GC 0W-30 and M1 0W-40 - Where To Find?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am getting ready to purchase a new Audi S4 and am trying to get my ducks in a row for oil changes. It looks like the GC and M1 "european" oils are the best choice for this engine. Both have the required ratings from Audi and are on the approved list.

Where are you finding these oils? I did see the GC at Autozone, but quarts only at $7.99/ea. I was hoping for jugs at Wal-Mart, but I guess neither would be a hot seller there. I was originally planning on the PU European version, but have given up on them ever getting it out into the NA retail channel.

Any tips on the cheapest places to find these two oils or PU European?

Thanks.

Best advice from me is wait until they go on sale in a oil change special at Advance, Kragen, Pep Boys, Autozone etc. You can use the oil in the Audi and the filter on another one of your vehicles.

AutoZone and Pep Boys carry GC not sure who carries the M1 0W40

It's tougher to get good deals on the speced oils...since those specs cost substantial money.

A lot of people use Rotela Synth 5w-40 for the inbetween free dealer services. It actually has a similar additive pack and does the same job as Syntec 5w-40, the "dealer oil". That approach is completely valid. Leave the filter on and either drain the engine or use an oil extractor.

I have a new VW 2.0T and am a little more brave than the average owner. I use different 5w-30 synths, GC and dealer changes. A lot of oils work fine in these engines, depending on climate and driving style. The Euro specs assume 130mph flat out on the Autobahn and 10k change intervals. In fact, the thinner oils work better in many ways with wear being the same or less than 5w-40 Euros.

You don't have to settle for 5w-30 synth from a jug or Rotella 5w-40 if you would use Mobil 1 10w-40 or 10w-30 Hi-Miles, but I doubt that for some reason. If you read up about the M1 HM, you may actually ~want~ it verses typical Euro oils.

Local Autozone just finished a sale on Castrol synthetics and I picked up eight quarts of GC for $6.00 a quart.

Autozone rotates sales between different brands on a regular basis; trick is to call them and find out what will be on sale in upcoming months and plan your purchase based on that. Figure the same approach for some of the others autoparts stores.

Virtually all the major autoparts stores carry Mobil 1 0W-40.

You can purchase Pennzoil European formula through Pennzoil: https://www.buypennzoilultra.com/index.cfm

Originally Posted By: Sunstealer

Where are you finding these oils?

GC at AutoZone or PepBoys. M1 0w-40 at most auto part stores and sometimes Wal-Mart.

Quote:

I was hoping for jugs

Better luck at a strip joint. :)

Neither GC nor M1 0w-40 comes in jugs.

Buying oil is like buying clothing.
If there is something you really want, just wait for a sale.
Both PB and AZ have regular oil change specials on Syntec, which will include GC.
M1 0W-40 is widely available, and you even see it at many Walmarts.
The chain parts stores often offer M1 as part of an oil change special.
There are also pretty regular rebate offers on M1, and sometimes on Syntec.

Advanced AutoParts has M1 0w-40 on sale: 5 quarts and an M1 filter for $33 until the end of October.
I have 2 OCIs left of 5w-30 EP left, so I might stock up on this since I want to switch to it next.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie

I have a new VW 2.0T and am a little more brave than the average owner. I use different 5w-30 synths, GC and dealer changes. A lot of oils work fine in these engines, depending on climate and driving style. The Euro specs assume 130mph flat out on the Autobahn and 10k change intervals. In fact, the thinner oils work better in many ways with wear being the same or less than 5w-40 Euros.

Yup. I have over a decade now with several 1.8T VAG cars, and as an example of this, see my oil analyses from several years ago comparing Mobil 1 - 5W30 Tri-Syn, SuperSyn, and 0W-40.

Prior Tests in 1.8T

They all did very well even in my modified 1.8T, and in fact the 5W30 grades did better than the 0W-40 (although test conditions were not the same).

Last edited:

Which non spec oils have you used in your new VW 2.0T?

Oh, I've used a few now. Drained FF at 1000 miles to a lot of glitter for a jug of RP 15w-40 I had acquired in a game of chance. AFter 3500miles, I went to the QS synth 10w-30 witha shot of Valvoline SynPower Oil treatment (high visc PAO plus Moly). I'm trying to hold off one the Edge 5w-30 till Dec. Then I have dealer Syntec 5w-40 for summer and German Syntec for fall...2 years of that Castrol cycle.

I also have some SynPower 30s, Valvoline Racing Synth 10w-30 and 20w-50 to mix. 3 jugs of Mobil 1 High Miles and mixed viscs of Ultra.

I would love to see a UOA on just one of those non spec oils. Seems like an oil that meets ACEA A5/B5 is good enough for you.

Exactly. This Edge UOA is encouraging...

Edge_7500mi_uoa.jpg

A lot of guys are just now getting focused on Euro 5w-40s, and have no clue that the actual speced oil is VW 504 5w-30 in Europe, lol.

I'm assuming low visc with high additive levels is a good combo. Call me crazy.

The Mobil 1 High Miles oils seem made for VAG engines. If I was buying oil from the store, this is what I'd use. I however have to use my stash up from oldest to newest. Most oils I have will be as much as five years old when used. I have GC from 2004 now and some Mobil 1 0w-30 SL that is even older for the Astra.

Now that I mentioned the Astra, there is an example of an engine that specs 5w-40 synth in Europe but as a Saturn import only 5w-30 dino. There are simply hoards of guys on the internet with a tad of info on Euro oils and think they have it all figured out. No offense to anyone here, but even in this group I think there are just a few guys who actually "get it".

btw- I am doing a UOA on the Edge to verify suitability of light 30s in my app (for winter). This will save me a bunch of money since I can just use the jug 5w-30 I already have.

btw- I am doing a UOA on the Edge to verify suitability of light 30s in my app (for winter). This will save me a bunch of money since I can just use the jug 5w-30 I already have.

Great. I was hoping you would do the UOA on the Edge 5W30.

The current Mobil1 High Mileage 10W30 and 10W40 both meet A3/B3, SL. They were $21 for a 5 qt jug at Walmart while they had the sale. I'm sure you would save a bundle and have easy access if this oil or others work well in your engine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back