Gear oil or ATF on guns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any additives in gear oil or ATF that would harm the finish on a firearm? I am considering trying the 50-50 ATf/gear oil mixture.

I wouldn't want all the sulfur compounds in a gear oil on my gun, especially if there are any brass/bronze components that could be corroded by it. ATF would probably be harmless, but... why?

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
but... why?

I can't believe you would ask that on this forum.....
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Doog
but... why?

I can't believe you would ask that on this forum.....
lol.gif

I ask it a LOT... but rarely out loud. :p

Are there any additives in gear oil or ATF that would harm the finish on a firearm? I am considering trying the 50-50 ATf/gear oil mixture.

Metal finish or wood finish or polymer parts?

ATF would be the safest for metals, wood, or polymers.

I have used the ATF but only in the Eds Red recipe for bore cleaning...
Eds Red-
1 part Dexron II, IIe or III ATF
1 part Kerosene - deodorized, K1
1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits, Fed. Spec. TT-T-2981F, CAS
#64741-49-9, or substitute "Stoddard Solvent", CAS #8052-41-3, or equivalent, (aka "Varsol")
1 part Acetone, CAS #67-64-1.
(Optional up to 1 lb. of Lanolin, Anhydrous, USP per gallon, OK to substitute Lanolin, Modified, Topical Lubricant, from the drug store)

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Metal finish or wood finish or polymer parts?

ATF would be the safest for metals, wood, or polymers.

I have all 3. What would gear oil do to polymers?

I wouldn't want all the sulfur compounds in a gear oil on my gun, especially if there are any brass/bronze components that could be corroded by it. ATF would probably be harmless, but... why?

+1

I would be comfortable using a decent synthetic ATF, can't say the same about gear oil. Of course, that's assuming I either don't have another option or I am not overly worried about corrosion resistance.

Originally Posted By: buck91
I would be comfortable using a decent synthetic ATF, can't say the same about gear oil. Of course, that's assuming I either don't have another option or I am not overly worried about corrosion resistance.

If I'm worried about corrosion, I use something designed specifically to prevent corrosion, which in this case is Krown or Rust Check (the stuff you put on cars). If it will prevent rust in a Canadian winter, blasted with salt spray, it is going to do just hunky dory in my gun cabinet
wink.gif

I really am a fan of using products for their designed intent.

Gear oil goes in diffs. "gun oil" goes on guns.

Arguing that a diff sees the same/similar forces as a firearm and therefor should use the same lube is like saying the diff and transmission are seeing similar forces and should use the same fluid.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: Ws6
"gun oil" goes on guns.

So "Fireclean" should go on your salad?

Only if you cook with those oils. I am picky about how I cook food. Coconut or olive oil for chicken, vegetable oil (soy) for nothing. Since we don't know what oils Fireclean uses, it's kindof hard to say if I'd use it or not to cook with.

Last edited:
"gun oil" goes on guns.

Only if you cook with those oils. I am picky about how I cook food. Coconut or olive oil for chicken, vegetable oil (soy) for nothing. Since we don't know what oils Fireclean uses, it's kindof hard to say if I'd use it or not to cook with.

Glad to see you're right back to making zero sense again. Nothing new there!

"gun oil" goes on guns.

Glad to see you're right back to making zero sense again. Nothing new there!

You have no experience in this matter, nor understanding of what you're talking about, and have never even touched the products. Give it a rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back