Dexos 1 Gen 2 vs Dexos 1 Gen 3

I have a 2019 Chevy Colorado with V6. I run 5w30 Mobil 1 and a factory Delco oil filter. The old Mobil 1 jug is marked Dexos 1 Gen 2 and the new jug is marked Dexos 1 Gen 3. Can I mix this stuff? I assume it is compatible but wanted to check.

Thanks in advance for any advice. :)

You should be fine, Dexos 1 Gen 3 is essentially GF-6A with some harsher limits, I'd suspect API SP Mobil 1 already meets those standards, I noticed last year that it's only 0.9% ash which is a requirement of Dexos 1 Gen 3, so it's likely they were already preparing for the transition before the labeling change.

According the the lubrizol chart, Dexos gen2 is much better than gen 3 for wear, while gen 3 is only marginally better than gen 2 in 2 other categories.

If my car is rated for gen2... will I be able to find some at my favorite store?

Dexos 1 Gen 3 has been a rolling change. It’s now been about a year since the blender change over happened.

Eventually the Dexos 1 Gen 2 licenses will fall off and everything will be Gen 3. Everything is compatible besides some things large distributors had to do for tankage change overs back around February.

Interesting. Perhaps someone can post those charts once again. There's certainly nothing wrong with D1G2-rated oil...

Dexos 1 Gen 3 should be the same or better across the board.

Any worry about the graph showing less wear protection, is because GM removed one of the wear tests in Gen 3. Thus it ranks lower than Gen 2. Because that test doesn’t have to be done.

But when that test is applied, it exceeds Gen 2.

According the the lubrizol chart, Dexos gen2 is much better than gen 3 for wear, while gen 3 is only marginally better than gen 2 in 2 other categories.
Looks to me like dexos1 Gen 1, 2 and 3 all show the same level of wear protection - item #6 on the spider chart.

1662102729460.jpg

Back