Gen 2 dexos

Status
Not open for further replies.
GM is bringing out their new generation 2 dexos at dealers and parts departments. The new ac delco is a full synthetic in 5W30 and 0w20. I couldn't find any information on it on the PIOA site. Does any one have any info on the add pack?

Very interesting, have they put out a new list of which oils are making the cut for generation 2 yet. If there is a push to move toward sodium I bet you're Valvoline synpower will become a popular choice for GM owners

Interesting comment in the Onorite article re LSPI in DI engines: "Automakers have mitigated LSPI by introducing additional fuel at the points where LSPI is likely to occur."

So, if you have a DI engine with fuel dilution issues, there's a good part of the reason why. This implies traditional knock sensors don't detect LSPI, fuel is added based on likliehood of LSPI rather than actual occurrence and running a higher octane fuel would not make a difference. And with ultra-high gearing in some DI/transmission combinations (e.g. CVTs), conditions "...where LSPI is likely to occur." may encompass a pretty wide spectrum of conditions including highway cruising. Highway driving used to be wher fuel dilution was least-likely to occur; this logic may now be upside-down. Matches my experience, anyway...

May be a good time to grab one of the past port-injected new cars and keep it until this stuff has matured.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHRATA
I couldn't find any information on it on the PIOA site.

I wouldn't think you would, nor should you in the near future. I certainly can't speak for the PQIA, but their job isn't to provide us VOAs; it's to do some spot checking to ensure compliance with label claims. Given that AC Delco oil is sold almost exclusively at GM parts counters, it's made for General Motors, and its primary claim to fame is a paid GM specification, it's really up to General Motors to ensure that it complies with its label claims.

waiting for the Lubrizol comparison tool
35.gif

Based on what they are saying in those write ups, do you think there will be a push towards sodium add packs?

Interesting...since the new Delco syn is just repackaged Mobil Super Syn....

I heard this before about the delco syn blend, but never saw it published anywhere. Have you seen any literature on the new Delco full syn?

At first this Gen 2 dexos1 certification sounds like another way for GM to make money on a "new" dexos certification that was not needed. But I have been wrong before. This is a global shift to motor oils lighter than 0w20 such as 0w8. This shift to lighter oils is driven by 2025 fuel economy requirements (54.5 mpg). For me the most important part is that the improved fuel economy of these lighter GF-6B oils will last over a longer oil change interval, which says "durability" and is a very good thing... assuming all other aspects can last longer too (oil filters, additive packages, etc etc). Not going to open that can of worms but the new dexos specs will be interesting to see how the story plays out.
This thread is a good on-point question about the additive pack, which I know nothing about but will be interested to learn.

I'll watch developments from the sidelines while continuing to select : PPP 5W30 , QSUD 5W30 or M1 5W30 (which ever is on roll back at WM) .

why even bother with oil? just develop a liter than solvent fluid to carry an add-pack....geez.

It does make sense to be coming out with a revised dexos1 package with GF-6 coming down the horizon. It certainly makes a lot more sense than waiting for GF-6 to be loaded for shipping and then running to the truck with a binder containing the new specifications and yelling, "Wait!" like someone else essentially did.
wink.gif

Dexos 1 (2010) licenses end Dec. 31st. 2016 . So who of the majors (SOPUS , Exxon / Mobil , etc.) will announce new Dexos 1 (2015) licensed oils ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back