GDI Dominates Ward’s 10 Best Engines List

Status
Not open for further replies.
This year’s winners and the applications tested:

3.0L TFSI Supercharged DOHC V-6 (Audi A6)
2.0L N20 Turbocharged DOHC I-4 (BMW Z4/528i)
3.0L N55 Turbocharged DOHC I-6 (BMW 335i coupe)
3.6L Pentastar DOHC V-6 (Chrysler 300S/Jeep Wrangler)
2.0L EcoBoost DOHC I-4 (Ford Edge)
5.0L DOHC V-8 (Ford Mustang Boss 302)
2.0L Turbocharged DOHC I-4 (Buick Regal GS)
1.6L DOHC I-4 (Hyundai Accent/Kia Soul)
2.0L Skyactiv DOHC I-4 (Mazda3)
3.5L DOHC V-6 HEV (Infiniti M35h)

10 best

I'm definitely going to look at the Mazda 3 Skyactive Diesel as soon as it arrives in the USA.

Glad to see the Pentastar engine on there.
And no surprise on the Nissan V6... For a while I think they were on the list like 10 years running with the VQ.

I always find it interesting when "winner's are chosen
without them even being PROVEN over time in the marketplace.
Guess they aren't aware of all the "GDI" problem issues
out there. Kind of like a kid athlete out of college
being invited to the a professional players Hall of Fame.....

Originally Posted By: CMMeadAM

apparently you haven't heard that most of the DI problems have been eliminated/mitigated due to design modifications, and better oil specifications.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Originally Posted By: CMMeadAM

apparently you haven't heard that most of the DI problems have been eliminated/mitigated due to design modifications, and better oil specifications.

Do we really have enough data to be able to make such statements at this point? What is the highest mileage DI engine you've heard of with a tear-down proving that it has no intake valve deposits?

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Do we really have enough data to be able to make such statements at this point? What is the highest mileage DI engine you've heard of with a tear-down proving that it has no intake valve deposits?

I agree it is still too early to say the issues are completely mitigated.

Until then I'm a bit of a skeptic, you have to be as a consumer, after all you are spending what... an average of
27,000 dollars on a vehicle?. You can't afford to NOT be skeptical.

Arrrr.... Its true.....Arrrr
05.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream

Arrrr.... Its true.....Arrrr
05.gif

As the owner of a 2012 Hyundai Veloster 1.6, I would luv to see some documentation that confirms your observation. Please provide.

The thing that surprises me is that only 1 V8 made the list. The fact that it is a Ford 5.0 doesn't surprise me.
grin.gif

And I'm not sure why the Pentastar is on the list. EcoBoost 3.5 should be in that spot.

I'm still watching for a 4 cyl that outperforms the 2.3 DISI MZR turbo as found in my Mazdaspeed3. At 263 HP and 280 lb/ft, it puts out 116.5 HP/L and 121.7 lb/ft/L.. This little dynamo was designed in about 2005 and the market is just starting to catch up. Now, if only Mazda would drop it in a RWD chassis....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
I'm still watching for a 4 cyl that outperforms the 2.3 DISI MZR turbo as found in my Mazdaspeed3. At 263 HP and 280 lb/ft, it puts out 116.5 HP/L and 121.7 lb/ft/L..

Mitsubishi Lancer Evo: 2-liter 4-cylinder, 291 HP, 300 lb/ft, and AWD.

I'm still watching for a 4 cyl that outperforms the 2.3 DISI MZR turbo as found in my Mazdaspeed3. At 263 HP and 280 lb/ft, it puts out 116.5 HP/L and 121.7 lb/ft/L..

Both porsche and ferrari beat that without any boost at all!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Both porsche and ferrari beat that without any boost at all!

He said "4 cyl".
smile.gif

I'm kind of surprised the 1.4L multiair engine from the Fiat 500 isn't on there. It seemed pretty impressive in the rental 500 I drove. Seemed to have a decent amount of low end torque and got good mileage at 75mph on the highway. It would be interesting to see what their top 20 or 30 engines are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back