GDI Oil Consumption Cause(s) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ChrisD46
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Assuming you have serviced your carboned-up intake by now........ maybe try this next time....
I noticed Walmart now sells STP Synthetic Oil Treatment. Get a bottle of that (16oz?) and four quarts 21oz of RGT 5w30 (thick).
My 2.4 holds 5 quarts and 5oz. So I'm guessing yours is the same.

Thicken up your brew by going to this thick 5w30 and high viscosity @ 100cst and still be a SN Plus Dex1/G2 oil.

*33K miles on 2017 Theta II 2.4L GDI engine ; I have used CRC Intake Valve Cleaner approx. every 12K miles . I'll use a 5W30 D1 / Gen 2 rated synthetic oil next OCI (QSUD 5W20 was only to establish a worst case base line OCI over 4K miles) . In 5W30 grade : QSUD , Pennzoil Platinum , Castrol , Valvoline Advanced or M1 . I won't add a product like STP to the oil - if the engine doesn't work out with my synthetic oil protocol I'll take it up with Hyundai (along with all my oil receipts) to establish an oil burning trend with this engine .

What mileage did the consumption start?

Maybe the quality control of some manufacturers is all over the map and that's why one guy claims no oil loss, while another with the same engine burns a quart every 3,000,

Originally Posted by wdn
Maybe the quality control of some manufacturers is all over the map and that's why one guy claims no oil loss, while another with the same engine burns a quart every 3,000,

Could be. That's what I like to also ask how they broke-in their engines. You would think in the year 2020 we'd have a definitive answer on that.

Wouldn't fuel dilution be an issue for GDI in general, and not just turbo GDI?
My girlfriend's Malibu has a 2.0L LTG (GTDI) with 94k miles, I observed that it would consume about 2-3 qt every 7500 mile OCI. For a 5400 mile road trip, I had to pour in 2 qt of make up oil. I poured in a bottle of MMO and so far the oil consumption has either stopped or slowed down.

My theory was the rings were packed with carbon or needed cleaning, because whoever took care of the car before 68k miles didn't do a good job. There was visible sludge/residue inside the fill port and dipstick. The Cadillac and Chevy dealers at the time claimed (to her) that a semi-synthetic 5W-30 was all she needed, and she followed the oil monitor change interval. I was going to modify the PCV system (the turbo inlet seems to suck in blowby from the cam covers) but someone else suggested it was excessive blowby.

*Consumption (1 qrt. make up oil over OCI of approx. 4K miles) has always been a trait of my Theta II GDI engine .
Originally Posted by ChrisD46
Assuming you have serviced your carboned-up intake by now........ maybe try this next time....
I noticed Walmart now sells STP Synthetic Oil Treatment. Get a bottle of that (16oz?) and four quarts 21oz of RGT 5w30 (thick).
My 2.4 holds 5 quarts and 5oz. So I'm guessing yours is the same.

Thicken up your brew by going to this thick 5w30 and high viscosity @ 100cst and still be a SN Plus Dex1/G2 oil.

*33K miles on 2017 Theta II 2.4L GDI engine ; I have used CRC Intake Valve Cleaner approx. every 12K miles . I'll use a 5W30 D1 / Gen 2 rated synthetic oil next OCI (QSUD 5W20 was only to establish a worst case base line OCI over 4K miles) . In 5W30 grade : QSUD , Pennzoil Platinum , Castrol , Valvoline Advanced or M1 . I won't add a product like STP to the oil - if the engine doesn't work out with my synthetic oil protocol I'll take it up with Hyundai (along with all my oil receipts) to establish an oil burning trend with this engine .

What mileage did the consumption start?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back