GC in Toyotas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am getting ready to try GC in both my Toyota vehicles. The first due for an oil change is my 2003 Matrix (approx 53.5k) with the 1.8l 2ZZ. The second, due in a few months, is my 2004 Tacoma (approx 32k) with the old 2.4l(not sure of the engine code). Has anyone used GC in these engines before and if so, what kind of results? I haven't waded through the umpteen pages of UOA's and wouldn't really understand them anyway. Both engines spec 5W-30 and I stick with a 5k OCI. I would be willing to "maybe" try a 10k OCI with a filter (OEM) change at 5k if the numbers are good (I would actually pull a sample around 3.5k depending on the Blackstone turnover rate). Thanks in advance for all your assistance.

German Castrol should be just fine. The 0W just means it is a bit more conducive for cold weather starting. Not too much difference in 5W and 0W when GC is the oil. I mean, the 30 weight is the top end viscosity that will be there when the motor is well warmed up and at operating temps. I've even read that it is a good 30+ weight, maybe more like a 35 weight oil. You're in Columbia, not too far from Sumter, and winter there is like summer in Montana!
grin.gif
But the 0 won't be a problem in cooler winter months, since it's not even a problem in summertime use. The oil just starts moving around a little easier is all.

Darth-Sidious.jpg

Winter lows here usually only reach the mid teens (15-18) overnight, once or twice during the season. Night time lows are only in the 20's or low 30's. My concern isn't really the cold temps (I'm running Mobil 1 5W-30 now). My concern is the wear/operating properties of the oil. Will GC be too "thick" for my engines as it is such a high 30W?

I started GC in my V6 Avalon @60k. I'll do another UOA @ 80k in about a month. Last results were good. Engine runs like a Swiss watch on GC. Cold start ups below zero - no effort.

Been running GC in my 96 Tacoma with the 2.4 for alittle over 2 years now. No UOAs but it seems to have eliminated the very small piston slap at start-up and quieted the valvetrain down too. No noticable increase/decrease in mpg or performance. I run between 5K and 7K intervals but base the changes more on gallons of fuel consumed vs. total miles driven.

I've been using GC 0W-30, here in the Texas Hill Country, in our Sienna for over 20,000 miles. 7500 mile OCI. Absolutly NO PROBLEMS.

Also use the GC 5W-40 in the Turbo Beetle. NO PROBLEMS.

Its the best you can get!

Quote:

I've been using GC 0W-30, here in the Texas Hill Country, in our Sienna for over 20,000 miles. 7500 mile OCI. Absolutly NO PROBLEMS.

Also use the GC 5W-40 in the Turbo Beetle. NO PROBLEMS.

Its the best you can get!

the 5w-40 isnt GC its BC (belgium castrol.) get with the program
tounge2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back