Gear lube as a high-pressure engine oil additive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Most of the ruckus, IIRC, is due to improper break in ...or if you have some real high pressure spring rates. There are plenty of pushrod engines that use contemporary oils without any issues. Look at what they use for the sequence IIIG test for an engine. It's not some roller valve train engine.

I have been in contact with several major cam mfgs. (Lunati, CompCams, Crower) and while the issue is primarily with improper break-in they all said it's also a problem with properly broken-in cams. Comp cams has a break-in oil additive they strongly recommend using all the time, according to them it has a formulation very similar to GM EOS.

In one of my cars I do run an aggressive solid lifter flat tappet cam so I am concerned. I've already been through one engine failure due to a wiped cam lobe (different circumstances, not an oil spec issue) and certainly don't want to repeat that.

I know this issue has been beaten to death around here but I really appreciate all the info and expertise. I'm due to change the oil in that car this summer and am planning to go with a 15-40W HDEO like Rotella T or Delo. I currently have Castrol GTX 10W-30 SM in the car (which has 2K miles on rebuild) and was going to add some of the CompCams additive as a safe measure until the next change. Someone please tell me if this sounds like a stupid idea.

Thanks for the info MGB, any particular reason you recommend SX-UP? I can get the CompCams additive locally, none of the places I've checked carry the C2K SLOB, or 75K stuff which I was also considering. has anyone heard anything bad about the CompCams stuff? Thanks.

The effects of EP additives that attack copper-based materials are well known (to some). What may not be known is that some EP additives in gear oil can attack ferrous materials when they are activated by heat, even if these additives are friendly to copper. And compared with your differential, there are plenty of hot spots in an engine!

Don't do it!

Quote:

If you want a lot of zinc, then go with a diesel/spark spec oil like Delo 400. Also has lots of moly.

That's my plan on the next oil change early this summer. I was just looking at a way to add a "safety factor" to the current fill which very fresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back