ACDelco Synblend as I just got my first "freebie" change done and it said Synblend on the sheet. I don't usually use them for anything but when I did ask what they carried they said they do Valvoline bulk for the conventional and full synthetic changes and the ACDelco synblend bulk for warranty changes on 2011+ vehicles. They also did M1 Changes but had it on the shelf in 5 quart jugs and charged an arm and a leg for that service. Like double the price of the regular full synthetic change using VSP.

I won't buy anything from them as they don't budge on price and sell everything at MSRP. They quoted me $25 for a gallon of Dexcool and $10 for an ACDelco oil filter one time I did go in so I never went back. I was only there this time to get one of my free changes.

I would suspect the new Full Syn ACDelco is or is really close to Mobil Super Syn.

I would like to see some more info on the new Dexos 1:2015 specification and what changed from the previous 2010 spec. Especially if now we are seeing Full Syn oils now instead of Synblends.

I thought about running Mobil 1 5w30 ESP in my Silverado because of the better HTHS numbers, but then I opted not to because the specs clearly state Dexos1.

With dexos2 targeted toward the diesel car offerings and the new Colorado/Canyon 2.8L diesel. The larger Dmax still has a recommendation of CJ-4.

It appears the new generation dexos ACDelco synthetic oil is not made by mobil. I saw a quart bottle of it today at the dealership, the bottle is identical to those made by Connco Phillips, it is a 100% match to a quart of Kendall GT1 high performance full synthetic that I have on hand.

Originally Posted By: ABomb369

I was only there this time to get one of my free changes.

I have a free oil change or two coming from my dealer. I won't ever use it though because they've done shoddy work on my car in the past and it takes at least two hours for them to do anything. That's why I'm interested in knowing about up and coming oils - I don't trust them to keep track of that for me. (If anybody from GM is interested in details, PM me).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back