GC Castrol Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have only been in the U.S. for the last 2 years,the rest was in Germany where Castrol synthetic flows off every shelf.Thanks to the good folks here at BITOG i as able to track down my usual 0w-30.I have a couple of questions and this sure seems like the source for an answer.
1 Is the German 0W-30 the same as the old 0W-30 RS that we used in the old country?
2 The replacement for the RS is Edge are we getting this in the export version?I notice the word Edge on the bottles i bought last week at AZ
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/productdetailmin.do?categoryId=9011732&contentId=7022030

I don't understand all the fuss about liquimoly,Motul and elcheapo Pentosin.Is it the just fact that they are German?
Liquimoly is sold everywhere even OBI (German Home Depot) and only considered to be an run of the mill Joe handyman oil,while Castrol is pretty much exclusive to auto parts stores and held in much higher regard.

Trav, two years ago the Castrol Syntec 0w-30 had a green color and the same specs and color as the Formula SLX in Europe. At the beginning of '05, it changed to a gold or clear color and had the same specs as the Longtec, which replaced the SLX in Europe. The newer Edge oils on the UK Castrol website meets the newer API SM and that has yet to appear on the back of any bottles here, so I don't think the Edge has made it over yet. But it probably will at some point if they keep importing the 0w-30, which could stop, they quit importing the 5w-40 and it's now blended in the US.

Thanks for the info.Its great to find such a wealth of information in one place.I just hope my family can send me some of the new Edge by UPS
laugh.gif

I believe the 0w-30 "Made in Germany" oil is SM rated, just not GF-4, which is the fuel economy spec. No big deal. Trav, out of curiosity, does Castrol have a better reputation then Mobil in Germany? What about some of the U.S. small blenders like Redline and Amsoil?
smile.gif

Quote:

I believe the 0w-30 "Made in Germany" oil is SM rated, just not GF-4, which is the fuel economy spec. No big deal.

Actually, the latest batch of GC I purchased (M06152) is still SL rated:

GC_M06152_Rear.jpg

I would have to say Castrol has a better reputation than Mobil in Germany,It seems Castrol hasn't gone after the manufacturers as first fill oil and marketing with stickers under the hood with as much zeal as Mobil has but that hasn't really improved their brand loyalty.I can only judge from what i see in the garage and the store shelves,Castrol stock moves very quickly,the Mobil 1 hangs around for ages(usually sold at deep discounts as discontinued product because its been there so long).I remember back in the 80s and early 90s when synthetics really came into their own Mobil 1 was usually sold in 15W-50 weight while Castrol was RS 10W-60,This was the oil that Castrol built their reputation on.As i have learned at BITOG in the U.S. the small blenders are the ones who are making the superior products Possibly equal to or maybe even better than GC,but they have not found much of a market in Germany,its hard to compete with GC quality/price on their own turf.There are also a huge variety of oils there Mobil,Motul,liqimoly.Agip,Shell,Pentosin,Esso(original Exxon name kept in the hope of fooling the environmentalist after the Exxon Valdez accident)Aral,BP,Elf,Total Fina, and many others,while they all have niche markets i.e. Motorcycles(Motul) and small engines they take a back seat to Castrol for automotive use.I think Germans see Castrol as an "oil" company and most of the others as gas station operators.

Quote:

It seems Castrol hasn't gone after the manufacturers as first fill oil and marketing with stickers under the hood with as much zeal

My Volvo owners manual recommends Castrol products, and I am told that the factory fill is a Castrol Syn bland.

There were only two "RS" in Europe: initially 10W-60 and jointed later by 0W-40. GC discussed here was known in Germany under Formula SLX and DCO Top up (green) and Formula SLX Longtec and Castrol Edge (gold).

Quote:

There were only two "RS" in Europe: initially 10W-60 and jointed later by 0W-40. GC discussed here was known in Germany under Formula SLX and DCO Top up (green) and Formula SLX Longtec and Castrol Edge (gold).

You maybe right but there were more than 2 RS versions.i remember the RS 10w-50 and I'm wondering if there was a 10w-30 before all this magnatech,longtech this that and the other.I guess it could have been a 10w-40 but i will have my son look around for an old 5ltr jug.
http://www.mapodo.de/index.php/language/en

Can we order from that Castrol site? look like the 0W-40 would be a great oil for a VW 2.0T FSI engine.

David

In my previous post it should have been 0w-40 not 10w-40 but i couldn't find a way to edit it.
Dave i havn't yet tried to ship oil to the U.S. I sent them an email and will post the reply when it comes.
As far as how many RS versions were in Europe i believe some versions i.e. the 10w-50 were exclusive to Germany for retail sale although some may have been re-sold elswhere.

Quote:

I have only been in the U.S. for the last 2 years,the rest was in Germany where Castrol synthetic flows off every shelf.Thanks to the good folks here at BITOG i as able to track down my usual 0w-30.I have a couple of questions and this sure seems like the source for an answer.
1 Is the German 0W-30 the same as the old 0W-30 RS that we used in the old country?
2 The replacement for the RS is Edge are we getting this in the export version?I notice the word Edge on the bottles i bought last week at AZ
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/productdetailmin.do?categoryId=9011732&contentId=7022030

I don't understand all the fuss about liquimoly,Motul and elcheapo Pentosin.Is it the just fact that they are German?
Liquimoly is sold everywhere even OBI (German Home Depot) and only considered to be an run of the mill Joe handyman oil,while Castrol is pretty much exclusive to auto parts stores and held in much higher regard.

Motul is French.
In my opinion there best is better than Castrol’s. Castrol are very good at marketing and capturing manufactures as first fill and recommended fill (like BMW's filler cap..."BMW recommends Castrol"). Don’t get me wrong here Castrol make fine oil, but at the top end I don’t think they are the leaders and I am sure there will be exception to this comment here, but that is fine.
When you look at severe use and abuse... like in motorcycles; you have to wonder why Yamaha and Suzuki recommend Motul (and first fill with) when the Castrol alternative is cheaper...
smile.gif
Although Honda use Castrol so there is an arguement there. Or take Lemans, Motul is in more of those cars that any other oil and the amazing thing is that what you buy in the can as 300V is the same stuff that they sell to those racing teams..and that is one of the guarantees from Motul that differentiates it from other manufacturers.

I stand corrected.Many of the other brands i mentioned are not German but are sold there,elf,Fina,Agip etc.Comparing Suzuki and Yamaha to Honda.Honda and BMW Engines are noted for their extreme durability and while Suzuki and Yamaha may be a fast engine its not one of the more reliable units when subjected to daily use for 100.00 miles.Fact is no oil will make an engine more durable when there are design flaws internal changes would be needed to do that.While its true Castrol is used by a few manufacturers as first fill Mobil has been much more aggressive in that dept,Daimler Chrysler,Porche,GM.Finally just because an oil finds it way into racing engines is IMHO really not a valid argument,These engines do not have the stop and go,cold start,long drain intervals,and don't need many of the additives of daily drivers.They are not as many would have you believe that hard on motor oil,Most of the issues with these engines is the valve and piston head areas not the rotating bearing supported areas,as a rule they use a dry sump systems with a huge capacity and large coolers making life easier for the oil,any modern oil would work just fine.Motul is using these racing scenarios to attract customers through racing,to have people believe that if it can stand up to a racing engine imagine what it can do for your car.FWIW Castrol has been in the Racing area for many decades and the oils used can also be purchased.
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=8262001&contentId=7008668
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/genericarticle.do?categoryId=8262004&contentId=6003486

Quote:

why Yamaha and Suzuki recommend Motul (and first fill with) when the Castrol alternative is cheaper... Although Honda use Castrol so there is an arguement there. Or take Lemans, Motul is in more of those cars that any other oil and the amazing thing is that what you buy in the can as 300V is the same stuff that they sell to those racing teams..and that is one of the guarantees from Motul that differentiates it from other manufacturers.

Somewhat different applications. Motul is an Ester based oil ,like Redline. (Group V). These types of base oils have a higher film strength and can handle heat better than PAO and any other base oil. This is why they are used in Jet engines. So for racing, where one would need an oil to withstand the high heat and shearing forces, this type of oil would be ideal. Mobil's MC oils contain esters as well and are very shear stable.

"elcheapo Pentosin"
So Pentosin is a value brand in Germany? And they charge some $15 for a bottle ATF1 here.
crazy.gif

The oil they sell to their top racing customers is not the same stuff you can get...thats where Motul are different.
Also racing for 5000KM flatout over 24 hours...large capacity dry sump, big oil coolers and seperators etc etc...is about as hard a pounding of oil as you will ever get and can assure you normal oil will never cut it in that environment. I agree its different to normal daily driving, but its a good way of showing how well your oil stands up to a proper thrashing.....how many oils on the market state zero shear on their oil....I only know of one...Motul 300V.

Quote:

Can we order from that Castrol site? look like the 0W-40 would be a great oil for a VW 2.0T FSI engine.

David

FWIW, I was told by the nearest Autozone manager that in the US, you can't ship motor oil. I assume he was talking about UPS and the like. I imagine it has to go common carrier with the flamable placards....?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back