GC extended OCI in VW Sludgemonster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

By the way, I'd really like to know if any US import VW and Audi vehicles have by now the flexible service interval display and if they are equipped for LL service. I keep asking this question and nobody ever answers it.

I know the US Audi A3 does not have flexible serice intervals, and still has fixed mileage service warnings.

That's what I heard, too. I also heard AoA requires VW 502.00 spec oil in the 2.0T(urbo) FSI (Direct injection) engine.

My point is, the VW 503.01 spec is an extended drain spec capable of very long oil change intervals, but I fail to see how that necessarily makes this oil spec "better" than the proper VW 502.00 spec, especially if the US models are not equipped for LL Service to begin with. Just because a VW 503.01 oil can handle 40k km oil change intervals it does not mean this oil will be any better than a VW 502.00 spec oil if the OCI is 15k km.

What exactly is different about the VW engines that are equipped for LL service intervals?

I can't even imagine the ribbing a BITOGer would get if he suggested he was planning on a 19k mile OCI in a Passat 1.8T.

quote:

Well, are all oils that meet VW 503.01 only Group IV and possibly some Group V, or are some VW 503.01 oils Group III (with possibly some Group IV or Group V) in it?

By the way, I'd really like to know if any US import VW and Audi vehicles have by now the flexible service interval display and if they are equipped for LL service. I keep asking this question and nobody ever answers it.

I've looked into all these questions myself. I don't think anything in the 503.01 spec specifically requires that base oils are only Group 4/5, but I also have not found any Group 3 oils that meet this spec. So I think that means that it is at least very difficult to meet that spec with Group III basestocks. One of the best oils I know of that is based on Group III basestocks is this one made by LiquiMoly (LubroMoly): http://www.liquimoly.de/web/lmhomeus.nsf/pages/index_produkte
It even meets MB 229.5 which is tough to do, but doesn't meet 503.01. The "HC Technology" you see near the top of the screen indicates this is a hydrocracked (Group III) oil. I think it's a new oil too.

This non-U.S. forum discusses the 503.01 spec, as well as other VAG specs. http://www.tyresmoke.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=a3&Number=284298&page=0&fpart=all
Guy named "oilman" on there is particularly knowledgable. His own website is here and lists many oil product data sheets: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/lubricants.htm

I have never heard of a VAG car sold in the U.S. having the flexible service interval installed on it. That doesn't mean it hasn't happened, but I doubt it. Maybe that will change if/when the Audi S3 or some other awesome car comes here.

It does seem to me like the 503.01 spec is definitely harder to meet than the 502.00 spec. What makes me most happy is when an oil meets both...like the Gold German Castrol! Although the bottles of Gold I've seen don't list the same specs that Castrol's website do...I assume the labels are just old.

VWs and Audis equipped for WIV (Wechselintervallverlängerung or "extended drain interval"), aka "Long Life Service," have a flexible service interval display that takes into account

- time and distance driven
- oil condition (sensor) based on several factors
- other scheduled maintenance

One example I recently heard was that one particular new SEAT (VW) with WIV required (per display) its first scheduled oil change at about 20k km, the second one was due at 37k km.

I recall reading that the engines that require the 503.01 spec (and thus have flexible service intervals) use different oil pumps (higher flow rate) compared to those requiring 502.00 spec oils. But I don't remember where I read that and that is only what I recall so take it with a grain of salt. An internet search may confirm or deny that.

If I had a Euro car that said 503.01 oil had to be used, I'd certainly use an oil that meets that. I won't go so far to say that a 503.01 oil will better protect an engine that requires 502.00, but it is apparent that it's harder for an oil to meet 503.01 than 502.00, for whatever reasons. An oil that meets both specs removes all doubts of suitability and meeting the 503.01 indicates that it can go the distance.

Except I'm confused on one point: the Audi 225TT requires a 503.01 oil, but I don't think it has a flexible service interval in the U.S. Oh well, hopefully that detail doesn't really matter to us anyway. This is all such a confusing mess.

quote:

This is all such a confusing mess.

Not really. Well maybe. Probably.

To my best knowledge, the 165 KW turbo TT, turbo S3 and turbo RS4 high-perf engines require VW 503.01, but only if on LL Service, otherwise they require VW 502.00.

quote:

I recall reading that the engines that require the 503.01 spec (and thus have flexible service intervals) use different oil pumps (higher flow rate) compared to those requiring 502.00 spec oils.

As far as I know, the modified pump applies only to vehicles equipped for LL Service and the LOW-HTHS spec VW 503.00 that has never been applicable in any US VW/Audi model.

Here, the VW/Audi/Skoda variable serice intervall is down to 30,000 km (~20,000 miles) from 50,000 km (30,000 miles) they used to have. At least on the 1,9 TDi engine.

That makes sense what you said, moribundman. Building on that and assuming that no car sold in the U.S. has the LL service, that means that no VAG car sold in the U.S. has required the 503.01 spec. And none of the cars sold in the U.S. have the high-flow oil pumps. Agree?
grin.gif

JAG, presuming all those assumptions are true, I agree. I'm a member on Audiword and I have in the past attempted to find out specifics from the owners of late model Audis, but getting accurate information is no picknick.
tongue.gif

Well, I agree that a 503.01 spec oil may not be any better at preventing wear than a 502 oil. To me, though, an oil that lasts longer and keeps me from having to change it so often, for the same amount of money, is a BETTER oil!

If that's your definition for "better" than that's fine. Despite the lack of the flexible service display ou can of course achieve the same extended drains by monitoring oil condition via UOA. Taking that to the extreme, in the end that's of course more costly than changing the oil. I feel confident going 10k miles with an A3 or VW 502.00 rated oil (or M1 5W-40, which is what I'm actually using) in my normally aspirated engine. I don't think I'd benefit from a VW 503.01-rated oil, in fact when I used M1 0W-40, oil consumption went up. VW 503.01 was designed for those really log OCIs of 20, 30 and up to 40k, maybe more, km. Then this oil spec is certainly indicated!

Wow, my first post and it's already been hijacked!
tongue.gif
I do have to say that all this info is quite informative, but my head hurts taking it all in.

Maybe I missed the answer earlier, but my question was is GC the same as SLX LongLife II or Formula SLX?
dunno.gif

That would b the thousand dollar question, and no-one really knows but a few in Castrol I would venture, and good luck getting an answer out of them.

I recall reading that the engines that require the 503.01 spec (and thus have flexible service intervals) use different oil pumps (higher flow rate) compared to those requiring 502.00 spec oils.

IIRC, these VAG engines with the special high flow oil pumps are the ones w/ the dry sump lubrication.(i.e. W engines, etc).

flipb5, welcome! But I don't think your thread was hijacked, if you go back and read your original question, you asked if you should stick to a 5k oci or go to something longer. And I think we hashed it out for you! BTW, GC is believed (and there is good evidence) to be Formula SLX. The SLX Longlife II oil is a thinner oil and does not carry the specs of SLX or now SLX Longtec (gold GC).

"Is there anything mechanically different in the engines of the Euro VW's that have flexible service intervals?"

Yes. The real long-oci FSI engines which use the SLXII (low HT/HS) oil have roller-rockers and other "mods".

FTR- I went 11k/6 months twice with GC in my V6 30v Audi. No regrets, but I am planning on going 4mo/8k since I DIY oil changes now and have so freakin' much GC stored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back