GC in diesel applications

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the TDI Club, someone asked about "cheap" 30-weight options -- cheaper than Elf Evolution 0w30 at $10-13/liter, that is.

And in his case I believe it was for a 2002 TDI engine, so not requiring the VW505.01 or VW506.01 specification.

I guess I made the mistake of suggesting German Castrol 0w30 or Amsoil HDD 5w30 -- and then remarking that I didn't know if the GC would be good for a normal 10k-mile OCI. And I got challenged on that, for suggesting that any VW505.00-rated oil might NOT be suitable for a 10k-mile OCI.

I've been through much of the "GC & Euro/Import Oils" forum, and the diesel forums, and the VOA and UOA forums. And I can't find a definitive answer.

It seems as though GC 0w30 is an outstanding oil for gasoline engines, at extended drain intervals. But, does it have the right stuff to run 10k miles or more in a TDI or other turbodiesel with EGR application?

tdimaniac reported switching from M1 5w40 to the GC back in March, and mentioned a couple others (truman and fowvay) who were using it.

Note that I am not considering GC in my own 2003 TDI -- I'm trying out the Elf Evolution, then will probably return to Mobil Delvac 1 unless the Elf results are truly outstanding.

And IMO the Amsoil HDD 5w30 is a safe choice for TDI owners.

But I would like more info so I can properly advise others.

It's been a full week, and nobody wants to comment on the use of GC in a diesel engine.

That's okay, I wasn't planning on using it anyway. I just wanted information, if anyone had any.

I'd say any of the VW 505.00 oils is a second choice to a CI-4+ formulation in this application. From what I've seen, the CI-4+ oils allow you to run 10K+ even if you're using poor quality diesel fuel.

I'm sure the GC will last for 10k in this application, but the results may be less than stellar.

TS

GVC would work, and IIRC, its rated GM-LL-B (diesel long drain spec), so it must be fairly robust.. however there are more and better additive packages to use in such an oil.

I dont quite see why a 30wt oil is so preferred, the fuel ecoomy increase will only be a very small bit, and that engine is really specced for 40wt, right?

Amsoil 5w-30 HDD isnt all that cheapm but would be a top notch choice. It has the newer CI spec, and seems well formulated.

Personally, Ive found M1 5w-40 such a great choice in our MB diesels, that I would run it in any auto diesel around... so long as it was specced for a 40wt oil. IIRC, delvac 1 has been a TDI's lifesaver over the years, keeping the goopy black buildup out of the intakes, and keepng the engines running top notch and super-efficiently.

JMH

It meets the specs. But, when other proven choices are available that are known to perform very, very well, it is hard to recommend an oil without a proven track record in the TDI application.

-brian

It's been another week, and I thank all of you for your responses.

TooSlick, I appreciate your comments, but if I took your "VW 505.00 oils [are] a second choice to a CI-4+" back to tdiclub, I would get creamed. Even though I believe you are absolutely right.

Maybe not every API CI-4+ motor oil is better than every VW 505.00 motor oil. But based on all the experience and the testing that people have done with Mobil Delvac 1 5w40, it seems clear that Delvac is better than every 505.00 oil, or at least those available in North America.

As for GC, I think I may continue to mention it, but will decline to recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back